Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:17 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So junk plans. Great "alternative" to actual health insurance.
"Junk" is in the eye of the beholder. Who knows my situation (financial health and physical health) better than me ?

For instance, before the entire ACA/Obamacare thing, I had a good comprehensive health plan with a $200 dollar deductible, now after the implementation of the ACA, I have a very similarly comprehensive plan, but my deductible is now $3,000. Oh, and my rates now are far higher for my "new and improved" plan featuring a higher deductible. Sound about right to most of you with health insurance ?

So tell me, which one was/is more of a "junk" plan ? You seem to know others situations, and what plan would be best for them very....so I'm curious.

To put this in another context, I recently had a car/deer collision incident. I have a $1000 dollar deductible. Most of the people I mentioned this to said "ouch" about the high deductible....but to me, it has made perfect sense over the years to have higher deductibles on my auto insurance since I have had very few claims and don't mind having a little "skin in the game" so to speak. Funny thing is my relatively high car deductible used to be a lot more than my health insurance deductible.....now it's way less.

So is my high deductible car insurance a "junk" plan ? Perhaps it shouldn't even be allowed to be offered to me. Perhaps everyone should be mandated to have a $250 deductible. Your thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:21 PM

937 posts, read 926,951 times
This sound peculiarly similar to ****ty buckets of Credit Default Swaps...

Old 02-21-2018, 12:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
"Junk" is in the eye of the beholder. Who knows my situation (financial health and physical health) better than me ?

For instance, before the entire ACA/Obamacare thing, I had a good comprehensive health plan with a $200 dollar deductible, now after the implementation of the ACA, I have a very similarly comprehensive plan, but my deductible is now $3,000. Oh, and my rates now are far higher for my "new and improved" plan featuring a higher deductible. Sound about right to most of you with health insurance ?

So tell me, which one was/is more of a "junk" plan ? You seem to know others situations, and what plan would be best for them very....so I'm curious.

To put this in another context, I recently had a car/deer collision incident. I have a $1000 dollar deductible. Most of the people I mentioned this to said "ouch" about the high deductible....but to me, it has made perfect sense over the years to have higher deductibles on my auto insurance since I have had very few claims and don't mind having a little "skin in the game" so to speak.

So is my high deductible car insurance a "junk" plan ? Perhaps it shouldn't even be allowed to be offered to me. Perhaps everyone should be mandated to have a $250 deductible. Your thoughts ?
They are not junk plans because of the deductibles, the problem is they cover NOTHING. 2 examples I can give from when I was a waiter with a low cost health insurance plan extremely similar, if not identical, to the plans that the President proposed yesterday.

1. I got bronchitis. Went to the doctor because ain't nobody got time for that! . I did not get any coverage from the insurance company, even though I paid extra for an EPO, because I had bronchitis two years ago and it was a "pre-existing condition". Its a bad cold, it happens every year, and if a cold is pre-existing, anything can be.

2. Broke my finger. My mom insisted on taking me to the hospital because it happened right after work. Wasn't Workers' Comp, since I was off the clock, so I hoped some would be picked up from the insurance. It was, a whopping $960 out of a bill close to $10K.

These plans are designed to deny any and all treatment as unnecessary while pocketing the premiums. It is a scam through and through.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Then buy Obamacare. It's still out there for any of you who want to buy a full package. Why are Democrats so determined to take away alternative health care packages?

I buy Obamacare and think it won’t be there and I need it.
I’ll have to buy a junk policy.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
They are not junk plans because of the deductibles, the problem is they cover NOTHING. 2 examples I can give from when I was a waiter with a low cost health insurance plan extremely similar, if not identical, to the plans that the President proposed yesterday.

1. I got bronchitis. Went to the doctor because ain't nobody got time for that! . I did not get any coverage from the insurance company, even though I paid extra for an EPO, because I had bronchitis two years ago and it was a "pre-existing condition". Its a bad cold, it happens every year, and if a cold is pre-existing, anything can be.

2. Broke my finger. My mom insisted on taking me to the hospital because it happened right after work. Wasn't Workers' Comp, since I was off the clock, so I hoped some would be picked up from the insurance. It was, a whopping $960 out of a bill close to $10K.

These plans are designed to deny any and all treatment as unnecessary while pocketing the premiums. It is a scam through and through.
^^^This. The high deductibles are often a problem for people in lower-paying jobs, but they are also only the tip of a very large iceberg.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,353 times
If you have ANY notion of how insurance works, you can see what a terrible idea this is. It is going to allow profit-driven insurance companies to push up consumer cost of policies for pre-existing conditions (I once had a policy that stated pregnancy was a pre-exisiting condition if I got pregnant within the first 6 months of the policy), older individuals, high-risk individuals (you work with caustic substances? sucks to be you), as well as high-coverage, low deductible policies. That's where we came from.

Oh, and do you know who pays for health care if a shallow policy doesn't cover treatments/care? Who do you think? ALL OF US. So that 28 yo who doesn't think she needs coverage is suddenly diagnosed with cancer or has a stroke--and it happens--we'll all contribute to the Go Fund Me, right? And we'll make sure she is cared for at home, and she has all her meds & follow-up. Then, her insurance company will drop her altogether. Hello, tax hike!

Some of you need to get it into your narrow minds that sometimes, just sometimes, we have to look at what is best for us as a country, not just "me right now." When your hospital, which is probably a for-profit entity, decides to pull up stakes and leave so they don't have to lose money on all the un/underinsured patients, what will you do? When your insurance rates skyrocket because they can, what will you do?

Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,281 times
You guys should realize that these plans have been around for years - low premium, high deductible, limited coverage for a year or less. It's meant for emergency coverage when major medical isn't available. So this whole line that the Cheeto Messiah has a new golden offering for his followers is a massive load of BS. And I have no idea why Fox News is lying to you. United Healthcare offers these plans right now.

It's like some dude trying to sell you your own shoes claiming they're new and improved.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I think this is a great idea.
From Fox News -
"The Trump administration moved Tuesday to allow health insurers to sell lower-cost, less-comprehensive medical plans as an alternative to those required under ObamaCare – in a plan that drew swift protest from congressional Democrats.
The proposed regulations would allow insurers to sell individual consumers "short-term" policies that can last up to 12 months, have fewer benefits, and come with lower premiums.
The plans also would come with a disclaimer that they don't meet the Affordable Care Act's consumer protection requirements, such as guaranteed coverage. Insurers could also charge consumers more if an individual's medical history discloses health problems."
Dems fume as Trump pushes low-cost, ObamaCare alternative health plans | Fox News
The economy is in recovery mode but a lot of people are still just getting by, especially millenials burdened with student debt. The last thing they needed was a full care package with full price rates. This will be an excellent alternative.
Sure, it is a great idea--as long as people understand pre-existing conditions are not covered under short term policies (which may include cancer), and a number of other things are not covered, either.

I would make anyone who buys one sign a rider/affidavit that states they can afford to and will pay for ER care, so the rest of us aren't stuck with their bills. And they should be made to pay. Consequences of taking a risk.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
You guys should realize that these plans have been around for years - low premium, high deductible, limited coverage for a year or less. It's meant for emergency coverage when major medical isn't available. So this whole line that the Cheeto Messiah has a new golden offering for his followers is a massive load of BS. And I have no idea why Fox News is lying to you. United Healthcare offers these plans right now.

It's like some dude trying to sell you your own shoes claiming they're new and improved.
They are the same policies, they are just trying to extend the length to a year, so I'm not sure why they are even calling them 'short-term'. They should just call them 'partial policies.'

Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post

Once insurance companies are allowed to deny pre-existing--it is up to them to decide what conditions are pre-existing.

And you would be shocked to see what some of those companies do consider 'pre-existing' and not covered (after you file the claim, of course).

It's like giving them free reign not to pay out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies