Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:29 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Simple solution. Fail them. Don’t attend class, you don’t pass.
For one walk out?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:32 AM

37,224 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
We are not that old cuebald!

Come on...we have one more left in us, don't we? I am on my way to a demonstration next week. It still feels right! They need us!
I'll be out there with them next month. Have no fears about that. Wouldn't miss it!

By "young enough", I simply meant that I couldn't be there with them in school to physically make a statement.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM

37,224 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
I would look you dead in the eye and pee on your leg as I left.

If the choice is between failing and being shot, your bombast and authoritarianism don't bother me a bit. Go stand in the corner and beat your chest or something, and get out of the way of people trying to improve things, for you as well as them. As a teacher, you are just as subject to be the one who catches a bullet.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:41 AM

1,225 posts, read 606,048 times
Quote:
For one class and for exercising their constitutional rights? Gosh I hope that that class wouldn’t Be civics

Old 02-25-2018, 08:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
A school around here had a walk out, but many of the parents got angry because they claimed their kids had no ideas on what they were actually trying to accomplish thru this. One friend of mine has 2 girls at the high school, and told her girls to stay in their classrooms unless they KNEW why they were participating in the walk out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The majority DON'T know why they are walking out and that's the thing....people see this as some sort of "sign" that these soon to be voters are going to turn things right around! But they won't. I mean, things will change like they always do with political parties going back and forth and always talking about how the other side will never get into power again (HAHAHAHAHA) but it's not going to be because teens have suddenly become politically savvy. There is definitely a push to get them to think/vote a certain way right now though since vote-getting is what it's all about by professional politicians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
LOL most of these kids only want to skip/miss class, I really doubt most of them care one way or the other.
I don't know where you live or where your kids go to school, but the Parkland kids and others I've seen interviewed, sound extremely knowledgeable and articulate about this issue--much more so than the president. Dismissing and disparaging them may make you feel better, but I think you are using the usual excuses to sweep away the reality of what is happening.

Adults said the exact same thing in the 60s, and those kids changed the politics of the country and the country itself. Politicians underestimate them at their own risk.

"...The question of whether students can protest during school hours was in fact addressed by the U.S. Supreme Court nearly half a century ago. And, in light of that case, legal experts tell TIME that, because it’s so broad, the Needville policy as expressed in the Facebook message is likely unconstitutional..."

"..In 1969, the court ruled that students do not “shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate,” as Justice Abe Fortas put it in the majority opinion for Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District..."

Declaring '#NeverAgain,' students remember Florida school shooting victims

Can Students Protest During School? What Supreme Court Said | Time

Old 02-25-2018, 08:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
The longer they stay out of government school, the better. Maybe enrollment will drop so much government schools will have to be abolished.

#Iwish
100,000 public schools in the US.

About 1/5 of the population is inside a school on a daily basis.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I would look you dead in the eye and pee on your leg as I left.

If the choice is between failing and being shot, your bombast and authoritarianism don't bother me a bit. Go stand in the corner and beat your chest or something, and get out of the way of people trying to improve things, for you as well as them. As a teacher, you are just as subject to be the one who catches a bullet.
I understand you don't trust anyone but yourself around a gun.
That is the same exact reason I pack heat. I don't trust other people either.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Ironically, they are safer on the streets than in school. If someone tries to attack them, at least there’s a chance a CPL holder could defend them.
Most schools have not and will not experience a mass shooting no matter what is done, or not.

But when it does happen....

Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't know where you live or where your kids go to school, but the Parkland kids and others I've seen interviewed, sound extremely knowledgeable and articulate about this issue--

Would you not expect them to be? They are getting graded for the drama class they all attend. They have memorized their scripted lines well by now. The show has ran for a week now, with spectacular reviews...

Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
We had a walk out when I was in high school. They took our smoking pit away from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies