Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the second amendment should be kept or repealed
I’m conservative and think it should stay 107 56.02%
I’m conservative and think it should be repealed 2 1.05%
I’m conservative and think it should stay but greatly reduce the types of weapons citizens can own 14 7.33%
I’m liberal and think it should stay 20 10.47%
I’m liberal and think it should be repealed 5 2.62%
I’m liberal and think it should stay but greatly reduce the types of weapons the average citizens can own 43 22.51%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

You know, of course, that if you repeal the 2nd amendment, the Fed govt still will have no authority to infringe the people's right to keep and bear arms. Don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Do you think the second amendment should be kept or repealed?
Heck I think all gun laws are unconstitutional, including background checks. It is a means to infringe on a free persons rights.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:46 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
The choices are not that simple.

I picked keep it and reduce the number of weapons. HOWEVER, you need to make sane choices in that regard, and I also didn't see anything on this list about universal background checks before purchase, keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and people on the no-fly list, etc.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:50 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If it is proven that he covers for them, he can go to jail with them.

Laws will never be obeyed completely, but that is no reason not to have them and enforce them.
Does that cover immigration law as well?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Self Defense using a firearm, or other means is a Natural Right we posses as human beings. Forced licensing, and the other items you'd like won't stop criminals from getting guns illegally. These are "feel good" measures that only affect the Law Abiding. I don't trust government to fairly administer any of the things you mention.
Since most mass-killers have bought their weapons legally, it would be more than a feel-good measure. The FL shooter would not have been able to get his gun.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:03 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Well, there you have it. Just look at those poll results, and see how liberals fall for ambiguous "solutions" rather than specificity. Consider how many of them jump on the bandwagon to "greatly reduce" the number and types of weapons allowed. And that means....?

Don't worry, though. Conservatives will continue the fight for rights--yours and ours.
I am an Independent who leans a little right in her old age but I agree on banning "types" of weapons owned by ordinary citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The founders had great wisdom by granting your right to bear arms, so don't be a fool and give away your birth right; they risked everything to give you this right.
Those founders were writing about MUSKETS. That was the gun in their day. I doubt they ever imagined automatic assault rifles or even semi-automatic handguns. Semi-automatic handguns are okay, I own one but the assault weapons need to be banned for the general public.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 AM

763 posts, read 379,777 times
I'm a liberal (left of center really, but there wasn't an option for that) that thinks the second amendment should remain as is. I also think it is unconstitutional to ban semiauto rifles like the AR-15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I am an Independent who leans a little right in her old age but I agree on banning "types" of weapons owned by ordinary citizens.

Those founders were writing about MUSKETS. That was the gun in their day. I doubt they ever imagined automatic assault rifles or even semi-automatic handguns. Semi-automatic handguns are okay, I own one but the assault weapons need to be banned for the general public.
There were semi auto rifles in existence before the Constitution was created and ratified. Surely the founders were aware of the Girandonin Air Rifle.
http://www.guns.com/2011/03/15/the-g...nder-pressure/

If they were really only speaking of muskets in the 2nd Amendment, they would have said the word "musket" rather than the word "arms."

Last edited by user491; 02-25-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Do what Australia did. Change the law, and fine and jail anyone who is caught with a contraband weapon after the clemency period. Like so. US$280K and 14 years.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/06/asia/...sty/index.html

This is America. You have the right to choose to become a criminal if you so desire, and remain one until you're caught.
I bet you're a big fan of the war on drugs, aren't you?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Heck I think all gun laws are unconstitutional, including background checks. It is a means to infringe on a free persons rights.
No. The founders wanted the people aka militia to be well regulated.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:08 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Those founders were writing about MUSKETS. That was the gun in their day. I doubt they ever imagined automatic assault rifles or even semi-automatic handguns.
They were also writing about quill and pen and primitive printing presses when it came to Free Speech/Press. So is the Internet, Social Media, Cable News, etc., exempt from 1st Amendment Free Speech/Press Rights? Is that where you're going with this? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies