Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times

Advertisements

And people have the nerve to talk about the “3rd world.” That sounds like some 4th world police state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:24 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've seen the police put sub-stations in strip malls, they completely ended crime. As far as schools are concerned, it would probably depend on the buildings and cost.
I was thinking if they closed and sold their present buildings it would offset the setup/building costs somewhat. Obviously they couldn’t be throwing people in cells at that location so they would still need lockups.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:00 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
We have some rural schools that are 20 miles from the nearest police dept.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Substitute “entrance to campus” for “door”.
And in the case of this school 3000+ students through one entrance with metal detectors would take too long to get them all through. At 30 seconds per student it would take 25 hours to get all 3000 through the gate. You would need at least 25 metal detectors to get all of them through in an hour plus the additional 25 officers to man the metal detectors. What city has an additional 25 officers that have nothing to do for an hour or so in the morning? And this is only ONE school so multiply that by however many schools are in the district. (some schools may need more or less access points)

Old 02-27-2018, 11:29 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
How is it even feasible to lock down a school like that?

http://www.schoolyards.org/images/po...hool-After.jpg

Even in high school, we had sprawling outdoor campuses and were able to go off campus to grab food at shops nearby during breaks or lunches (which wasn't at the same time for all students; we scheduled that ourselves).

Sort of like this:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...39b7.image.jpg

Will schools have to become barbed wire walled compounds now?

Old 02-27-2018, 12:43 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And in the case of this school 3000+ students through one entrance with metal detectors would take too long to get them all through. At 30 seconds per student it would take 25 hours to get all 3000 through the gate. You would need at least 25 metal detectors to get all of them through in an hour plus the additional 25 officers to man the metal detectors. What city has an additional 25 officers that have nothing to do for an hour or so in the morning? And this is only ONE school so multiply that by however many schools are in the district. (some schools may need more or less access points)
It doesn't take 30 seconds per student to go through a metal detector, that's utterly ridiculous. It takes a second or two. If the thing goes off the kid is pulled to the side and the other students keep going through. I think my kids waited ten minutes one time, but most of the time it was two - three minutes or less. Their school had three detectors and I think at one time they may have had five (honestly can't remember now), they also had several wands. It was really no big deal, no one ever complained.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m sure this has been discussed here before. Why not require police be stationed at every school as a part of their work day? They could have their own building attached to the school and monitor security cameras while doing the business of their day to day.
Thugs that start fights can be sent directly to jail where the belong. No more detention.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It doesn't take 30 seconds per student to go through a metal detector, that's utterly ridiculous. It takes a second or two. If the thing goes off the kid is pulled to the side and the other students keep going through. I think my kids waited ten minutes one time, but most of the time it was two - three minutes or less. Their school had three detectors and I think at one time they may have had five (honestly can't remember now), they also had several wands. It was really no big deal, no one ever complained.
Never been to an airport then? "A second or two"? Seriously?

Old 02-27-2018, 12:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and my town of 24K residents will have to build 6 police stations all manned by a commanding officer and support staff 24x7? Yeah right.
No you don't have to have a police station at EVERY school.

I suspect a town of 24K doesn't have the same complicated security strategy required by a community with a high school of 5000 kids and multiple buildings.

But if a new school is being built and it is reasonable for a new police station -- why not incorporate it. I think high schools or middle schools, not elementary schools but could be if it works for the community.

Mandates -- not necessary.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
How is it even feasible to lock down a school like that?

http://www.schoolyards.org/images/po...hool-After.jpg

Even in high school, we had sprawling outdoor campuses and were able to go off campus to grab food at shops nearby during breaks or lunches (which wasn't at the same time for all students; we scheduled that ourselves).

Sort of like this:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...39b7.image.jpg

Will schools have to become barbed wire walled compounds now?
Kids aren't allowed to go off campus anymore. Times have changed.

My son graduated from a high school three years ago. When you drove up - -in the morning the gates to the student parking and the gate kiosk at the front were open -- buses coming in and going, parents dropping off (4000 kid high school two if not more buildings).

Once the 'bell' rang -- the campus is shut down. Only way in is the front door of either building (technically). If you are a parent or a student, you have to drive by and tell the guard kiosk why you are there and they direct you to get your badge. To get the badge from the front office you have to show your driver's license. Students have to show their student i.d. and they have to have their student i.d. on them and visible at ALL times.

To leave -- you have to hand in your b adge at the guard gate or the students have to show I.D. If they are leaving for an appointment they had in a piece of paper that says they have been given permission to leave (with a parent or on their own). If kids have 'early out' -- they have a code on their i.d. that shows they are allowed to leave early (or come in late).

They CANNOT leave just to grab a bite to eat during school hours.

My other sons went to high schools where the students weren't suppose to leave campus either. Once at school, unless you had a 'note' you or had early leave -- you were there.

In the middle school...of course easier -- kids don't drive themselves and they cannot leave during the day.

Elementary school, blah blah blah.

Some schools are now requiring all volunteers to get background checks -- prior approval...you just can't show up an expect to be able to volunteer.

All the schools I have been involved with have had an officer on campus. The high school has at least one and has staff patrolling the grounds in a golf cart making sure kids aren't sneaking in other kids through the back doors, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies