Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:30 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly, Carson said he was unaware of how a dining table, chairs and hutch ended up in his office.
LOL. I don't know how I got all this furniture in my office! It just appeared like magic!

My husband is a Federal employee. He was promoted recently. His "new" office furniture consists of a beat up metal desk circa 1985, a metal filing cabinet, and a desk chair that you can buy for $99 at Staples.

That should be sufficient furniture for ANY White House employee, Cabinet member, or Congressperson. They're not in their jobs to live in the lap of luxury; they're there to work for the taxpayers.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
And I thought my DX racer chair was expensive.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:39 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's absolutely ridiculous he is paying $31,000 of taxpayer money to redo his office whilst cutting billions from HUD.

He is just another grifter.

It's super ineffective that you play the race card everytime someone brings up a legitimate criticism of Carson.
Yet it was OK for the prior administrations to do the same thing? How about Hillary just up and taking the furnishings and you're going to sit here and complain about Carson - hypocrits - the bunch of you!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:42 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Watching the blatant racism of the lefties is disgusting. Attack the Black guy whenever possible, high-five!
Well, YOU are the only one that brought race into the thread, congrats?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:48 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Its kind of bizarre there is a 5K limit. That's not much money at all. I think she was exaggerating by saying you can't even buy a single decent CHAIR for that, but you could easily spend that on a couple of chairs, 2 or 3. And a desk can easily be more than $5K.

I know that our "representatives" in Sacramento are allowed (or just do) spend far more than that on their office space.

Even members of Congress spend more than that PER office, and they often have 4 or 5 offices.

I think the only scandal here is the unreasonably low limit placed on the office furnishings space for a Cabinet head. That's disgraceful, when Congress is blowing through huge sums of money on expenses and multiple offices and cross country first class travel and such.
So it is ok for Congress to blow through huge sums of money.....so the Cabinet should too?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:49 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,372,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Its kind of bizarre there is a 5K limit. That's not much money at all.

I think the only scandal here is the unreasonably low limit placed on the office furnishings space for a Cabinet head. That's disgraceful, when Congress is blowing through huge sums of money on expenses and multiple offices and cross country first class travel and such.
What is scandalous is "the rich and famous" with their extravagant tastes and thinking 5K is "not much money at all". 5K at Walmart will buy you a room full of furniture with enough left over for gas and food for at least a month.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
If you think that $5000 to refurnish an office is ridiculous, go look at what a new china service PER ADMINISTRATION has cost the American taxpapers, per President. (Hint - the outrage should be bipartisan.)

For some perspective, when we remodeled our kitchen, the cost was over $25,000. Dining room table and chairs ONLY was around $3500. And I don't live in a mansion. The DR table was from Havertys and was mid range in price.

When we bought our bedroom furniture the total cost of mattress set, bed, dresser, nightstands, mirror, and vanity came to well over $5000.

"Should" Carson redecorate his office? Maybe, maybe not. Anyone got pictures of the current office? Any idea what's in there now? Heck, the bid just to paint my downstairs in my house came to over $8000.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
What is scandalous is "the rich and famous" with their extravagant tastes and thinking 5K is "not much money at all". 5K at Walmart will buy you a room full of furniture with enough left over for gas and food for at least a month.
Yep, and two years from now you'll be wishing you had bought furniture at Havertys - LOL.

Do you really think that an executive of any company or in any position should furnish his or her office from WalMart?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Yet it was OK for the prior administrations to do the same thing? How about Hillary just up and taking the furnishings and you're going to sit here and complain about Carson - hypocrits - the bunch of you!
I thought the pictures of Hillary sneaking furniture out of her offices were pretty hilarious. Well, her movers. Hillary couldn't lift a shoebox without falling over most likely.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I don't recall anyone ever defending any of these sorts of expenditures for any adminstration.

Stop trying to deflect from what is happening with this administration, you know, the one that was supposed to drain the swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies