Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, and two years from now you'll be wishing you had bought furniture at Havertys - LOL.

Do you really think that an executive of any company or in any position should furnish his or her office from WalMart?
What I would expect of the executive is NOT to demote the admin person because he/she refused to break the government rules.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
What I would expect of the executive is NOT to demote the admin person because he/she refused to break the government rules.
Sorry - I haven't read the entire thread. Can you show me some unbiased, objective source which shows that Ben Carson demoted an admin person because he or she refused to "break the government rules?" Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:37 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,371,285 times
Quote:
Yep, and two years from now you'll be wishing you had bought furniture at Havertys - LOL.

Do you really think that an executive of any company or in any position should furnish his or her office from WalMart?
That was a "for example". Granted, at the opposite end of the spectrum.

But still, every day our government at every level exhibits lack of fiscal responsibility that the average American is expected to adhere to.

When you think there are hungry children in America, Vets with out homes or proper medical care when at the same, public officials can spend $31,000 of taxpayer money on extravagances is shameful. Thirty-one thousand is a pittance in their world. Every breath Washington bureaucrats take spends 10s of thousands of dollars every minute and they do not even think twice.

House and Senate members get a $1.2 million to $3.3 million allowance per year for staff and travel. Not to mention a gym, sauna, basketball court, inside trader information, a healthy retirement package, over 200 days a year off, health plan, death benefits and who know what else that takes place under the table. How many times to you think a new road gets put through the middle of no where and a congressman just happens to own land on that new road that suddenly turns into state free trade zone, or business park, or what ever.

Waste and corruption is rampart on all sides and if hot buttons are pushed and tempers rise then suddenly the citizens get a couple hundred dollar tax break to shut them up. Unfortunately, that's about all it takes.

Now they are talking about spending 4 Billion on a new Air Force One. Of course it will not stop at Air Force one. There is Marine One, a couple of dozen of them, limos, support vehicles, and the list goes on and on. The spending never stops. Four Billion Dollars would give every public secondary school in the United States over $150,000.

It does not take a rocket scientist or brain surgeon to figure out there is no fiscal responsibility in Washington. Its just a money grab to see how much they can get and then fight over.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:38 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Sorry - I haven't read the entire thread. Can you show me some unbiased, objective source which shows that Ben Carson demoted an admin person because he or she refused to "break the government rules?" Thanks in advance.
Very first link. The story came out because of a whistleblower.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
That was a "for example". Granted, at the opposite end of the spectrum.

But still, every day our government at every level exhibits lack of fiscal responsibility that the average American is expected to adhere to.

When you think there are hungry children in America, Vets with out homes or proper medical care when at the same, public officials can spend $31,000 of taxpayer money on extravagances is shameful. Thirty-one thousand is a pittance in their world. Every breath Washington bureaucrats take spends 10s of thousands of dollars every minute and they do not even think twice.

House and Senate members get a $1.2 million to $3.3 million allowance per year for staff and travel. Not to mention a gym, sauna, basketball court, inside trader information, a healthy retirement package, over 200 days a year off, health plan, death benefits and who know what else that takes place under the table. How many times to you think a new road gets put through the middle of no where and a congressman just happens to own land on that new road that suddenly turns into state free trade zone, or business park, or what ever.

Waste and corruption is rampart on all sides and if hot buttons are pushed and tempers rise then suddenly the citizens get a couple hundred dollar tax break to shut them up. Unfortunately, that's about all it takes.

Now they are talking about spending 4 Billion on a new Air Force One. Of course it will not stop at Air Force one. There is Marine One, a couple of dozen of them, limos, support vehicles, and the list goes on and on. The spending never stops. Four Billion Dollars would give every public secondary school in the United States over $150,000.

It does not take a rocket scientist or brain surgeon to figure out there is no fiscal responsibility in Washington. Its just a money grab to see how much they can get and then fight over.
Well, I agree with your rant, if that makes any difference (though I don't think we need to resort to furnishing Cabinet offices from WalMart). It's a bipartisan problem, that's for sure.

I don't think, however, that just generally speaking, $5000 to redecorate an executive office is exorbitant. I'd just have to see what was already in there to make a fully informed decision. We are missing a critical element of the discussion, not that that ever stops anyone from discussing it - LOL.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:52 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,058 times
Quote:
Well, I agree with your rant, if that makes any difference (though I don't think we need to resort to furnishing Cabinet offices from WalMart). It's a bipartisan problem, that's for sure.

I don't think, however, that just generally speaking, $5000 to redecorate an executive office is exorbitant. I'd just have to see what was already in there to make a fully informed decision. We are missing a critical element of the discussion, not that that ever stops anyone from discussing it - LOL.

Anything over 5K and he needed to get congressional approval. He circumvented this and retaliated against whistleblower. This literally shouldn't be a partisan issue at all. I'd be against any Dem doing the same. Dr. Carson is free to spend as much as he wants to redo his office and I agree a Cabinet level position should have an office commensurate with the title; however he should follow law and receive congressional approval to spend more than the cap. Case closed.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:

If they had only spent $5000.00, it wouldn't be the issue that it has become.

First there was the $31,000 dining set, which is, what $26,000 over budget for that one item, and now it's being reported that they've spent $165,000 for "lounge furniture."

Unless these costs came directly from Dr. and Mrs. Carson's pockets, there is absolutely no way to justify these expenditures.

None.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Very first link. The story came out because of a whistleblower.
OK, coupla things immediately jump out at me.

First of all, Carson didn't fire her.

Secondly, she wasn't an office administrator. She was a department head. She was a senior, career government employee.

Thirdly, she said that her supervisor said that "the administration had always found the money for this in the past." Well, that's a bipartisan statement if ever there was one, since prior to this office redo, the past 8 years had been under a Democratic administration. Where was she during that time? Oh, I'll tell you - she was working for the US Treasury for a couple of years. Prior to that, she was working in the White House and prior to that with Homeland Security with the Obama administration. Prior to Obama's tenure, she was an attorney.

In fact, the body of her professional career has been in cyber security, so how or why she got the job at HUD as Chief Administrative Officer is sort of a mystery, but I guess it's who you know, not what you know in Washington (sort of like "why is a former brain surgeon in charge of HUD now?").

Sorry, but I don't really think her claims are unbiased. But then, whose are?

I just know that a paint job in my dining room and office cost more than $5000.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:59 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,460,058 times
Quote:
OK, coupla things immediately jump out at me.

First of all, Carson didn't fire her.

Secondly, she wasn't an office administrator. She was a department head. She was a senior, career government employee.

Thirdly, she said that her supervisor said that "the administration had always found the money for this in the past." Well, that's a bipartisan statement if ever there was one, since prior to this office redo, the past 8 years had been under a Democratic administration. Where was she during that time? Oh, I'll tell you - she was working for the US Treasury for a couple of years. Prior to that, she was working in the White House and prior to that with Homeland Security with the Obama administration. Prior to Obama's tenure, she was an attorney.

In fact, the body of her professional career has been in cyber security, so how or why she got the job at HUD as Chief Administrative Officer is sort of a mystery, but I guess it's who you know, not what you know in Washington (sort of like "why is a former brain surgeon in charge of HUD now?").

Sorry, but I don't really think her claims are unbiased. But then, whose are?

I just know that a paint job in my dining room and office cost more than $5000.

again, he's free to spend whatever, as long as he gets Congressional approval over 5K, which he did not. This is the issue.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Anything over 5K and he needed to get congressional approval. He circumvented this and retaliated against whistleblower. This literally shouldn't be a partisan issue at all. I'd be against any Dem doing the same. Dr. Carson is free to spend as much as he wants to redo his office and I agree a Cabinet level position should have an office commensurate with the title; however he should follow law and receive congressional approval to spend more than the cap. Case closed.
Did Carson fire her? I can't find anything stating that.

She claims she was demoted in retaliation for her insistence on sticking to a budget. She was moved into a position as HUD's chief privacy and FOIA officer. If you check her LinkedIn profile, this particular position is in line with her previous positions involving cybersecurity within the Obama administration. Not sure if it's a demotion or not but it certainly seems to be a good fit for her previous experience.

She's a career government employee. Well, that is, she has been ever since the Obama administration. Prior to that, she was a private attorney. Her field of experience and expertise seems to be cybersecurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies