Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 08:26 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,077,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's not about justice, logic, nor rational thought, It is about Maxine, and the Democrats pushing propaganda to their base whom love to be VICTIMS as they can't take responsibility for their own circumstances. It is also about misplaced WHITE GUILT who still can't get over we had slavery over 150 years ago. White men fought and died in mass numbers, partially to end slavery, but I guess that is not enough for today's White Progressives.
There's is one of these times when I wonder did we all this for nothing?

As for Reperations, if that old skit from Dave Chappelle's Show aired back in 2003 is the kind of reperations then Maxime Waters dream of?
https://hooktube.com/watch?v=7ZFHG8wWC5s

How Maxine would react to that clip of an "alternate reality" of MLK speech from an episode of the Boondocks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FR1LGsT7E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 09:32 AM

1,704 posts, read 753,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's not about justice, logic, nor rational thought, It is about Maxine, and the Democrats pushing propaganda to their base whom love to be VICTIMS as they can't take responsibility for their own circumstances. It is also about misplaced WHITE GUILT who still can't get over we had slavery over 150 years ago. White men fought and died in mass numbers, partially to end slavery, but I guess that is not enough for today's White Progressives.
Guilt is quite a natural emotion. We generally experience that emotion whenever we've committed some type of a wrong.

IMO

White Americans shouldn't feel guilty about slavery. However, all Americans should feel guilty about not addressing past transgressions against both indigenous and African Americans.

While reparations in the form of cash would in most cases be counter-productive, reparations in the form of education would certainly prove to be a huge step in the right direction.

Please don't tell me that you don't believe that neither African-Americans nor indigenous Americans were victimized!

Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wow, talk about a heavy kool aid drinker...
Yeah, American history tastes pretty good once you've acquired the taste!

You should try it sometime....

Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yeah, "someone" swallowed a propaganda position "hook, line, and sinker."

I'm still waiting for someone to answer the following...

How do we know which black Americans' ancestors were slaves, and which ancestors were black American slave owners?

Black Americans, some of which were freed slaves themselves, owned Black slaves in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The inhumane atrocity of slavery was overwhelmingly executed by whites. The number of blacks who owned slaves was a very miniscule number. Therefore, don't worry about that insignificant number. Besides, there won't be any reparations in cash anyways...

IMO

All poor people could use some form of economic reparation for the financial hardships they've had to endure.

Let's just make the 4 first years of college tuition free for those who can't afford it, regardless of race.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:42 AM

14,089 posts, read 5,701,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Let's just make the 4 first years of college tuition free for those who can't afford it, regardless of race.
To what end?

At least a third of the undergrad majors/course of study at any university confer degrees with horrible real world ROI, simply because the corporate/business world that has the good paying jobs doesn't have a lot of need for people with extensive knowledge of medieval poetry, art history, ancient philosophy, etc.

Of note - people of lower ability gravitate towards the easier, lower ROI majors in college. We see this now, and have since the dawn of the "everyone must go to college" craze. Making that non-rewarding doesn't change the nature of the reward itself, it simply shifts the cost burden off the individual and onto the collective, likely raising that cost substantially.

Once again, we increase the cost and accomplish nothing. Seems like a standard SJW answer to any ill. Make it cost more, achieve nothing, declare victory!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,549,388 times
Quote:
The inhumane atrocity of slavery was overwhelmingly executed by whites. The number of blacks who owned slaves was a very miniscule number. Therefore, don't worry about that insignificant number. Besides, there won't be any reparations in cash anyways...

IMO

All poor people could use some form of economic reparation for the financial hardships they've had to endure.

All poor people . What if they decided to get pregnant or impregnated someone at 16 ?

What if they decided it was more fun to party than go to school ?

A lot of people can already go to college for free , but don’t . Also when you make something totally free. Most people don’t appreciate it.
They aren’t invested. Even if it’s a small amount they should pay something.

There isn’t a lack of opportunity . There is a lack of motivation in the country .

Someone truly explores every possible existing opportunity out there and then can’t make it . Then I’ll feel bad for them . Someone that just takes one class and drops out because smoking weed or hooking up was more fun . Sorry .

Old 03-14-2018, 11:47 AM

14,089 posts, read 5,701,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There isn’t a lack of opportunity . There is a lack of motivation in the country .
/thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,867,301 times
Quote:
Let's not complicate the matter. The entire system needs some form of modification.

Rather than approaching compensatory reparations, let's just reduce the gap between the rich and the poor through changes primarily in our educational system.
I only responded to the fact that black Americans can prove ancestry back to 1870 and before almost 90% of the time (or more).

In regards to reparations, I'll note it is hilarious that this thread is still going on.

But again, that the bill for reparations has been brought to the floor for over a decade now. Also that a reparations program is not specific to slavery.

Too often, too many non-black people ignore the fact that the black populations basically lived as a terrorized population from 1880 through 1970. If reparations would ever be provided, they would, could, and should be provided for that near century as it was the most damaging from the educational and economic perspective of black America.

There have been many threads on this forum over the years about reparations. As I have repeatedly noted, there are still black people alive today who have been financially harmed and medically harmed due to being survivors of terrorism inflicted upon the black population by white Americans and which the government overlooked and/or were complicit in. Reparations IMO should be in the form of medical care (including dental and psychological coverage) and educational scholarships at public universities along with a tax credit.

However, I'm not dumb enough to believe that reparations would ever occur. But if they did, that is what I'd want - not a check/money and I wouldn't want it to be based on slavery. If our ancestors would have been allowed equal opportunities after the Civil War, then we wouldn't have had the issues that many of you like to cite today as during the Reconstruction era, black people actually made great gains educationally and economically. You all should review a history by WEB DuBois called "Black Reconstruction in America"

Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM

13,685 posts, read 20,842,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I only responded to the fact that black Americans can prove ancestry back to 1870 and before almost 90% of the time (or more).

In regards to reparations, I'll note it is hilarious that this thread is still going on.

But again, that the bill for reparations has been brought to the floor for over a decade now. Also that a reparations program is not specific to slavery.

Too often, too many non-black people ignore the fact that the black populations basically lived as a terrorized population from 1880 through 1970. If reparations would ever be provided, they would, could, and should be provided for that near century as it was the most damaging from the educational and economic perspective of black America.

There have been many threads on this forum over the years about reparations. As I have repeatedly noted, there are still black people alive today who have been financially harmed and medically harmed due to being survivors of terrorism inflicted upon the black population by white Americans and which the government overlooked and/or were complicit in. Reparations IMO should be in the form of medical care (including dental and psychological coverage) and educational scholarships at public universities along with a tax credit.

However, I'm not dumb enough to believe that reparations would ever occur. But if they did, that is what I'd want - not a check/money and I wouldn't want it to be based on slavery. If our ancestors would have been allowed equal opportunities after the Civil War, then we wouldn't have had the issues that many of you like to cite today as during the Reconstruction era, black people actually made great gains educationally and economically. You all should review a history by WEB DuBois called "Black Reconstruction in America"
Ironic you think it funny that the thread is still going on yet see nothing funny that the reparations bill has been brought to the House floor for over a decade. As long as the issue is "kept alive", you should not be surprised people react to it.

Having noted that, you are correct about the post Civil War period. There should have been a Marshall Plan for the black population: Skill training, education, land grants, the works.

It is clearly too late and we live in a much better place now. Not perfect, but undeniably better.

Time to move on.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM

89,473 posts, read 45,156,209 times
Quote:
The inhumane atrocity of slavery was overwhelmingly executed by whites.
I'm not seeing that. Slaves were captured and sold into slavery by fellow Africans. Africans captured and enslaved each other for convenience and profit for thousands of years before the Atlantic slave trade even began, and STILL capture and enslave each other for convenience and profit, to this day.

The US was just a tiny part of that. Read and learn. The following slave trade map shows where African slaves were shipped. The larger the arrow, the higher the number:

Public Domain. Via the NEH (National Endowment for the Humanities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies