Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,758,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Then whoever instructed that teacher not to be there should be suspended without pay for the amount of time the student was suspended for. That classroom should have had a teacher in it. All of the classrooms should have had teachers in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That student disobeyed the rules.
Irrelevant to my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:34 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,842,436 times
Quote:
Irrelevant to my point.
What is your point? How do you know that a teacher didn't stay in the classroom to supervise the little jerk?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,758,866 times
Quote:
He was suspended for not reporting to a supervised study hall during the walkout which was the alternative provided to those who did not want to protest. He refused. If we are to have control and safety in schools, it has to start with students following the rules.
Quote:

He was just being a difficult little turd by not following the process for non-participants, which was largely to keep them supervised.
Quote:
What is your point? How do you know that a teacher didn't stay in the classroom to supervise the little jerk?
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM

4,217 posts, read 3,766,648 times
Quote:

He was just being a difficult little turd by not following the process for non-participants, which was largely to keep them supervised.
Non-participant's should have remained in the classroom to continue being taught by the teacher that was paid to be there.

If one wants to protest, that's fine, but it should not disrupt the lives of others. If I left my job to go protest, I would have to use vacation time or I would suffer the consequences. The nature of the protest is irrelevant, you have a job and you are required to be there.

Apparently its ok to walk out of the classroom to protest and prove a point, yet its not ok to "protest" in essence and prove your point by remaining in the classroom where you are supposed to be.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
The kid didn't follow the protocol for the rally/protest, etc. This is the same as walking off campus then wondering why you got hit with truancy. Gee, maybe you walked off campus. The student had the ability to go to study hall but didn't. I highly doubt this was known about so he could have God forbid asked his parents to take him out that day too. You can't play the victim when you don't follow the rules and the rules aren't ambiguous.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:48 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Non-participant's should have remained in the classroom to continue being taught by the teacher that was paid to be there.

If one wants to protest, that's fine, but it should not disrupt the lives of others. If I left my job to go protest, I would have to use vacation time or I would suffer the consequences. The nature of the protest is irrelevant, you have a job and you are required to be there.

Apparently its ok to walk out of the classroom to protest and prove a point, yet its not ok to "protest" in essence and prove your point by remaining in the classroom where you are supposed to be.
Why would teachers fight to instruct students for 17 minutes instead of just doing what the school board instructed the schools to do?

That's completely ridiculous.

Why is everyone defending this kid for deliberately violating the rules? I mean, if you think he did something admirable, that's one thing... he's free to make a statement if he wants.

But, if that statement violates the rules that he was well aware existed, he is liable to get punished and he should expect it instead of trying to play martyr.

What a snowflake that kid must be.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post

I'm not sure why this teacher was there. I know at mine security was the demonstration so maybe teachers were allowed to take part in the rally because they are at risk based on their livelihoods as much as the kids being there to learn.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
He was suspended for not listening to his teacher.

Those of you who are so against the suspension. What say you if the student in question refused to go to any of the following?
I never said they couldn't suspend him. I said they should be honest about it.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Then whoever instructed that teacher not to be there should be suspended without pay for the amount of time the student was suspended for. That classroom should have had a teacher in it. All of the classrooms should have had teachers in them.
Schools have assemblies all the time.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
He was suspended for not reporting to a supervised study hall during the walkout which was the alternative provided to those who did not want to protest. He refused. If we are to have control and safety in schools, it has to start with students following the rules.
Not sure why you think this counters anything I said. Yes, he was suspended for not walking out of the classroom when instructed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies