Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I think it's fair to say that getting the national debt and budget under control can no longer be an election promise. It looks like neither party is interested in doing so.
something that should've been clear by about 1990

Old 03-23-2018, 10:07 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,454,198 times
Trump needs to veto this monstrosity.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Then he owns the optics of the shutdown.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Bill passed the Senate, 65-32. ( Are votes disclosed?)

Trump is tweeting this morning he may veto it because it did not address DACA and does not fully fund the wall. Not a peep about the crap within the bill.
He doesn't give a dam about DACA, he had a bill on his desk that took care of DACA. It is all about his stupid wall. I hope he votes it and then Congress overrides him.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,005,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
He only wants to veto the monstrosity so he can add to it, not because he wants to thin it out.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:38 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,739,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Taxation is by definition theft, as it is not voluntary. It is taken by force, at the barrel of a gun, without consent, and we have no choice in the matter. Whether we want the services the government provides or not, we must pay for them regardless, and most of us would happily do without many, if not most, of the “services” provided by the government.

For example, I would happily opt of maintaining a worldwide military empire, while bombing a dozen different countries and murdering millions. I would also opt out funding the NSA’s voyeurism on our private communications.

In practice, taxation is a mafia protection racket.
Of course we have a choice. Elect officials who will abolish all forms of taxation. Not so hard is it? Why hasn't that been done yet? Answer: because we the people do not want to live in a nation with no government or services.

I get what you're saying though. I don't like all the services we have either. My solution, again, would be to elect a representative who shares my views and eliminates the service. I have voted for such a representative but, apparently, many others want the service that I don't want. The trade off is that they are paying for services that I support that they do not. That's how a civilized society with people who have vastly different wants and needs survives.

Name a successful country that does not tax its citizenry.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:56 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,127,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Of course we have a choice. Elect officials who will abolish all forms of taxation. Not so hard is it? Why hasn't that been done yet? Answer: because we the people do not want to live in a nation with no government or services.

I get what you're saying though. I don't like all the services we have either. My solution, again, would be to elect a representative who shares my views and eliminates the service. I have voted for such a representative but, apparently, many others want the service that I don't want. The trade off is that they are paying for services that I support that they do not. That's how a civilized society with people who have vastly different wants and needs survives.

Name a successful country that does not tax its citizenry.
Ron Paul--who is from your neck of the woods--wanted to eliminate taxes.

All services--ALL SERVICES--can be provided by the private sector better, cheaper, and more efficiently than government. Such services would be 100% voluntary and would be provided by competing businesses.

Free people cannot be forced to pay for others without their consent. Force and violence are the antithesis of a civilized society.

Andorra, Bahamas, Bermuda, BVI, Cayman Islands, Monaco, Turks and Caicos, UAE, Vanuatu. No income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies