Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:01 PM

62,966 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Spare me such nonsense.

The "wall" does nothing to "secure the border" when most just fly or drive in on a tourist or student visa and then stay. Drones and cameras are a far better method because they are active technologies, not passive barriers.

Utter BS! Most illegal aliens are border jumpers but even if that weren't true they are still many coming through our southern border. Should we just ignore that and only focus on visa over stayers? Why would you do that? We need to end both of these problems but both require a different manner in which to do it. We need a physical barrier along with other methods to secure our border from border jumpers. We are only talking about the 700 miles along the most porous areas of our border already approved by congress back in 2006. WTH is wrong with you people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 05:48 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Every president going back to at least Bill Clinton proposed some form of a wall. When Obama talked about nobody said a word. Now that Donald Trump wants to actually DO something, the liberals have their nuts in an uproar.

I'm not not fond of this outrageous spending bill either but do accept that sometimes you have to give something to get something. The problem, to me, is that the Republicans gave away too much and didn't get enough in return.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:54 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Utter BS! Most illegal aliens are border jumpers but even if that weren't true they are still many coming through our southern border. Should we just ignore that and only focus on visa over stayers? Why would you do that? We need to end both of these problems but both require a different manner in which to do it. We need a physical barrier along with other methods to secure our border from border jumpers. We are only talking about the 700 miles along the most porous areas of our border already approved by congress back in 2006. WTH is wrong with you people?
Why not focus on just about every business in the nation that knowingly and deliberately hires illegals so they can pay them less and treat them like crap. The literature is full of such examples, including mammoth Tyson Foods who specifically hire them to keep wages low, break unions, provide no benefits and fire at will with no recourse. Virtually very landscaper and roofer in the nation hires them, that's all I've ever seen on jobs at my house when I hired such firms. Put these businessmen in jail, fine them a ton, and watch the problem shrink.

Raise the pitiful minimum wage to a living wage, add Medicare For All to those who do work, and many Americans will get off their butts and go to work. Until then immigrants (legal or not) will make the hotel beds, scrub toilets, work in restaurant kitchens and do the other jobs that pay LESS than TANF/SNAP does.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:35 PM

62,966 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Why not focus on just about every business in the nation that knowingly and deliberately hires illegals so they can pay them less and treat them like crap. The literature is full of such examples, including mammoth Tyson Foods who specifically hire them to keep wages low, break unions, provide no benefits and fire at will with no recourse. Virtually very landscaper and roofer in the nation hires them, that's all I've ever seen on jobs at my house when I hired such firms. Put these businessmen in jail, fine them a ton, and watch the problem shrink.

Raise the pitiful minimum wage to a living wage, add Medicare For All to those who do work, and many Americans will get off their butts and go to work. Until then immigrants (legal or not) will make the hotel beds, scrub toilets, work in restaurant kitchens and do the other jobs that pay LESS than TANF/SNAP does.

I'm all for holding the employers accountable also but should we just ignore those here illegally then? They both should be held accountable as they are both breaking the law. The employers need to be fined and jailed and their illegal hires deported or do you have a problem with that?

I'm all for raising the minimum wage also and I'm a conservative. However, with millions of cheap illegals available the greedy employers will hire them over Americans as usual. Get rid of illegals and they will be forced to hire Americans again. Let's not bring up lazy Americans as most Americans aren't lazy and they worked for a fair wage until millions of cheap illegals flooded our border. They did all of the jobs you mentioned.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
How is the wall a pointless waste of money? I've provided a couple of links over and over proving that the good walls do work.
Because they will simply fly in, or take a boat, scale it, etc. Walls simply redirect the movement. The money could be better spent on things like e-verify, hiring more border agents, and buying drones for example.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:49 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
I'm pretty sure Schumer did NOT get a tunnel and Trump got over a billion for a section of wall. I don't feel like watching Mulvaney explain it again but suggest you watch it because the media got it wrong as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6IwtzX1eU&t=25s

Old 03-22-2018, 07:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
$30 billion is just a starting point fake number. It will eventually be $60 or $90 billion. Remember the Boston 'big dig' and now the CA high speed train?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:14 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
you guys can relax.

Mexico is paying for the wall, remember?

We need the tunnel.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:17 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Amazing that anyone would think that this Gateway project is more important than the security of our nation's border.
Agreed. Why would anyone want to improve a vital, but dilapidated artery to our nation's financial center when we can flush money down the toilet on a construction project that will never work effectively? Right?!

Old 03-22-2018, 07:22 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
The "wall" does nothing to "secure the border" when most just fly or drive in on a tourist or student visa and then stay. Drones and cameras are a far better method because they are active technologies, not passive barriers.
Those are being addressed in the overall package later. The US is or will be using drones on the Canadian border I believe.

I think people who come here on visas should be microchipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies