Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 03:05 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think the background checks and measures we have are not enough.
Like I said... Opioids, even legal prescriptions, are very strictly controlled. How's that working out? Solve the drug abuse/addiction/overdose deaths problem, yet? Or is it only getting worse even with all those strict controls?

Take a wild guess why the super-strict controls are doing not a damned thing to address the problem, which continues to escalate...

CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS.

It's already illegal to commit murder. That's strictly controlled. So why did Cruz, Paddock, Cho Seung-Hui (VA Tech) kill all those people even with very strict murder control laws in place?

CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Because they're demeaning young men by referring to them as "beta males." That is low. Why attack kids just because they have opinions?

Why not just say you disagree and keep right on moving?

That is what I do not understand. This topic was about David Hogg and the Parkland kids. It was not about any other kids. I did not read the whole thread. If someone is calling other teens names in this thread, I do not support that, either.

Why look for some angle I do not have?

I simply disagree with adults attacking teenagers. These kids have received death threats. That's just crazy.
They're demanding their opinions be heard just like adults. They're threatening consequences as adults, they're demanding to be treated as adults so their getting their wishes.

You can't demand to be and talk like an adult and then try to hide behind your childish age when the water gets rough...

Old 03-26-2018, 03:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Cruz was 19 when he committed the attacks at Parkland so it stands to reason he was legally an adult for many of his offenses. Law enforcement on so many levels failed. FBI agents should have followed up on his online threats to shoot up a school.
I agree but it is hard to flag someone without a record in the current system. That is the issue.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:12 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But, but, but... There are LAWS and CONTROLS against convicted felons buying/possessing guns. Why don't strict gun control laws work?

CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS, CONTROLS, OR REGULATIONS.

I made the same observation about the drug abuse/addiction/overdose deaths in the U.S. Opioids, even legal prescriptions, are very strictly controlled. How's that working out? Solve the drug abuse/addiction/overdose deaths problem, yet? Or is it only getting worse?
Strict gun control does work. If what you say is true then every gangbanger in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Australia and Holland would be armed. Except they aren't. Because guns are really hard to get a hold of and when they available they are very expensive. So its not practical to use a gun so they don't. Hence very very low homicide rates.

In the US states with tight gun control broadly have a lower homicide rate. These are facts. Why do you think stop and frisk worked so well in NYC? it took thousands upon thousands of guns off the street. NYC homicide rates has been plummeting ever since. The only areas with strict gun control and a high murder are cities situated next to states with very lenient gun control. Chicago and DC.

Drugs is a repeat business, guns are not. So comparing the two is unrealistic of its condition on society. In countries with tight gun control they aren't having many murders but people are still doing drugs so that answers your question.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I agree but it is hard to flag someone without a record in the current system. That is the issue.
Yep, and that's EXACTLY why Broward's "Promise Program" and the other programs like it in 50+ school districts throughout the country SHOULDN'T be diverting student criminals from the Justice System to only school disciplinary measures.

They KNEW they had created a problem, made their schools LESS safe, and did NOTHING about it. Just took a wait and see attitude... Well... We ALL saw.

Very prescient words, from 2015:

Quote:
"Maria Schneider, head of the juvenile unit in the Broward State Attorney's Office, said the program was "a work in progress."

"We've accomplished reducing the arrests. Now it's 'how do we keep that up without making the schools a more dangerous place,'" she said."
Broward sees success in new student intervention program despite rise in suspensions - Sun Sentinel

Student suspensions rise and schools get more dangerous when such a program is implemented. Guess why... Student criminals know they won't get arrested, won't go to jail, won't have a criminal record for any criminal acts anymore. All they'll get is suspended from school. BFD. What student delinquent doesn't want to not have to go to school in the first place? Sheer stupidity! From the government and adults who are supposed to be in charge.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:20 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And those gangbangers aren't buying those firearms legally, regardless of where they go. Unless they have a clean record or they find a crooked FFL. Either way, multiple felonies are committed. So , more laws then ?
If there are no guns floating around where are criminals gonna get them from? Why are their so few gangland shootings in France for example?

Old 03-26-2018, 03:20 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Of course I do. I'm still not sure why you compared the two.

But, I happen to think lax gun laws are part of the problem in both of those instances.

I didn't see anyone asking what faith, if any, the Parkland shooter was raised up in and if that was why he killed anyone, so why should a random, Muslim guy shooting people at Pulse automatically bring up anti-Muslim rhetoric?

The NRA was involved in both of them because they lobby Congress and pay so much money to politicians to push their agenda.

I relied on your reasoning based on past posts.

my mistake.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Strict gun control does work.
No, it doesn't, just like strict murder control laws don't work, strict rape control laws don't work, strict Opioid drugs control laws don't work, ad infinitum.

Why don't they work? Criminals don't obey laws.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:24 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it doesn't, just like strict murder control laws don't work, strict rape control laws don't work, strict Opiod drugs control laws don't work, ad infinitum.

Why don't they work? Criminals don't obey laws.
Gun control seems to work in the UK, Japan and many other first world nations. Why not the USA?

Old 03-26-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
If there are no guns floating around where are criminals gonna get them from?
Straight up through our porous Southern border. In fact, isn't that what Obama's/Holder's gun-running fiasco, Fast and Furious, was all about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies