Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 01:22 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The reason Cruz was never put away by the police is because he hadn't actually committed any crime prior to the shooting.
So... it's legal to sell weapons (knives, in Cruz's case) out of one's backpack to other students in a school? He was suspended for that. No arrest or criminal record.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:24 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is something I can agree with. Gun control is needed, I also agree.

Like I said earlier, as of right now, I just don't know what this "gun control" is all about. Is it all about taking ar15 from everybody? Is it about making it DIFFICULT for some people to obtain AR-15? What is it all about?

Let me know what this whole gun control is all about, then we can have another civilized discussion.
If it was up to me I would allow AR-15 ownership but it would require a long and comprehensive serious of checks and interviews that would take several months to complete. To acquire a bolt action hunting rifle would be a much simpler and less painful process.

There are dozens of countries whose gun law system we can easy emulate. From Norway to Australia. This problem has been figured out and addressed by all other first world nations on earth except America.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
We don't need to ban all guns. What we need is a comprehensive gun control based on a tier system were the more dangerous a particular firearm is, the harder the requirements are to obtain it. Universal background checks, long waiting times, psychological evaluations, etc, etc.

Nobody saw the Las Vegas shooting coming. So yes, we don't really know who all the crazy people are. Even if we did, most crazy people don't actually do anything so we can't assume they are going to all be dangerous. We can't start putting people away who haven't committed any actual crimes. So the human problem is one we cannot fix. The gun problem is one we can.

This isn't a bad suggestion at all. The only thing is , how does one determine what firearm is more dangerous than another ? Going by ballistics, a bolt action 7mm mag rifle would be far more dangerous than an AR.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:27 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
If it was up to me I would allow AR-15 ownership but it would require a long and comprehensive serious of checks and interviews that would take several months to complete.
That is fine by me. I also support universal background check. I think all gun owners should get a clean bill of mental health first from a licensed Clinical Psychologist. If it was up to me.

This said I would not single out AR-15 ownership. To me, once they passed the test (whatever test that might be), it shouldn't matter at that point what kind of guns he/she wants to obtain. It is obvious Cruz shouldn't even be owning a knife.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:28 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
ARs and AKs are sporting rifles...yeah if your "sport " is hunting humans.
Stop with the hyperbole, the adults are having a conversation...

Old 03-26-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... it's legal to sell weapons (knives, in Cruz's case) out of one's backpack to other students in a school? He was suspended for that. No arrest or criminal record.
Because selling knives isn't a crime. Its against the school rules hence the suspension but its not justification for incarceration.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This isn't a bad suggestion at all. The only thing is , how does one determine what firearm is more dangerous than another ? Going by ballistics, a bolt action 7mm mag rifle would be far more dangerous than an AR.
We can create a system that measures ballistics, rate of fire, mag capacity, in order to see what is the most dangerous. In my opinion the key measurement is rate of fire and mag size. Weapons that can easily put lots of bullets downrange are going to be the most lethal to a large number of people. The Parkland shooter armed with a hunting rifle would not have been able to kill 15 plus people. The bullets for a hunting rifle are more lethal but the volume of fire is much much lower. Hence they pose less of a threat then an AR-15 would.

Again this is just my take

Old 03-26-2018, 01:39 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Because selling knives isn't a crime. Its against the school rules hence the suspension but its not justification for incarceration.
Actually, just even having one at all on school property is a 3rd degree felony in Florida. So why no arrest and criminal record for Cruz? That would have prevented him from passing a background check to buy a gun.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 03-26-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, just even having one at all on school property is a 3rd degree felony in Florida. So why no arrest and criminal record for Cruz? That would have prevented him from passing a background check to buy a gun.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
From the link you provided:

A person who exhibits any sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade, box cutter, or common pocketknife, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in the presence of one or more persons in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner

Unless he was threatening other students with the knife, then it would be very hard to hit him with a felony charge. Probably why they didn't.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:50 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,882 times
Fascinating thread. A bunch of right wingers bending over backwards to give a sloppy one to the NRA at the expense of a bunch of high schoolers who survived a school shooting.

You guys may win this particular argument, but you've lost the war. You're losing an entire generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies