Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 AM

18,742 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Govt becomes tyrannical!"

I DON'T believe our government is tyrannical or ever will be.
Many people whose government is not tyrannical, believe that it will never become so.

Yet throughout the ages, many governments have become tyrannical.

Could it be those people were wrong?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I only want half the guns banned

Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Don't forget to add that I'll be adding some more "banned" firearms to my collection, just like the last time

Old 03-27-2018, 09:08 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Who decides which half? You, the government, the Progressives? California, and several other states have banned many of them already, including the AR-15. This is violation of Federal Law, and needs to be overturned by the courts. The states agreed to the Constitution, as written, when they became states.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Democrats don't believe in personal responsibility of any kind.

For example, look at the following chart, very telling...

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-con...Poor_party.png
It's a stupid charte, and a flawed question. It makes people choose either/or, when in fact everyone with half a brain knows that both things contribute, and in fact there are also many other factors that contribute.

So if forced to choose one or the other, maybe Reps choose effort and dems choose circumstance, but it does not capture the fact that most reasonable, moderate people realize both are a factor, and that if we ever regained control of the national discussion (from extremists on both sides, currently), that we might, possibly be able to have a meaningful discussion that allows for compromise and balance. Where effort and circumstances are both addressed in some meaningful way.

Talking points and "scores" aside, it's a complex problem, and the two identified issues are at odds with one another. In today's partisan environment, it is not likely that a middleground will be found. Bull-shoot posts and charts like this only help to amplify the problem.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It's a stupid charte, and a flawed question.
No, it's actually corroborated by the two different political parties' voters prevalence (or not) to be enrolled in means-tested public assistance programs.

The group who which is most enrolled has the perpetual victim mentality of "it's everyone else's fault I'm poor."

Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican? Or Democrat?

By: Tino Sanandaji
  • PhD in Public Policy, University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy Studies
  • MA in Economics, University of Chicago Department of Economics
  • MSc in Economics and Business Administration Stockholm School of Economics
In addition, 48% of all US births each year are paid for by Medicaid (the welfare free health care program for the poor). 70% of those born into poverty never rise above poverty level, even as adults, even at any point in their lives.

I'll post other links, too, if anyone wishes.

Eventually... The left/Dems are going to run out of other people's money. Then what?

Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
and how is the 80 year old drug ban working for you??

Old 03-27-2018, 12:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Govt becomes tyrannical!"

I DON'T believe our government is tyrannical or ever will be.
This is the same system of government that enforced slavery and denied voting to many people...even under the constitution.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
My views in the past have been that guns are OK, but we need tighter restrictions on the sort of guns that can fire a lot of rounds in a small amount of time.

However, according to the Republicans, we can't restrict guns in small ways, that's against the constitution, or the founding principles, or whatever; or that guns are sooo complex and incapable of being classified at all; or any number of intransigent views about why we cannot have any restrictions.

So my argument has evolved. Now I think that yes, we should ban all guns. And I think that because I've learned that the Republicans will not compromise on anything.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:17 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Many people whose government is not tyrannical, believe that it will never become so.

Yet throughout the ages, many governments have become tyrannical.

Could it be those people were wrong?
Well exactly.

Many in just the countries of the Axis powers prior to WWII thought they were safe from upheaval only to learn the hard way they were naive.
That is especially true of the demonized parts of those societies who fell victim to the very government they lived under.

The poster you were responding to is either ignorant of history or blissfully naive. The irony of course is that their naivety is likely rooted in having our Founding Fathers create a constitutional republic, which prohibits our God given unalienable rights to be taken away. This is of course outlined in the very Constitution that people like them would try to alter or eviscerate.
Thus the unintended consequences of their desire would undermine the very comfort they currently enjoy.

The trick for our side of course is to educate them on this, in such a way where the light bulb goes off.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies