Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 02:14 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,100,859 times

Advertisements

South Park is hit or miss--the majority of it is pretty sophomoric, but some of their political commentary is brilliant.

For instance, the show following the election in 2008, which had all the Republicans retreating to their underground bunkers because they were sure the world was going to end with the election of President Obama, and all the Obama supporters partying all night because they were sure the world was going to change with the election of President Obama. And both groups groggily view the world the morning after and are astonished that everything is the same. That was a brilliant episode that hit the nail on the head.

And they do go after both sides as they see fit. As a Democrat and sporadic viewer, I've never had a problem with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 02:46 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,603,865 times
I'm not sure why this is supposed to be shocking. "South Park" has always had a strong Libertarian vibe. They may be Republicans, but I would hardly call them traditional right-wingers, either. Essentially, I think they're a couple of guys who love to make burgers out of ALL sacred cows. There's pretty much no faction they have never skewered.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:47 PM

14,015 posts, read 5,658,173 times
Besides Comedy Central's p_u_ssy move to censor Parker and Stone's diss on Mohammed and Islam, there isn't anything under the Sun they haven't attacked mercilessly and hilariously.

Those two, like Dave Chappelle, know how to sit in the middle of all the back and forth hysteria and find the funny in all of it, and present it in a way that everyone can laugh about it. They also now have production down to 4-5 days per episode, so they can be soooooooo much more timely and topical with their scripts. There's a reason they are rolling up on year 22 of getting paid for the same show.

Best Parker/Stone moment - dropping acid and wearing dresses to the Oscars in a big "FU" diss to the whole Hollywood culture taking itself too seriously.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:17 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,949,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
REPUBLICANS!

After receiving a ‘Freedom Award’ from Norman Lear’s left-wing organization People for the American Way Foundation, the pair apparently revealed their true political persuasion.

‘South Park’ Creators Stun Hollywood Crowd: ‘We’re Republicans’
Doesn't surprise me it seems like alot of the messages in the episodes were very right wing in nature.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Doesn't surprise me it seems like alot of the messages in the episodes were very right wing in nature.
And left wing.

Let's admit it -- they trashed everyone.......

Old 03-29-2018, 03:32 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,949,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And left wing.

Let's admit it -- they trashed everyone.......
Well arguably if you want to get technical lots of episodes had a very libertarian bent. Still quite entertaining but I don't agree with the views.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:37 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Well arguably if you want to get technical lots of episodes had a very libertarian bent. Still quite entertaining but I don't agree with the views.
Well apparently some seem to think it was a surprise they weren't Democrats so obviously some think the shows had a liberal 'bent'.

It wasn't my thing...they were clever and had many layers to their mocking, satirizing, calling out, making fun of, etc......

but who cares what they voted.

Obviously they felt the need to say something.

Celebrity obsession once again

Old 03-29-2018, 03:51 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,953,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
REPUBLICANS!

After receiving a ‘Freedom Award’ from Norman Lear’s left-wing organization People for the American Way Foundation, the pair apparently revealed their true political persuasion.

‘South Park’ Creators Stun Hollywood Crowd: ‘We’re Republicans’
Breitbart yet again. I refuse to give them the traffic by clicking on your link. Plus, I couldn't care less if the creators of South Park are republicans or flat earthers. And if I really wanted to know, I'd check out sources that are not known for telling the most astonishing lies ever.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,261,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Well apparently some seem to think it was a surprise they weren't Democrats so obviously some think the shows had a liberal 'bent'.

It wasn't my thing...they were clever and had many layers to their mocking, satirizing, calling out, making fun of, etc......

but who cares what they voted.

Obviously they felt the need to say something.

Celebrity obsession once again

Nope, just the RWNJ blogosphere, wrong as always, thinking there was some gotcha that they could use against the left, while only embarrassing themselves and their unthinking readers in the process.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,558,947 times
Most Republicans who are surrounded by wealthy, educated and successful people don't like to admit they are Republican for a reason: It's embarrassing. However, in the heartland where I live, there are a lot of poor, uneducated, and unsuccessful people who are proud Trump supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies