Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 PM

50,652 posts, read 47,498,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And I share your concerns. Privacy is seriously endangered in our society. And people don't seem to realize that privacy is integral to freedom. At the same time, while many of you feel that this woman's actions were an overreaction, the condemnation of her seems to me to be an overreaction. And it is condemnation of her. People calling her stupid and paranoid and many other things. She didn't violate anyone's rights. The man wasn't arrested. Her apprehensions were put to rest by the police checking to make sure everything was okay.
They are all lucky it wasn't a trigger happy cop showing up like that kid with the airsoft gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 01:16 PM

29,887 posts, read 14,932,452 times
Quote:
You are asserting she called because of a stereotype. I am asserting that she called because a man wore a T-shirt at a playground that said "I CONTROL MY GUNS YOU CONTROL YOUR KIDS", AND the man carried a gun. She found it threatening, she called the police to ascertain if there was a threat. I don't think her actions were ignorant or irrational.

So can you explain what exactly the "threat" is ?

Is the threat that if she didn't control her ankle biters he would shoot her ? Shoot them ? With the firearm he legally was carrying.

The statement on his shirt said nothing like that. In fact he said he would control his gun, while suggesting she control her rug rats.

She is the one that irrationally twisted this around to being a threat , she saw the sidearm and was , herself threatened by it, along with the shirt.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Remember the thread with the black teen, the man who shot at the kid thought he was a threat? Now that a white man posed a threat to someone even though he wasn’t doing anything illegal (much like he black kid), all of a sudden now it’s problem.

Amazing how skin color turns people’s brains into mush.
Remember that the black teen was shot?

And in this case, the white man was simply questioned by police for a few minutes. Amazing how you try to establish parity between the two cases. Talk about turning people's brains into mush.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:18 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,939,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Remember the thread with the black teen, the man who shot at the kid thought he was a threat? Now that a white man posed a threat to someone even though he wasn’t doing anything illegal (much like he black kid), all of a sudden now it’s problem.

Amazing how skin color turns people’s brains into mush.
Agreed

Some people think that an unarmed black teenager and an armed white adult are equal threats.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So can you explain what exactly the "threat" is ?

Is the threat that if she didn't control her ankle biters he would shoot her ? Shoot them ? With the firearm he legally was carrying.

The statement on his shirt said nothing like that. In fact he said he would control his gun, while suggesting she control her rug rats.

She is the one that irrationally twisted this around to being a threat , she saw the sidearm and was , herself threatened by it, along with the shirt.
If someone shows up at a dog park with a T-shirt that says, "I CONTROL MY GUNS YOU CONTROL YOUR DOGS" AND is carrying a gun, I think some dog-owners would see that as a threat. You don't, and that's great. This woman thought that there might be a threat, and she called the police to make that determination.l

Old 04-17-2018, 01:20 PM

50,652 posts, read 47,498,502 times
Quote:

And in this case, the white man was simply questioned by police for a few minutes. Amazing how you try to establish parity between the two cases. Talk about turning people's brains into mush.
In one case the gun holder was actually pointing it at people.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,203,147 times
Quote:

Yes I do, I think we’re saying the same thing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Agreed

Some people think that an unarmed black teenager and an armed white adult are equal threats.
Exactly.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 553,190 times
Quote:
Agreed

The only one who thought the black teen was a threat was the black woman who answered the door. She was the one that instigated the husband by getting hysterical. So you are saying that a black woman was racist against the black male teenager?

It was not the police that shot at the unarmed black teenager. It was the woman's husband. That white husband is now facing charges.

The reason the two black men in Starbucks were asked to leave is still yet unknown. We haven't heard the employee's side. I think they were perfectly right to enact civil disobedience if they thought their rights were being infringed. However, that is why they were arrested. It was a choice to not leave when asked by the manager then the police. That is why they were arrested. They chose to stay and be arrested. I think it's admirable.

The white armed adult was doing something perfectly legal. He wasn't brandishing or threatening anyone. Open carry is legal in Texas. It is here too and I see people armed in fast food restaurants. They stand in line, get their food, and go about their business; it's not uncommon to see Molon Labe shirts here. Do I think they are some militaristic gun nuts? No.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:30 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,939,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
So you are saying that a black woman was racist against the black male teenager?
I don't know, am I saying that?

If I were, what would be the ramifications?

Old 04-17-2018, 02:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 553,190 times
Quote:
I don't know, am I saying that?

If I were, what would be the ramifications?
Please elaborate on why you think race turned this woman's brain into mush...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies