Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 02:13 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,536,135 times

Advertisements

I actually read the article and I would be alarmed by this man. And that was exactly his intention. "Johnston said he was openly carrying his handgun in a holster on his hip, and was also sporting a Warrior 12 shirt emblazoned with the words, “I’LL CONTROL MY GUNS, YOU CONTROL YOUR KIDS” across the back." Geezus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:02 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,137,515 times
The guy was just baiting.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 AM

59,418 posts, read 27,577,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's not unreasonable for there to be people who do not like guns and have adverse triggers from seeing them paraded around. Those people also deserve to be able to go to the park. Leave the gun home when you take the kiddies to play. If you must, wear your shirt, but as those who have been harmed by them have rights, better to just leave the guns out of the trip to the park. Parents of kids who don't live with guns do not have to have their enjoyment of public property ruined by someone with a hot button issue.

And consider that maybe someone who called police, as the guy in the tshirt had a gun showing had a very real reason to do so, maybe from some bad experience with guns or people who show them off. It's public land. Make it a safe place for everyone and leave guns in a nicely locked safe. Its fully realistic that to someone with negative encounters with them, someone flashing the tshirt AND armed IS displaying suspicious activity.

If a woman has her kids at the park and some male person insists on harassing her by being close, and not leaving when she says so, it would be called suspicious activity and if the cops were called he'd be made to leave. A park is public property and people's space should not be violated, nor should guns be flashed. Better to keep them OUT of parks, but if the gun holder just kept it unseen, and didn't wear his shirt then everyone gets to use the place.
"Leave the gun home"

" people who do not like guns"

You contradict yourself.

People are FREE to exercise their 2nd amendment rights and YOU want them to cower to someone who does NOT accept their right.

Parents of kids who are OK with guns do not have to have their enjoyment of public property ruined by someone with a hot button issue.

You CAN'T have it both ways.

If YOU are afraid of even seeing a gun YOU and that idiot, should stay HOME.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So you are advocating profiling?
LOL seriously I get your point and it's valid. Unfortunately many consider that profiling.
For example if I look out my window and see a group of teens I dont know, walking up and down my street. Say the teens are black for example. How many on the left would call me a racist for calling the police?

What if I saw a couple of hispanics doing a roof and I called ICE? Yeah I would be called a racist.
The fact of the matter is that it is far more likely that the teens in scenario 1 are thugs and that the hispanics are here illegally, than it is that a guy doing an open carry is dangerous.
People are being programed to panic.
I dont carry anywhere except at the gun range and that range is on my own property. I have many friends who do carry. America is turning into a nation of criers.
No, not an advocate of profiling.

And no, interpreting a t-shirt as possibly threatening, combined with a visible weapon, and asking the police to evaluate whether a threat is present or not is not profiling.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When my son was a kid, someone with a gun showing would be a reason to leave. If it is a public place, then my right is to have it be safe for my child. I would not consider a gun, holstered or not and a blatent message on the shirt would present a potential danger, and would be denying my right to let my kid play in an area set aside for CHILDREN.

Change your shirt and lock up the gun and when you leave the park, I don't care, but the armed person does not get to ruin everyone else's day.

And children should not be playing where guns are about.

And its not anxiety, its being properly protective with your children. In a private place maybe all you do is leave but this is a public park and it belongs to everyone, kid and worried mom too. Maybe the guy in the shirt needs the anti anxiety pills if they need to flash deadly weapons in a space made for kids to play.
"but the armed person does not get to ruin everyone else's day."

The scaredy cats do not get to ruin everyone else's day.

They pay their taxes which built and maintains the park just as theirs and yours do.

He has EVERY RIGHT to use it.

HIS RIGHTS to not get to be "infringed" upon because some whacko is afraid of the sight of a gun.

" be denying my right to let my kid play in an area set aside for CHILDREN."

If it is set aside FOR CHILDREN, what are the parents doing there?

"Maybe the guy in the shirt needs the anti anxiety pills if they need to flash deadly weapons in a space made for kids to play."

Maybe that is EXACTLY what this person and people like YOU need.

There is NO reason to go bonkers just at the sight of a gun.

Take a pill and chill out!

What is YOUR position if an off duty cop takes HIS kids to the park where they ae REQUIRED to "carry" ALL THE TIME and is NOT in uniform.

Should he and is kids NOT be allowed to use the park?

And I thought the left was against "profiling"?

I guess it is OK ONLY when it involves guns!

Old 04-19-2018, 07:29 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,853,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
We all know it wasn't the t shirt. It was the firearm. I'm sure she would have called even if he had a "Coexist" T shirt on.
I think it was the location......the park, the children's swing area.....the t-shirt and the gun loaded and on the dudes waist. The situation ended peacefully and I give thanks for rational police work.

The woman was not hysterical, she is a hero. Off leash Pit bulls don't belong in city park areas, near children, either. This guy was either showing off, or wanted some kind of confrontation. JMO

Old 04-19-2018, 07:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,594,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Woman Calls Police Over Man Wearing Pro-Gun T-Shirt At Park

This woman needs some anti-anxiety medicines, desperately.

The gentleman was doing absolutely nothing wrong, and the woman called the police because she was offended by a) his t-shirt and b) the fact that he was legally carrying a firearm. Perhaps she should stay in her safe space and let the rest of the public do their thing.

Right, she had absolutely no reason to believe that the T-shirt suggested an unhinged state of mind in the wearer - i.e. if your kids are out of control I'll shoot them. No reason whatsoever.

Guy's an idiot - and he'll continue to elicit hassle if he wears such a stupid T-shirt wearing a gun, lawful or not.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:33 AM

34,299 posts, read 18,684,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Right, she had absolutely no reason to believe that the T-shirt suggested an unhinged state of mind in the wearer - i.e. if your kids are out of control I'll shoot them. No reason whatsoever.
How does "I'll CONTROL my guns" translate into If your kids are out of control I'll shoot them? You are just being dishonest now.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
I think it was the location......the park, the children's swing area.....the t-shirt and the gun loaded and on the dudes waist. The situation ended peacefully and I give thanks for rational police work.

The woman was not hysterical, she is a hero. Off leash Pit bulls don't belong in city park areas, near children, either. This guy was either showing off, or wanted some kind of confrontation. JMO
What is, In YOUR Opinion on the kids shootings in PARKS just like this one where the bad guy is the ONLY one armed?

I posed a BIG list of park shootings.

Did you read it?

Appently, you did NOT.

You THINK all is honky dory just because it a park.

BAD guys go to where they think is the SAFEST FOR THEM.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How does "I'll CONTROL my guns" translate into If your kids are out of control I'll shoot them? You are just being dishonest now.
Because the t-shirt didn't just say "I'll CONTROL my guns". When you leave out key information, your argument is rendered moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies