Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 08:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times

Advertisements

Not disputing some informed posts but there are programs for lieer incom renterd that are modeled on taking income/assets into consideration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:25 AM

16,636 posts, read 8,636,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If people like you had their way, all housing would be for the 1% and apartments would be like $100k/month to rent a studio apartment, or a 1,000sq ft house would cost $20million. And the 99% of us leftover would all have to live in tents

And that's serious, not sarcasm

I never understand why people like you, even those who have never owned a business or invested in the market, look at people who have not settled for a 9-5 type of career/life, with disdain. You assume they are all greedy and will take advantage of their employees, tenants, etc.

However what is even more disturbing, and wholly inaccurate, is your absurd analogy within free markets. Sure anyone can list a widget on Ebay for 1 billion dollars, but it will never sell, because it is only worth what an individual is willing to pay. Thus the market in most free capitalistic societies charges what the market will bare.

As it relates to this subject, some cities are better than others regarding "low income housing" or section 8 where taxpayers foot most or all of the bill (you know, us greedy 1%).
But it is predicated on most of society accepting they must produce something (i.e. work, products, etc.) for a large period of their lives, and also have planned for retirement to be able to sustain their lifestyles in their golden years.
Now I know that is a lot to ask of people who would rather just live day by day, and not be encumbered with work, personal responsibility, and the like.
But in this country, unless you are physically disabled you are expected to produce, not be a leach on the backs of others.

Lastly, you use a tent for an example, and though an absurd notion, I am glad you did. In a government controlled society they could mandate you live in a tent or housing project based on your status within society, whether that be race, religion, bloodlines, etc.
[Funny how leftists always envision a Utopian, fair, and benevolent government controlling everything for the best interest of every citizens. But did you ever think why the leaders of such communist countries not live exactly like the people they control?
Needless to say human history has proved this to be a false Utopea, time and time again]

But I digress.
So back to tent cities where the evil 1% would like the 99% to live, and be thankful for it.

Here is a newsflash,,,,if you are living in a tent city in a free capitalistic society like ours, you work hard to get the heck out.
I like many people started out with very little money coming from a lower middle income family. When I was 17, I was sent out on my own and expected to survive. All I could afford with my job was renting a room inside a house with others in the same boat. That meant little privacy, sharing common areas, including bathrooms, etc.
I didn't like it, but neither did I feel entitled to anything more unless I earned it.

Guess what?

I decided to improve my station in life, and worked harder to be able to afford more. Over time I got better jobs, went back to school on my own dime (while working 2 jobs), etc., etc.
Now I am upper middle class (not even close to the 1%), and rest assured I do not envy them. If I want to be part of the 1%, I will need to work even more, or come up with other revenue streams and invest wisely.
But as I continue on my journey, I also take time to volunteer, give to charity, provide jobs to people, and other things that benefit society.
I in turn expect others to do what their goals/ambitions are, provided it is not to live off the sweat and work of others. That does not make me evil or heartless, it makes me a productive member of our constitutional republic, fueled on capitalism, to become the greatest most powerful and wealthy society in human history.
Just imagine if everyone worked a little harder for themselves and their families to achieve their goals.

In closing, for those who do not want to buy into our free society, unlike communist countries, we do not demand you stay.
You are free to leave and seek a society that will take care of you from cradle to grave. You will of course be expected to conform to their rules/laws, and might not like what you find.
Just don't try to subvert our society from within. If you don't like it, feel free to leave and find a better one, as no one is forcing you to stay.

`

Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,793,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

I never understand why people like you, even those who have never owned a business or invested in the market, look at people who have not settled for a 9-5 type of career/life, with disdain. You assume they are all greedy and will take advantage of their employees, tenants, etc.

However what is even more disturbing, and wholly inaccurate, is your absurd analogy within free markets. Sure anyone can list a widget on Ebay for 1 billion dollars, but it will never sell, because it is only worth what an individual is willing to pay. Thus the market in most free capitalistic societies charges what the market will bare.

As it relates to this subject, some cities are better than others regarding "low income housing" or section 8 where taxpayers foot most or all of the bill (you know, us greedy 1%).
But it is predicated on most of society accepting they must produce something (i.e. work, products, etc.) for a large period of their lives, and also have planned for retirement to be able to sustain their lifestyles in their golden years.
Now I know that is a lot to ask of people who would rather just live day by day, and not be encumbered with work, personal responsibility, and the like.
But in this country, unless you are physically disabled you are expected to produce, not be a leach on the backs of others.

Lastly, you use a tent for an example, and though an absurd notion, I am glad you did. In a government controlled society they could mandate you live in a tent or housing project based on your status within society, whether that be race, religion, bloodlines, etc.
[Funny how leftists always envision a Utopian, fair, and benevolent government controlling everything for the best interest of every citizens. But did you ever think why the leaders of such communist countries not live exactly like the people they control?
Needless to say human history has proved this to be a false Utopea, time and time again]

But I digress.
So back to tent cities where the evil 1% would like the 99% to live, and be thankful for it.

Here is a newsflash,,,,if you are living in a tent city in a free capitalistic society like ours, you work hard to get the heck out.
I like many people started out with very little money coming from a lower middle income family. When I was 17, I was sent out on my own and expected to survive. All I could afford with my job was renting a room inside a house with others in the same boat. That meant little privacy, sharing common areas, including bathrooms, etc.
I didn't like it, but neither did I feel entitled to anything more unless I earned it.

Guess what?

I decided to improve my station in life, and worked harder to be able to afford more. Over time I got better jobs, went back to school on my own dime (while working 2 jobs), etc., etc.
Now I am upper middle class (not even close to the 1%), and rest assured I do not envy them. If I want to be part of the 1%, I will need to work even more, or come up with other revenue streams and invest wisely.
But as I continue on my journey, I also take time to volunteer, give to charity, provide jobs to people, and other things that benefit society.
I in turn expect others to do what their goals/ambitions are, provided it is not to live off the sweat and work of others. That does not make me evil or heartless, it makes me a productive member of our constitutional republic, fueled on capitalism, to become the greatest most powerful and wealthy society in human history.
Just imagine if everyone worked a little harder for themselves and their families to achieve their goals.

In closing, for those who do not want to buy into our free society, unlike communist countries, we do not demand you stay.
You are free to leave and seek a society that will take care of you from cradle to grave. You will of course be expected to conform to their rules/laws, and might not like what you find.
Just don't try to subvert our society from within. If you don't like it, feel free to leave and find a better one, as no one is forcing you to stay.

`

Winner of the Post of the Year Award.

Especially this:

Funny how leftists always envision a Utopian, fair, and benevolent government controlling everything for the best interest of every citizens. But did you ever think why the leaders of such communist countries not live exactly like the people they control?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,630,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

But I digress.

Guess what?

`
Oh please

I'm a taxpayer and I work, and have massively improved my station in life in just the last 5 years (at least from an income standpoint).

But at the same time, it seems that every time I make more money, rent and other expenses keep going up, so it's like I'm working harder just to stay at the same level rather than improve; while I'm sure those who aren't earning more are finding themselves downwardly mobile.

Heck good example, my first apartment rented for $700/month just 5 years ago (don't live there anymore), but the same apartment in the same complex now is $1,000/month. So if I had still been living there, I would have had to earn an extra $900/month just to still afford the lease

Finally, not all of us are business owners; and it shouldn't only be business owners who can attain lodging. Us workers need a place to live as well...

Old 04-30-2018, 09:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If I could not afford it I would move because I understand personal responsibility and living within my means. I do not rely on the government to subsidize my existence.
Where would you move?

Seriously.

Where?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,242,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Aww those poor greedy landlords my heart bleeds
No, the renter is a parasite.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,814,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Where would you move?

Seriously.

Where?
Someplace I could afford?

Last edited by redwood66; 04-30-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Is the government subsidizing her $100 a month rent? Not to mention you do not know her situation in how easy or hard it would be for her to move. And even that doesn't matter. The law matters.

Personal responsibility? Her responsibility is to pay her rent, the landlord's responsibility is to respect that.

In the 80's the news was filled with articles of how Donald Trump harassed the tenants living in the rent control apartments he purchased in order to get them ousted.

Seeing as how people today (they weren't then) seem to be okay with this kind of business dealings, just goes to show me how it is we have a mongrel for a president.

PS: It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a business man to get into Heaven.

It's in how a business man deals.
Exactly.

Is this the only property this landlord owns?

Surely they can make up the loss with their other units.

Whatever the case, this is the law in NYC and it's a good thing too, otherwise people who do business exactly like Trump would have forced even more people into the streets.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:34 AM

19,854 posts, read 12,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Oh please

I'm a taxpayer and I work, and have massively improved my station in life in just the last 5 years (at least from an income standpoint).

But at the same time, it seems that every time I make more money, rent and other expenses keep going up, so it's like I'm working harder just to stay at the same level rather than improve; while I'm sure those who aren't earning more are finding themselves downwardly mobile.

Heck good example, my first apartment rented for $700/month just 5 years ago (don't live there anymore), but the same apartment in the same complex now is $1,000/month. So if I had still been living there, I would have had to earn an extra $900/month just to still afford the lease

Finally, not all of us are business owners; and it shouldn't only be business owners who can attain lodging. Us workers need a place to live as well...
The rent goes up $300 and you claim you would need to earn an additional $900 to afford it? Please explain.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The rich benefit more from EVERYTHING that the government does and doesn't do way way way more then the poor.
Of course they do.

Who gets the best deals and rates for everything?

Those that already got, not those that actually need them.

In a truly democratic universe, those that could afford to pay more, would, and those that need help to make it from paycheck to paycheck would get it, but instead those in the most desperate straits have the "right" to be abused by pay day lenders in a never-ending cycle of 400% interest.

Any time someone like the tenant in the OP wins against this one-sided system, an angel of common decency gets wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies