Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 03:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL The only ones who don't know what the hell that pose is are adults who are freaking about it.

I didn't know what it was until I asked my son but of course I wasn't freaking about it either.
My daughter had no clue and she's the same age as that girl. She found the pose questionable, and she's half Chinese so I'm not about to tell her she shouldn't give it the side eye.

And... my daughter spends plenty of time on YouTube, so she is familiar with most of the YouTube celebrities, but she really had never come across this guy. Nor had some of her friends who are also Asian.

It's not an "adults vs kids" thing. Plenty of adults watch YouTube.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:33 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My daughter had no clue and she's the same age as that girl. She found the pose questionable, and she's half Chinese so I'm not about to tell her she shouldn't give it the side eye.

And... my daughter spends plenty of time on YouTube, so she is familiar with most of the YouTube celebrities, but she really had never come across this guy. Nor had some of her friends who are also Asian.

It's not an "adults vs kids" thing. Plenty of adults watch YouTube.
Meh.

The guy has 5.3 million subscribers.

Just because your daughter never heard of him doesn't mean much. I'm sure she's familiar with YT celebs I've never heard of.

Point is...none of this is offensive and people need to hakuna their tatas over this kind of thing.

And yes, I'm telling people that I think they are wrong in their opinion.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Meh.

The guy has 5.3 million subscribers.

Just because your daughter never heard of him doesn't mean much. I'm sure she's familiar with YT celebs I've never heard of.

Point is...none of this is offensive and people need to hakuna their tatas over this kind of thing.

And yes, I'm telling people that I think they are wrong in their opinion.
And I'm telling you that you're wrong to tell other people wtf they're supposed to think.

Plenty of internet idiots have a lot of followers on YouTube.

Doesn't mean everyone recognizes the namaste pose as "Papa Bless" or whatever. Maybe those chicks all do yoga... I have no clue.

It does matter if my daughter and other Asian people have not heard of this fabled "Papa Bless" gesture when they see a girl posing with a bunch of other people wearing a Chinese dress doing what appears to be a mock namaste pose.

This is why not instantly posting every single photo of yourself for the entire world to see is a good idea.

I don't blame a high schooler, though. I blame her parents.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And I'm telling you that you're wrong to tell other people wtf they're supposed to think.

Plenty of internet idiots have a lot of followers on YouTube.

Doesn't mean everyone recognizes the namaste pose as "Papa Bless" or whatever. Maybe those chicks all do yoga... I have no clue.

It does matter if my daughter and other Asian people have not heard of this fabled "Papa Bless" gesture when they see a girl posing with a bunch of other people wearing a Chinese dress doing what appears to be a mock namaste pose.

This is why not instantly posting every single photo of yourself for the entire world to see is a good idea.

I don't blame a high schooler, though. I blame her parents.
I never said everyone recognizes it. I even said I didn't until I asked my son about it. Him and his buddies run around doing those goofy poses in a joking manner. *shrug*

Its not a big deal.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I never said everyone recognizes it. I even said I didn't until I asked my son about it. Him and his buddies run around doing those goofy poses all the time. *shrug*

Its not a big deal.
In hindsight and with all this extra info I had to learn, I suppose it's not.

But, people's opinions aren't invalid just because I can agree that it's not a big deal.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Exactly. Notice how they never claim "cultural appropriation" when a black chick makes her hair straight?
Good point.

Like all things Liberal, it's a one-way street: Minorities can never be guilty of the evils White Europeans, in spite of the fact that Minorities have done the exact same things.

We have a local high school here, the Anderson Redskins, who are currently embattled with the name-change thing.

I was glad to see on the news that hundreds of people showed up at the school board meeting to defend the use of their name and mascot.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:56 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The cultural appropriation nonsense has to stop .

Isn’t America supposed to be a “melting pot “ you don’t hear that much anymore .

If everyone only wore the clothes or cooked the food of their “culture “ wouldn’t it be boring ?

All the black girls would have to show up topless.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:03 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Total and embarrassing FAIL on the offended parties:

Chinese dress at US prom wins support in China after internet backlash | South China Morning Post

Quote:
But those commenting in mainland China were less opposed to Daum’s dress.

“Very elegant and beautiful! Really don’t understand the people who are against her, they are wrong!” one person commented on an article by Wenxue City News. “I suggest the Chinese government, state television or fashion company invite her to China to display her cheongsam!”

“It is not cultural theft,” another wrote. “It is cultural appreciation and cultural respect.”

Weibo users added that Daum looked beautiful and criticised those who have accused her.

“Culture has no borders,” one wrote. “There is no problem, as long as there is no malice or deliberate maligning. Chinese cultural treasures are worth spreading all over the world.”
I'm not surprised it was an 'Asian American' who initially posted the tweet expressing outrage. Reminds me of this video where some Asian Americans are eating Panda Express, and as if they are following a predictable script, turn their snobby faces at the food because it ain't authentic. Well, they fed Asians from mainland Asia the same food and they liked it.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:43 PM

577 posts, read 663,479 times
Those who objected to the dress are either on drugs..... or need to be.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:23 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
This isn’t a liberal or left-wing issue; it’s only relevant to those on the outer fringes.
That may be the case, but the problem is that these people get way more attention than they deserve and not enough normal left leaning folks are willing to come out and denounce this kind of silliness.....

In essence, you are kind of letting them represent your whole party, even if you don't agree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies