Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 03:00 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
What IS the stop gap solution?
Whatever the EO is supposed to be - I haven't seen it. It may be trash - I don't know.

My whole point is that there are laws in play here. Trump and the Democrats are in a political game of chicken. Trump seems to have blinked on this - pending whatever the EO says.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:01 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump caved.

Dems 1, Trump 0.

Speaker Pelosi, coming soon to a Congress near you!
Not so fast...

Democratic candidates vow to dump Pelosi
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...idterms-655484

Quote:
A growing number of hopefuls say they won’t back her for speaker if Democrats win the House. Pelosi has little margin for error.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
trump used an EO to end his own idiotic policy.

An EO wasn't necessary. A simple phone call would've sufficed.

It's not going to court as it'd be a waste of time. The moron wrote an EO to correct his own imposed policy that isn't law or an EO.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I really am rooting for you.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:03 PM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Or they'll pull all the stops out and start plowing through the bogus asylum claims.

Obama didn't manage to figure it out, but I bet you'll go on record saying he's a genius. At least Trump is attempting to follow the rule of law.
At least Obama had enough sense to audit companies for I 9 compliance. That's the only thing that will stop people coming to the USA to work. Jail their employers

Old 06-20-2018, 03:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And you must be blind and deaf. The original Flores pertained to unaccompanied minors but I've given you both the direct text and link to where the courts later decided it applies to both accompanied and unaccompanied minors.

It's too soon to be drawing any profound conclusions here.

If the EO is still standing a month from now, I'll concede that you were right and I was wrong.

If it is blocked, will you concede that Trump was correct when he said it couldn't be solved by EO and the govt was not allowed to keep families together in detention?
Flores does not mandate that families be separated. What Flores says is that children must be released to parents or other relatives, or, if that's not possible, they must be placed in the least restrictive setting possible.

In the text of the EO, Trump asks the AG to file a motion to modify the Flores settlement, "in a manner that would permit the Secretary, under present resource constraints, to detain alien families together throughout the pendency of criminal proceedings for improper entry or any removal or other immigration proceedings." I presume that Trump is asking that Flores be modified so that kids can be in jail with their parents. If you're arguing that people will use the Flores to say that kids shouldn't go to jail with their parents, I'll agree that you're right.

And as I've said in other posts, Trump finds himself where previous administrations found themselves with regard to those who have crossed the border for the first time and have minors with them.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:06 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
trump used an EO to end his own idiotic policy.

An EO wasn't necessary. A simple phone call would've sufficed.

It's not going to court as it'd be a waste of time. The moron wrote an EO to correct his own imposed policy that isn't law or an EO.
Im confused...what "idiotic policy" of Trumps are you referring to? You claim it was HIS policy..please tell us..

Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Whatever the EO is supposed to be - I haven't seen it. It may be trash - I don't know.

My whole point is that there are laws in play here. Trump and the Democrats are in a political game of chicken. Trump seems to have blinked on this - pending whatever the EO says.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...486058431.html

Old 06-20-2018, 03:10 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,727 times
Default The flip of a switch, the dial of a call, the stroke of a pen, the fork of a tongue, the lob of the blame bomb

Trump's standard operating procedure= Rules, convention and decency are made to be broken at his convenience (constantly). Rules are to be made and enforced when he feels they serve him. Until, gee, when they actually don't and the masses rise up against him, including members of his own party who finally found their spines. Then it's gotta be somebody else's fault. What a weasel and a worm. Not the ethics emblematic of a leader, much less a president.

For example, the chaotic events in the news which anybody not living under a rock can't have missed. What a difference a day makes about what is law and what is not and who can change it and whose fault it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f92ced7e6a23

Quote:
I hate the children being taken away. The Democrats have to change their law. That’s their law.”
— President Trump, in remarks to reporters at the White House, June 15

“We have the worst immigration laws in the entire world. Nobody has such sad, such bad and, actually, in many cases, such horrible and tough — you see about child separation, you see what’s going on there.”
— Trump, in remarks at the White House, June 18

“Because of the Flores consent decree and a 9th Circuit Court decision, ICE can only keep families detained together for a very short period of time.”
— Attorney General Jeff Sessions, in a speech in Bozeman, Mont., June 7

“It’s the law, and that’s what the law states.”
— White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, at a news briefing, June 14

“We do not have a policy of separating families at the border. Period.”
— Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, on Twitter, June 17

The president and top administration officials say U.S. laws or court rulings are forcing them to separate families that are caught trying to cross the southern border.

These claims are false. Immigrant families are being separated primarily because the Trump administration in April began to prosecute as many border-crossing offenses as possible. This “zero-tolerance policy” applies to all adults, regardless of whether they cross alone or with their children.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/u...ive-order.html

Quote:
President Trump caved to enormous political pressure on Wednesday and signed an executive order that ends the separation of families by indefinitely detaining parents and children together at the border.

“We’re going to have strong, very strong borders but we are going to keep the families together,” Mr. Trump said as he signed the order at the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office.
Gee, what a novel concept! And in only 24 hours.

Quote:
Sunny Hostin from "The View" quoting someone: "Parents don't put their child in a boat on the water if it's safer on land."
Not concrete enough for Trumpers.

Trump's word is as solid as the air he spews it out into. Most of his base are likely crying in their beers today. May there be many more victories for decency and decent people in the future---despite Trump and his base. And Trump's unethical operating style (or situational ethics imposed upon him only when the masses and his allies rise up).

Old 06-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Here's the other law in play from the report...

Congress passed the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008 (TVPRA, P.L. 110-457). The TVPRA directed the Secretary of DHS, in conjunction with other federal agencies, to develop policies and procedures to ensure that UAC in the United States are safely repatriated to their country of nationality or of last habitual residence. The section set forth special rules for UAC from contiguous countries (i.e., Mexico and Canada), allowing such children, under certain circumstances, to return to Mexico or Canada without additional penalties, and directing the Secretary of State to negotiate agreements with Mexico and Canada to manage the repatriation process. The TVPRA mandated that unaccompanied alien children from countries other than Mexico or Canada—along with UAC from those countries who are apprehended away from the border—are to be transferred to the care and custody of HHS and placed in formal removal proceedings.
That clearly applies to people who have been brought here as human trafficking victims. It says they get care and housing until they can be returned to their countries. It does not apply to crying toddlers taken from their mothers' arms.

Trump backed off from saying there was a law that mandated separating children from parents. Why can't you?

Geezus.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:13 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
I am so happy to see Mrs. Nancy and Mr. Chuck standing up to that old meanie Trump. I bet each of them is fostering at least a half dozen of those poor babies in their mansions right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies