Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Maybe they actually sat down and discussed the issue and came up with a stop gap solution.

The Democrats in the Senate could easily wipe the issue away, but the families are not their main issue... Trump is.
Wrong again.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:49 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You must be dizzy. You started out saying that Flores mandated that children be separated from their parents when it said no such thing. Now that Trump has caved to political and popular pressure from both sides of the aisle and signed an EO to stop separating families, you are desperately trying to spin this into support for your argument.

The bottom line is there is no law mandating that children be separated from their parents and if there had been, how can Trump have "fixed" it with an EO?

And you must be blind and deaf. The original Flores pertained to unaccompanied minors but I've given you both the direct text and link to where the courts later decided it applies to both accompanied and unaccompanied minors.

It's too soon to be drawing any profound conclusions here.

If the EO is still standing a month from now, I'll concede that you were right and I was wrong.

If it is blocked, will you concede that Trump was correct when he said it couldn't be solved by EO and the govt was not allowed to keep families together in detention?

11,404 posts, read 4,088,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wrong again.
Per usual.

Par for the course, considering.....

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Trump caved.

Dems 1, Trump 0.

Speaker Pelosi, coming soon to a Congress near you!

Old 06-20-2018, 02:50 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Or they'll pull all the stops out and start plowing through the bogus asylum claims.

Obama didn't manage to figure it out, but I bet you'll go on record saying he's a genius. At least Trump is attempting to follow the rule of law.
I've never said Obama was a genius, but Obama did his best to understand complex problems and try to solve them. Trump has neither the ability nor the will to tackle that requires more than about 60 seconds of his attention.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
That footnote does not mean that there is or ever has been a "law" mandating that children be separated from their parents when their parents are picked up on a first offense of entering the country illegally. That was your original argument, which you have not been able to support.

Law consists of both written statutes AND the court's interpretations and rulings on them.

Show me the "law" that police have to read a person their rights when arrested.

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
You must be dizzy. You started out saying that Flores mandated that children be separated from their parents when it said no such thing. Now that Trump has caved to political and popular pressure from both sides of the aisle and signed an EO to stop separating families, you are desperately trying to spin this into support for your argument.

The bottom line is there is no law mandating that children be separated from their parents and if there had been, how can Trump have "fixed" it with an EO?
Here's the other law in play from the report...

Congress passed the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008 (TVPRA, P.L. 110-457). The TVPRA directed the Secretary of DHS, in conjunction with other federal agencies, to develop policies and procedures to ensure that UAC in the United States are safely repatriated to their country of nationality or of last habitual residence. The section set forth special rules for UAC from contiguous countries (i.e., Mexico and Canada), allowing such children, under certain circumstances, to return to Mexico or Canada without additional penalties, and directing the Secretary of State to negotiate agreements with Mexico and Canada to manage the repatriation process. The TVPRA mandated that unaccompanied alien children from countries other than Mexico or Canada—along with UAC from those countries who are apprehended away from the border—are to be transferred to the care and custody of HHS and placed in formal removal proceedings.

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Maybe they actually sat down and discussed the issue and came up with a stop gap solution - you know, like normal people when faced with an issue.

The Democrats in the Senate could easily wipe the issue away, but the families are not their main issue... Trump is.
What IS the stop gap solution?

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And you must be blind and deaf. The original Flores pertained to unaccompanied minors but I've given you both the direct text and link to where the courts later decided it applies to both accompanied and unaccompanied minors.

It's too soon to be drawing any profound conclusions here.

If the EO is still standing a month from now, I'll concede that you were right and I was wrong.

If it is blocked, will you concede that Trump was correct when he said it couldn't be solved by EO and the govt was not allowed to keep families together in detention?
trump used an EO to end his own idiotic policy.

An EO wasn't necessary. A simple phone call would've sufficed.

It's not going to court as it'd be a waste of time. The moron wrote an EO to correct his own imposed policy that isn't law or an EO.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
trump used an EO to end his own idiotic policy.

An EO wasn't necessary. A simple phone call would've sufficed.

It's not going to court as it'd be a waste of time. The moron wrote an EO to correct his own imposed policy that isn't law or an EO.
Trump goes for the drama-drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies