Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're smuggling children. That's an international crime. Of course, the children are going to be taken from them.
BS. Parents are not "smuggling children". The international crime is what the USA is committing in not allowing the refugee claimant process the USA HAS AGREED TO IN INTERNATIONAL TREATIES.

Since when does the USA not abide by its treaties?

Oh yeah, since Trump. Do you think many western nations will ever trust the USA again? If you can elect one treaty breaker, what solace does any other country have that it won't happen again?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why don't you instead blame their parents for trying to enter the US illegally??

The illegals are counting on YOUR bleeding hearts to give them entry into our country, just because they have children with them.
You can blame their parents all you want, but that should not result in taking children away from their parents or treating them like they are prison inmates.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'm fine with the Indian tech workers staying in India. And we should do away with anchor babies too. Next?
Ok, then let's just get rid of all first generation immigrants. We can revoke their citizenship and send them home right along with the "anchor babies". Would it be ok with you if the government revoked your citizenship?

Old 06-14-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Most of these people are from Guatemala and Honduras. Mexico is the first safe country. If they were truly in need of asylum they could get that in Mexico. Most of these people do not meet the requirements for asylum.
The first safe country is a EU rule, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with North America.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Breaking today. All these bible-thumpers are the same...cherry pick quotes from their 'good' book while overlooking the basic principles of Christianity.

Jeff Sessions cites the Bible as precedent for Trump administration policy separating children from undocumented parents - NY Daily News
Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday claimed the Bible justifies the Trump administration’s much-maligned policy to separate children from their undocumented parents at the southern border.

“Illegal entry into the United States is a crime,” Sessions said at an event in Fort Wayne, Ind. “I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order.”
Quote:
He forgot about Romans 12:13: “Extend hospitality to strangers.”

Old 06-14-2018, 03:26 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The first safe country is a EU rule, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with North America.
You're sort of correct.

Canada and the US actually do have a first safe country rule. The trouble is, it only applies for those that go through normal border crossings. Right now Canada has a problem with refugee claimants from the USA that found a loop hole, by avoiding those normal border crossings.

Canada hopes the USA starts enforcing their laws on their side of the border and stop these "refugees" from coming into Canada. Canada doesn't have any empty Walmarts to keep them in!

Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Breaking today. All these bible-thumpers are the same...cherry pick quotes from their 'good' book while overlooking the basic principles of Christianity.

Jeff Sessions cites the Bible as precedent for Trump administration policy separating children from undocumented parents - NY Daily News
Strange that Sessions would omit many verses, some in the same section where they find their justification for discriminating against gays. I guess Christianity is the 'buffet' of religions, you believe what you want and leave the rest off your plate.

Leviticus 19:33-34 “When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.”

Zechariah 7:9-10 “Thus says the Lord of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart.”

Ezekiel 47:22 “You shall allot it as an inheritance for yourselves and for the sojourners who reside among you and have had children among you. They shall be to you as native-born children of Israel. With you they shall be allotted an inheritance among the tribes of Israel.”

Old 06-14-2018, 04:27 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You're sort of correct.

Canada and the US actually do have a first safe country rule. The trouble is, it only applies for those that go through normal border crossings. Right now Canada has a problem with refugee claimants from the USA that found a loop hole, by avoiding those normal border crossings.

Canada hopes the USA starts enforcing their laws on their side of the border and stop these "refugees" from coming into Canada. Canada doesn't have any empty Walmarts to keep them in!
Funny how the USA has a double standard regarding immigration. On the one hand they yank children from their parents and put them in a detention center, and on the other hand the country uses fear tactics to encourage immigrants (especially from Haiti) to illegally enter Canada. The USA is heavy handed with immigrants entering the country, but couldn't care less about people illegally entering other countries through the border.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
I'm against illegal immigration. I'm not even a fan of legal immigration to be honest.

But what the Republicans are doing in the name of Trump here is absolutely abhorrent and evil. You do not separate families. We should not be changing our rules to do so. This is evil. I'd rather have open borders then to act in this manner.

We need to keep these families together, and remove them from our country together. No justification that people have made in this thread is worth acting in this manner.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:32 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,670,725 times
Separating children, especially small children, from their parents is cruel and inhumane. Trauma like that can have lasting damage.

I do feel that illegal immigration needs to be addressed, but inflicting harm on children is a coward's way out.

And do not spout the Bible while trying to justify your nasty actions. That reminds me of a friend whose father used to beat her with a belt while yelling out "scriptures", typical of a true sicko.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies