Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:50 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no you have seen political spin, and media spin

I worked the borders for years...

this is human trafficking, and the liberals think the smugglers/traffickers/criminals are the good people.. they are NOT THE PARENTS

most of these 'kids' are SOLD/stolen from their parents back in home country....
Can you provide any evidence to support your claim?

"There were 46 cases of fraudulent family claims in the 2017 fiscal year....... And those instances make up less than 1 percent of the families apprehended at the border." (NYT June 19, 2018)

And why do you put 'kids' in quotes? Some of these detainees are toddlers and pre-teens. Do they not meet your definition of kids?

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That article doesn't say I'm wrong. It's not a Trump policy. It's the law, and Trump must follow it.
Once again - -numerous posts, links, discussions on the law. The law does NOT mandate (that means say that they HAVE to) separate families.

There is a provision in the law that allows for it - but there is no mandate for long term separation of parents and children.

Google - read the 300 pages -- but just know -- there is no law.

AND even if there was -- the law has never stopped Trump before from an executive order changing the law.

All of a sudden Trump can't find the power? Really?

You believe that?

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
As POTUS, Trump has the authority to end this IMMEDIATELY. Trump can call DHS director Nielsen right now and ORDER her to stop separating kids from parents.

Any Trump supporters want to address that?

Yes. Illegal Aliens need to stay the **** out of our country.

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So 7 days after all this and now he has decided that it is about safety of the child. Why wouldn't they have introduced the DNA test last week.

This is some crazy stuff and y'all are just eating it up.
An interesting case noted below. A DNA test was done in this instance, but only after media outcry.

"To recap, Ms. L. fled the Democratic Republic of the Congo with her then-6-year-old daughter, S.S., fearing imminent death. They arrived at a port of entry in California in November, found a border agent and said they were seeking asylum. But for reasons that remain unexplained, she was separated from her daughter and incarcerated at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in San Diego.
But there were no allegations of abuse or neglect, the mother’s detention was never explained and no DNA test was done at the time to confirm that S.S. was Ms. L.’s child. Only after the lawsuit and pressure from the Chicago Tribune and other news organizations was the mother released from the facility in San Diego. Only after the lawsuit and media coverage was a DNA test performed, a test that confirmed the two are mother and child."

Congolese mother and child finally reunited in Chicago - Chicago Tribune

A lawsuit has been filed and the case is moving forward.

"A federal judge in San Diego on Wednesday refused to dismiss a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration’s practice of taking children from immigrants when they arrive at the border to seek asylum, ruling that the “wrenching separation” of families may violate the Constitution’s guarantees of due process."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/u...nts-court.html

Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I have never known a US Administration like this one.

Punish and bully your closest allies, whilst looking at despots with respect.
It’s always been this way. Support white. Kill others. Think about it. Vietnam. Korea. Desert swarm. What am I missing?*

Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
And one thing that is interesting nobody is focussing on.

One of the fall outs of separating parent/child is that the parent gets sent back and the child is left in the USA. The parent that is deported has no means to track the child, etc.

So what happens to these children.

I'll appeal to the cold hearted here -- do you really want the financial and social responsibility of all these kids ripped form their parents.

If the families stayed together they would be returned together.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
2005 it became a felony... keep up with the times
From March, 2013:

"Each year the Border Patrol apprehends hundreds of thousands of aliens who flagrantly violate our nation's laws by unlawfully crossing U.S. borders. Such illegal entry is a misdemeanor, and, if repeated after being deported, becomes punishable as a felony."

https://www.fairus.org/issue/illegal...igration-crime

Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
And one thing that is interesting nobody is focussing on.

One of the fall outs of separating parent/child is that the parent gets sent back and the child is left in the USA. The parent that is deported has no means to track the child, etc.

So what happens to these children.

I'll appeal to the cold hearted here -- do you really want the financial and social responsibility of all these kids ripped form their parents.

If the families stayed together they would be returned together.

Seems like a good idea to me.
What "families?"

Give us a figure on how many families we're actually talking about...

Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Then we should not incarcerate US citizens who are single parents. Ban foster families. There are 600,000 foster kids each year in the USA. Much bigger problem than the kids on the border. Do videos of the kids being taken from their parents. I am sure that would be horrible to watch. So what is the solution to that problem?

I agree the law should be changed. But I don't believe we should just release the parents because we have a badly written law on the books.

Congress needs to quickly deal with this. Come up with a compromise.
No one incarcerated in the US who can't find a relative or friend to care for their friend has their child placed in a detention center or is released from custody without knowing where to find their child. That's a lame argument dreamed up by Trump sycophants ...think for yourself rather than listen to them

Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
The government has admitted to taking the kids from their parents.

Yes the Nazi concentration camp is an overstatement of the conditions.

But yes kids, nursing babies are being taken from their mothers.

It is what it is. Sure they are in cozy little warehouse, segregated by walls made of wire fencing and given apples and water (one boy who eventually was released said he was hungry all the time -- apples and water was the big meal and they woke them up in the middle of the night to take head counts -- so cozy and warm and caring).

I'm not as worried about the conditions they are kept -- i'm concerned for the separation of children from parents.
Then maybe you would support dropping leaflets in Spanish over Central America telling them to stay where they are and solve their Country's problems.

Or is the promise of a Democrat ballot to strong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies