Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yes.

Her own words clearly demonstrate she was upset that a person was sleeping in the common area. It had nothing to do with race.

If there's a rule against sleeping in that area then the upset student should have went to an RA and reported it. Confronting the sleeping student was not going to accomplish anything.

Also, I have zero doubt in my mind that part of admissions is you agreeing to produce a student ID if asked to do so by campus police.

Now I'm wondering if she was the RA and the media is keeping that fact out.

It still seems like a stupid thing to call the police over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 09:32 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
First-she's a 34 year old woman-hardly your typical, expected college student. 2nd, she's sleeping in a "common area" when she has a dorm room. There is EVERY REASON for the police to be called on such a person. There is no obvious reason to conclude that she's a student (due to her age and action) and every reason she's just another bum flopping there. The caller, and police, did nothing wrong, and there is nothing to indicate that the incident had anything to do with race. Well, except in the little mind of the whiner that wanted her 5 minutes of fame-and a CNN editor that wants to promote an agenda.
First a black woman who is 34, I’m sure didn’t look 34 as we age very well and typically look much younger.

Second if she is a grad student of course she would be older.

Three, students FALL ASLEEP all the time in common areas at universities especially during finals.

From the schools website
Graduate School students and their family members can study, meet informally, socialize, nap, enjoy coffee and tea, or bring their own food and drinks, in the McDougal Common Room & Lounge during operating hours. After hours access is not permitted.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Now I'm wondering if she was the RA and the media is keeping that fact out.

It still seems like a stupid thing to call the police over.
I'd love to see the guidelines on that common area.

My gut is telling me Rip Van Winkle is playing the race card and mother hen is a nut job but her insanity is not racially-motivated.

Needless to say the media will lap up the racial aspect to feed the ratings/division machine.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
First a black woman who is 34, I’m sure didn’t look 34 as we age very well and typically look much younger.

Three, students FALL ASLEEP all the time in common areas at universities especially during finals.

From the schools website
Graduate School students and their family members can study, meet informally, socialize, nap, enjoy coffee and tea, or bring their own food and drinks, in the McDougal Common Room & Lounge during operating hours. After hours access is not permitted.
Was it "after hours"?

Link?

1,874 posts, read 819,156 times
were charges pressed? otherwise, who cares? police often times "arrest" people to diffuse situations. I have been fake arrested before in such a circumstance (a fight) and they let me go.

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Oh, so the girl who called the police should not only be suspended or expelled, but get her ass kicked as well? Yeah, that’s appropriate.
Well sometimes a little ass whopping goes a long ways.
What the girl who called the police should do is grow up, move out of her safe space, accept reality and let others do the same.
I dont believe I called for her to be suspended, expelled or get her ass kicked.
I said that if I was on the jury I would look at it as self defense. Little miss panties in a bunch over someone sleeping used the police as a weapon.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:39 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What a total non-issue. Of course CNN is on it as their owners (Time Warner) desperately try to sow division and hatred between ordinary Americans while they laugh all the way to the bank. Time Warner will be one of the biggest spenders in the upcoming election, funding puppets of big business to crush the common man. All while using the CNN platform to pretend they care about the common people. They are no better than Fox.
As Siyonbola says in the video, the woman who called the cops on her also called them on her friend a few months ago. His "crime" was being in a stairwell while Black.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:41 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post

From the schools website
Some "look younger"...some don't. A grad student IS typically older than an undergrad-typically maybe 23-25 years old. Not 34. Not unreasonable to find a middle aged woman passed out in a public area of an Ivy League university to be unusual-regardless of race. It's not like she fell asleep while studying-the lights were turned off, per her own words.

All she had to do was present her ID when asked and the incident was over. But no-what fun is that when you can make something into a racial incident? Seems like another overly entitled, arrogant idiot with a huge chip on her shoulder. Real question-are students required to present ID when asked? IF SO-she should be facing discipline from the school.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 05-09-2018 at 09:50 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 09:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who has completed a postgraduate degree has fallen asleep studying. The other student was clearly attempting to cause trouble, likely jealous. This is exam time. She knew just what she was doing and should be suspended or expelled.

The police were ignorant for acting as though there was a problem with her ID. They were well aware of what the ID looks like. I’ll be darned if I am an Ivy League grad student being harassed in my own dorm by jealous people who likely went to community college if any college at all. Glad the young lady made this public.
I have a master's degree and I never fell asleep in some public spot while I was in college.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I have a master's degree and I never fell asleep in some public spot while I was in college.
I never did either. No way in hell I'm letting my guard down like that in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies