Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
somehow i doubt 'african studies' requires intensive study to the point of exhaustion.

still, i don't see the point of notifying anyone over this, especially the police.
Did you really just say that? Why would it not require intensive study?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Either sleeping is allowed in that area or it is not. What has race got to do with it?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The amazing thing about that video was that whoever recorded it and uploaded it must have had no clue how stupid and ridiculous it made the students look. I think they actually believed they were outing the professor as a racist, which he clearly wasn't.
Just watched a short bit of it . Thought it was weird the girl that accused him of being racist then went to being on her phone .. maybe she was recording him too ?

We have a thing now where every older white male is automatically viewed as racist by SJWs . Not good .

Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
New cultural mantra - if you see something, say something.

If anything makes you nervous, like a white adult male walking through a mall with a black child, or someone wearing a pro-gun rights t-shirt, or a nerdy kid in high school who seems creepy...alert the authorities.

The new Paranoid States of America.

Nothing racist about it, just hysterical busybodies being hysterical busybodies.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:01 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
because it's a joke major. try p-chem.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:10 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Because that's a major that has developed a bad reputation as being abused to keep athletes eligible.

One reason is that it comes with "better cover" than the historically abused "marketing major" (etc.) is that any criticism of the program is met by reactions just like yours, a literal *gasp* that any implication that they are at many schools questionable programs is somehow just racism.

I suspect that you don't follow college sports that closely so were unaware of the stigma with several majors being designed primarily as a way to support the sports programs.

How athletes end up in easy majors and fake classes | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Either sleeping is allowed in that area or it is not. What has race got to do with it?
My issue with the whole thing, regardless of race, is why are the cops being called and more importantly coming to campus to investigate this issue? It’s one thing if it was an intruder (i.e. someone was trespassing), but for someone breaking dorm rules, I’m not understanding why cops were involved. I would have thought the cops would tell the lady that called to report the violation to the RA or housing committee. I don’t think what she did was a “crime” as much as it was a violation of school dorm policy.

Then the cops spent 15 minute investigating her ID that had expired. When they first arrived they said that they just wanted to be able to prove the girl lived there, and she opened 2 of the dorm doors with her keys to prove that. Even though the girl was giving the cops a lot of attitude, I can understand why she was upset.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
New cultural mantra - if you see something, say something.

If anything makes you nervous, like a white adult male walking through a mall with a black child, or someone wearing a pro-gun rights t-shirt, or a nerdy kid in high school who seems creepy...alert the authorities.

The new Paranoid States of America.

Nothing racist about it, just hysterical busybodies being hysterical busybodies.
There are a lot of "I will report you to the mods" folks here.

In real life, nobody really likes these folks. But I am not sure these folks need to be fired to kicked out of school.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
That phrase was created to combat terrorism, and has been abused to death. Does anyone with a functioning brain cell really think that this woman was a potential terrorist because of where she chose to take a nap?

Good grief.
I agree, and what it does is create a culture of fear and paranoia.

Also, around finals the students are stressed and often short on sleep (hence the napper) and are also WARNED that during finals are times where off-campus criminals will try to target students.

Basically, what we don't know is the girls motivation but what we do know is that she GROSSLY over-reacted and is likely a little stressed-out professional victim that delights in being complete tools to people over anything you may say or do around them.

The caller is likely the kind of person that would also report a male student wearing a Chick-fil-A shirt to the university conduct board for causing her great injury or like "matress girl" would retroactively decide consensual sex 3 months earlier was rape and go to the cops. There are some unreasonable *messed up* people out there.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
My issue with the whole thing, regardless of race, is why are the cops being called and more importantly coming to campus to investigate this issue? It’s one thing if it was an intruder (i.e. someone was trespassing), but for someone breaking dorm rules, I’m not understanding why cops were involved. I would have thought the cops would tell the lady that called to report the violation to the RA or housing committee. I don’t think what she did was a “crime” as much as it was a violation of school dorm policy.

Then the cops spent 15 minute investigating her ID that had expired. When they first arrived they said that they just wanted to be able to prove the girl lived there, and she opened 2 of the dorm doors with her keys to prove that. Even though the girl was giving the cops a lot of attitude, I can understand why she was upset.
Great post.

The girl that had the cops called on her had every right to be upset and have attitude.

The cops were in a tough position there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies