Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 09:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
somehow i doubt 'african studies' requires intensive study to the point of exhaustion.

still, i don't see the point of notifying anyone over this, especially the police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because that's a major that has developed a bad reputation as being abused to keep athletes eligible.

One reason is that it comes with "better cover" than the historically abused "marketing major" (etc.) is that any criticism of the program is met by reactions just like yours, a literal *gasp* that any implication that they are at many schools questionable programs is somehow just racism.

I suspect that you don't follow college sports that closely so were unaware of the stigma with several majors being designed primarily as a way to support the sports programs.

How athletes end up in easy majors and fake classes | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News
Will note on both of the above that this was a graduate studies student, not undergraduate so not NCAA applicable and graduate courses in African or Africana Studies/history/anthropologyliterature often involve a lot of research and writing like most liberal arts majors.

Note I have a master's degree that is not in liberal arts and my English undergrad degree was harder than my masters due to it involving me writing 10-20 page papers every week for 3-4 classes in every semester. And her asking why the major wouldn't involve intensive study is not indicative of a "gasp" or saying that anything is "racism" just a question about why it would not involve serious study so not sure how you got that angle from her question and especially since this was a graduate student and not any way applicable to NCAA fake/easy majors. Most graduate students write books as a part of their liberal arts degree program and especially so if they are a PhD student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because that's a major that has developed a bad reputation as being abused to keep athletes eligible.

One reason is that it comes with "better cover" than the historically abused "marketing major" (etc.) is that any criticism of the program is met by reactions just like yours, a literal *gasp* that any implication that they are at many schools questionable programs is somehow just racism.

I suspect that you don't follow college sports that closely so were unaware of the stigma with several majors being designed primarily as a way to support the sports programs.

How athletes end up in easy majors and fake classes | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News
I don't follow college sports at all. It just seems to me that studying Africa and its history is just as legitimate as studying any other part of the world. History does not begin and end with Europe and the US.

I do think it's unfortunate that so much emphasis is placed on sports in schools, including high schools, at the expense of academics, but that's a whole other discussion.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:06 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Some "look younger"...some don't. A grad student IS typically older than an undergrad-typically maybe 23-25 years old. Not 34. Not unreasonable to find a middle aged woman passed out in a public area of an Ivy League university to be unusual-regardless of race. It's not like she fell asleep while studying-the lights were turned off, per her own words.

All she had to do was present her ID when asked and the incident was over. But no-what fun is that when you can make something into a racial incident? Seems like another overly entitled, arrogant idiot with a huge chip on her shoulder. Real question-are students required to present ID when asked? IF SO-she should be facing discipline from the school.
Oh come on. At 34, you are not "middle aged". Seriously? And maybe she decided to go back to school, or maybe she started college late. Not all students are in their early 20s.

And falling asleep while studying...it happens all the time. It is possible that she fell asleep on accident, have you never done that? I have a lot, especially when I was studying.

Sure, she's not supposed to sleep there after hours...okay. So why couldn't Miss Busy Body just wake her up and say, "Hey, it's after hours, better get out of here before someone reports you for sleeping in here." Would that have been too hard?

Were there books around the student? Papers? Knapsack? Laptop? Why not talk to the person instead of instantly going full throttle and calling the police on everyone for stupid crap like "falling asleep"?

What world does this person live in that they need to call the cops on something so trivial? Yes, it is trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It’s pretty stupid. I don’t know if she told the dispatcher that the girl was a student there, but if she did then the police should have said to let the RA deal with it.

And this is a problem I have with this generation. It seems like they all want to run to some authority and tell on people. When we were kids we called those people narcs and solved our own problems most of the time. I would have never even thought about calling the police on someone I knew lived there. It seems I’m constantly reading about someone calling the police for nothing, or running to the School administration about some offensive thing a professor said in class, or some other innocuous thing.
This. Although it has been going on for longer than just Millennials. It does seem to be getting worse these days, however. It's like people have no idea how to talk to other people. They do hide behind authority while trying to exert authority that they don't have. My mom told me a long time ago that when you see people act like this, it's because they have no control in their own lives, so they try to control others. If they can do that in front of other people, it gives them a bigger feeling of control. Miss Smirks A Lot should seek therapy to learn some people skills that she's clearly sorely lacking.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh come on. At 34, you are not "middle aged". Seriously? And maybe she decided to go back to school, or maybe she started college late. Not all students are in their early 20s.

And falling asleep while studying...it happens all the time. It is possible that she fell asleep on accident, have you never done that? I have a lot, especially when I was studying.

Sure, she's not supposed to sleep there after hours...okay. So why couldn't Miss Busy Body just wake her up and say, "Hey, it's after hours, better get out of here before someone reports you for sleeping in here." Would that have been too hard?

Were there books around the student? Papers? Knapsack? Laptop? Why not talk to the person instead of instantly going full throttle and calling the police on everyone for stupid crap like "falling asleep"?

What world does this person live in that they need to call the cops on something so trivial? Yes, it is trivial.
Oh you can't figure out why someone would call the cops on an interpersonal disagreement with a Black person? Let's point out that the last time she did this was to another Black grad student she refused to believe went to school there.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Oh you can't figure out why someone would call the cops on an interpersonal disagreement with a Black person? Let's point out that the last time she did this was to another Black grad student she refused to believe went to school there.
Those were rhetorical questions. Read my very first post on this thread to keep up with how I think before asking such ridiculous questions. It's post #13.

But to make you feel all gooey inside, it has been my experience that the people who do this type of thing are white women. I have never seen a white male do this, Hispanic, Black, or even Asian person do this type of thing. Every time I see that "I'd like to speak to your manager" type, it has always, always, always been a white female.

Happy?

Old 05-10-2018, 10:34 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Read about this somewhere else.

Honestly, all these police calls for non-criminal things occuring, IMO more people need to be fined for calling the cops/911 for stuff like this.

I also don't see a problem with the way the police responded (not in this one or another recent story where Bob Marley's granddaughter had the police called on her because she didn't look "friendly" enough to a person in a neighborhood where she was renting an AirBnB).

Police, when called, have to check out the situation and the ID not working and them having to verify that a person is a student is an acceptable, common sense thing to do IMO.

They should fine the young woman who called the police. Evidently this is not the first time she has done something like this as she did it to another black student before per the article I read earlier.
I use to be an LEO, the trivial, non-criminal calls we got is insane. Stupid stuff like teen daughter not unlocking bedroom door, husband yelled at me, purchasing issues at a store, etc, goes on and on. Stuff that if happened to me, would never even cross my mind to call the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who has completed a postgraduate degree has fallen asleep studying. The other student was clearly attempting to cause trouble, likely jealous. This is exam time. She knew just what she was doing and should be suspended or expelled.

The police were ignorant for acting as though there was a problem with her ID. They were well aware of what the ID looks like. I’ll be darned if I am an Ivy League grad student being harassed in my own dorm by jealous people who likely went to community college if any college at all. Glad the young lady made this public.
I never did. Not saying anything wrong with doing so though.

Quote:
Those were rhetorical questions. Read my very first post on this thread to keep up with how I think before asking such ridiculous questions. It's post #13.

But to make you feel all gooey inside, it has been my experience that the people who do this type of thing are white women. I have never seen a white male do this, Hispanic, Black, or even Asian person do this type of thing. Every time I see that "I'd like to speak to your manager" type, it has always, always, always been a white female.

Happy?
I would say more accurately "female", but I guess it depends on the demographics where you live. My wife worked in retail (and a little time as a server) while going to college, she learned to hate dealing with female customers. The men she never had an issue with. Every horror story I listened to from her involved a female, lol.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:37 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:

This. Although it has been going on for longer than just Millennials. It does seem to be getting worse these days, however. It's like people have no idea how to talk to other people. They do hide behind authority while trying to exert authority that they don't have. My mom told me a long time ago that when you see people act like this, it's because they have no control in their own lives, so they try to control others. If they can do that in front of other people, it gives them a bigger feeling of control. Miss Smirks A Lot should seek therapy to learn some people skills that she's clearly sorely lacking.
I love this post.

I do have a theory about why, though, which I have already mentioned. I think we, particularly younger people, have been so conditioned to "say something" when we "see something" that it's becoming the new norm to say something when you've really seen nothing at all. We've crossed the line between vigilance and paranoia.

Or, perhaps, the girl who did the calling was just a nasty, controlling little twit. Either way, WTF? When did taking a nap become so very threatening that the police must be called, or such a serious breach of conduct that telling a resident assistant wouldn't resolve the issue.

Common sense has never been common, but I think it is now on life support.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,660 times
People who call the police for stupid, trivial mess like this need to be arrested.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I would say more accurately "female", but I guess it depends on the demographics where you live. My wife worked in retail (and a little time as a server) while going to college, she learned to hate dealing with female customers. The men she never had an issue with. Every horror story I listened to from her involved a female, lol.
I worked at Victoria's secrets as a sales associate when I was in college; i also worked part time at an all girl barber shop near Marine Corps base. Men never gave me any problems.

My family has several retail businesses in the shopping malls and we also have restaurants. In my opinion, female customers are generally harder to deal with, middle aged females are the worst. However, they (the middle aged females) are also the most helpful. If I left a case open, they are the ones who would tell me, "Honey, your case is not locked, be careful."

Old 05-10-2018, 10:43 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
I work at a university. I would be more concerned during finals if I walked into a space and there *wasn't* at least one student asleep. Did someone spike the water supply with caffeine? Maybe we should go check.

34 is not remotely unique for a grad student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies