Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,405,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
It takes a village to raise a child. Not everyone lives to be selfish.
On the contrary, selfishness is what drives people to act. If you aren't receiving a reward for your behavior you aren't going to engage in that behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 01:09 PM

34,257 posts, read 18,634,981 times
Political Correctness is just another form of censorship. It does not allow free thought, nor free expression. It limits people unreasonably, and takes the decision making on what is proper away from the individual, and gives it to the state.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:11 PM

13,668 posts, read 20,807,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
his followers lack both.

I won't bother to post some of the memes of his supporters with their obscene t-shirts and signs, but they are happy to have explicit permission to go ahead and publicly say the hate-filled racist, sexist, islamophobic, anti-immigrant, etc. swill they've been shamed for saying before Trump took office. Now it's fair game to spew this hate, because after all, the president does.
Don't bother me with it Bubba. I did not vote for the man.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:11 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,948,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You aren't that far off but you are a bit on one thing: The people with the true privilege haven't lost anything.

Working class people of all stripes have lost standard of living, and many working class people of the white variety have been convinced that the blame should go to minorities, gays, liberals, and pc college professors for their decline. The triumph of Lee Atwater and Roger Ailes, using white Americans tribalism to pit them against these groups as opposed to the people who really control everything and have made out like bandits post Reagan with the help of talk radio and Fox News.

And even when they go after "elites", the focus is on Hollywood and Universities, rarely on Wall St or big business. Funny how that works.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM

125 posts, read 85,289 times
Quote:
It takes a village to raise a child. Not everyone lives to be selfish.
What a load of crap! Read Hill’s book, did you? It takes PARENTS to raise a child.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,776,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the main reasons Trump is so popular is that he gives a big middle finger to political correctness. He intentionally spites demographics who aren't his base, be it racial minorities, LGBT, non-Christians, educated people, urban elites, etc. People love that and that is why no matter what Trump does, he continues to remain popular and his support shows no signs of eroding. It comes down to tribalism and Trump is really sticking it to the people that red state America have long considered "deplorable" and they love it. So the question is, why does political correctness bother people so bad? What is so bad about being empathetic to people who may be different from the norm?
People hate political correctness because sometimes truth is more important than feelings.

For me that's no reason to support Trump... whose advanced case of Affluenza makes him unable to tell the truth on any non-trivial matter. But it's plenty of reason to disdain political correctness.

And lots of people out there are just reactionaries who love anything that their political 'enemies' hate. No matter how stupid and dishonest. Therefore Trump.

But Trump's election IS a cautionary tale about just how much people hate political correctness. And my fellow liberals have learned jack **** from that. They've tripled down on the virtue-signaling. That's probably ok in the short term. But in the long term it invites even nastier politics than our Orange Dotard. In a way we should be thankful we have him. Imagine if he was this nasty but also competent

Old 05-15-2018, 01:17 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
How about people stop being so butthurt about everything? That would be a fantastic start.
Ok, how about Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the Schlapps and the rest of the "how dare she make a joke about eye shadow!!" crowd goes first?

Old 05-15-2018, 01:17 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,794,853 times
15 years ago conservatives were complaining about acceptance of gay marriage as political correctness gone awry. Today they complain about transgender Americans. Progressives have been right on everything from the rejection of feudalism to women's suffrage.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:21 PM

13,668 posts, read 20,807,345 times
Quote:
15 years ago conservatives were complaining about acceptance of gay marriage as political correctness gone awry. Today they complain about transgender Americans. Progressives have been right on everything from the rejection of feudalism to women's suffrage.

Ummmm ..... please don't make me dig up all the quotes by Democrats decrying Gay Marriage.

Likewise I grow tired of posting how many Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act and the like.

I have an idea: Instead of posting stupid stuff, why don't you go look it up?

Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,794,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Ummmm ..... please don't make me dig up all the quotes by Democrats decrying Gay Marriage.

Likewise I grow tired of posting how many Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act and the like.

I have an idea: Instead of posting stupid stuff, why don't you go look it up?
There were and still are conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans. Obama was clearly wrong on his gay marriage position, and the Dixiecrats in the south were awful as well. The two party dichotomy does not make sense when examining social issues. It's a difference between liberal and conservative, not Republican and Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies