Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 02:48 PM

13,654 posts, read 20,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
This is a good point. He just wants to be an angry and mean jackass, and say "I'm just telling it like it is"...LOL...no, you're not. You're just saying whatever you want (regardless of accuracy), and you don't care how it affects other people.

I agree that sometimes PC-ness can go a little too far. But just treating each other with respect is not very hard to do. And it's certainly something we should want to see abandoned. Nor is it "PC".
Reasonable.

I am frequently shocked how Trump treats his own staff. It is not a question of being PC. It is question of being an obnoxious and inconsistent loudmouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 02:50 PM

32,115 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
You assume a sophisticated society.

After 2000 and 2016 with the way our electorate is you need reach out and understand voters in key swing states. At the very least refrain from pissing them off Most politicians not named Hillary Clinton understand this.

And Barack had many successful programs that helped “deplorables” I.e. cash for clunkers. He didn’t offend large areas of his voting base from 2008-2012. Police that’s another story
So Hillary needed to refrain from calling a percentage of Trump "deplorables," but Trump doesn't need to refrain from calling women fat cows, "4s," and "ugly inside and out?"

Okay. I guess that make sense. Well, actually, not really. But okay.

I'm also not sure why people think the next Democrat needs to win a single person who voted for Trump. Trump won Michigan by 10,704 votes. A Democratic candidate could make that ground up in Detroit alone. Trump won on a last second Hail Mary in a single elimination format but his supporters act like he won a 7 game series 4-0.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-15-2018 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 02:59 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Hardly, I'm an Aerospace Engineer, a very Conservative and intelligent group. I work with people all over the globe, from all backgrounds. Hardly a group of people who cares about what race or country your from. Your catch all, that all "White American conservatives" fit some racist profile is as ridiculus as saying all blacks are responsible for the high numbers of murders in the country.
I'm mostly hitting Trump voters with that comment. I'm guessing your fiscally conservative and socially liberal?

Old 05-15-2018, 03:00 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
I prefer common sense to political correctness.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the main reasons Trump is so popular is that he gives a big middle finger to political correctness. He intentionally spites demographics who aren't his base, be it racial minorities, LGBT, non-Christians, educated people, urban elites, etc. People love that and that is why no matter what Trump does, he continues to remain popular and his support shows no signs of eroding. It comes down to tribalism and Trump is really sticking it to the people that red state America have long considered "deplorable" and they love it. So the question is, why does political correctness bother people so bad? What is so bad about being empathetic to people who may be different from the norm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The mindset of PC is toxic and when it infiltrates societal institutions (police, education, workplaces) it leads to policies that are absolutely disastrous for those who wish to be peaceful, achieve on merit, and remain an individual.
no recess is right, it is toxic to everyone. once you start down the PC path, everyone starts to walk on eggshells around everyone else. in the end political correctness is just another way to control the people through the language, and bypass the first amendment.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:03 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,009 times
It's ironic that in their determination to not be politically correct in terms of the traditional, commonly held sense of things, many folks are now gleefully not politically correct such that their way of thinking and behaving is popular & common enough that in and of itself they are now politically correct.
Think about it: It's now politically correct to not be politically correct.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the main reasons Trump is so popular is that he gives a big middle finger to political correctness. He intentionally spites demographics who aren't his base, be it racial minorities, LGBT, non-Christians, educated people, urban elites, etc. People love that and that is why no matter what Trump does, he continues to remain popular and his support shows no signs of eroding. It comes down to tribalism and Trump is really sticking it to the people that red state America have long considered "deplorable" and they love it. So the question is, why does political correctness bother people so bad? What is so bad about being empathetic to people who may be different from the norm?

Yet, it seems Trump demands others demonstrate PC when referring to him/ family.

Well balanced adults seek to avoid offending others and take no offense. Nothing to do with politics.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:07 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,009 times
Default Why does political corectnes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no recess is right, it is toxic to everyone. once you start down the PC path, everyone starts to walk on eggshells around everyone else. in the end political correctness is just another way to control the people through the language, and bypass the first amendment.
Would your grandparents or Sunday school teachers ever have espoused such the viewpoint you express or did they instead promote the principle of the golden rule?

Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So Hillary needed to refrain from calling a percentage of Trump "deplorables," but Trump doesn't need to refrain from calling women fat cows, "4s," and "ugly inside and out?"

Okay. I guess that make sense. Well, actually, not really. But okay.

I'm also not sure why people think the next Democrat needs to win a single person who voted for Trump. Trump won Michigan by 10,704 votes. A Democratic candidate could make that ground up in Detroit alone. Trump won on a last second Hail Mary in a single elimination format but his supporters act like he won a 7 game series 4-0.
I don’t think either candidate should “play in the mud” that way especially if you want to capture votes. I don’t care and you don’t care but maybe 10k in Michigan care.

So if 10K votes is essentially nothing, which I agree - pissing off any voters at all that make sense??? Well not really.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:18 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I already gave one simple example:

That is not the definition of empathy, compassion, or respect, but it is a by-product of Political Correctness.

That is your opinion, to which you are entitled.

I'm not advocating that kind of thing at all. I don't know many people who do.

Did you read my first comment here? Why must this whole discussion come down to a battle of the extremes: participation trophies for all on one side, merciless taunting of one's alleged enemies on the other?

Like I said, it seems to me that PC and polite have become interchangeable to some, with disastrous results for the level of discourse in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies