Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 03:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Independents make up a huge chunk of the voting block and possibly determine the outcome of an election. Not just votes from either Democrats or Republicans.

But if you want to be like Hillary and insult people who don't support you by calling them "deplorable", you'll lose support.
The real irony (though I think Clinton's words were unfortunate) was that she was referring to a subset of people who you might call the "basket of deplorables."

Why so many Trump supporters decided they were deplorable based on that, I will never understand.

The bottom line is that there are some deplorable Trump supporters. Absolutely.

But, they are, as Clinton indicated, a minority.

Why did people immediately think she was referring to them? Every time I see a "Proud Deplorable" bumper sticker, I assume the person driving the car is a jerk.

Because, why would anyone assume they are deplorable if they are not?

She did not say all or even most of Trump's base belonged in that basket.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:48 PM

10,032 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The real irony (though I think Clinton's words were unfortunate) was that she was referring to a subset of people who you might call the "basket of deplorables."

Why so many Trump supporters decided they were deplorable based on that, I will never understand.

The bottom line is that there are some deplorable Trump supporters. Absolutely.

But, they are, as Clinton indicated, a minority.

Why did people immediately think she was referring to them? Every time I see a "Proud Deplorable" bumper sticker, I assume the person driving the car is a jerk.

Because, why would anyone assume they are deplorable if they are not?

She did not say all or even most of Trump's base belonged in that basket.

She said it was "half" of his supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 03:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
It's okay. Hillary was just being "un-PC."

Old 05-15-2018, 03:50 PM

32,115 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Independents make up a huge chunk of the voting block and possibly determine the outcome of an election. Not just votes from either Democrats or Republicans.
What I am stating is a fact. The next Democratic candidate does *not* need to win a single Trump voter in 2020. A lot of the people who voted for Trump in the Rust Belt won't even be alive by the time 2020 rolls around.

Quote:
But if you want to be like Hillary and insult people who don't support you by calling them "deplorable", you'll lose support.
That's not support Democrats ever had anyway.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
She said it was "half" of his supporters.
Nope. She said they belonged in two baskets. She never said the baskets were of equal size.

She also called out things racists and people who thought feminism was worse than having cancer, so I guess we should assume that anyone who thought she was referring to them is one or both of those types?

I do think it was an unfortunate comment, mostly because it required more explanation than she gave as his supporters just didn't get that if they were not actually deplorable people, she was not referring to them.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 6 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times
Granted, some of PC goes into the bizarre and even in a few extreme cases hateful. But just as the capitalism of a Charles Dickens novel doesn't discredit the capitalist system in general, so it is that the simplistic rhetoric of marginal kooks implying "all whites Christians are bad, all non-whites and/or non-Christians are good" doesn't discredit PC in general.

At the heart of it all, it's simply treating people the way they would want to be treated, so long as they don't hurt or harm or demean others. Part of this does involve seeing that even in people who despise racism, homophobia, etc. some subtle cultural attitudes (or at least stereotypes) about how a person ought to be still remain ("ought" in at least the prediction sense, and sometimes in the 'obligation to fit into our preconceived beliefs about you' sense).

For example, I remember back during the 90s in college I visited another university to get some information about a certain hard to find source, something I found on the internet back then. I walked into that faculty members office and saw a black woman wearing multicolor headscarf. She obviously had professional bearing, yet there was a part of me that thought she was the office administrative assistant. Fortunately, I had the good sense to keep that view to myself, but still thought "If she's the administrative assistant, then how come she is talking to me about this in an obviously professor-like way?". Then, she sat down at the faculty members desk and continued her explanation. Finally, when it came time to thank her and say good bye, I said "That would be 'Doctor ___"?", and she said "Yes". So my question got answered - and with no offense on anybody's part. Life lesson learned during my 20s.

That is 90% or at least 80% of the matter right there. Even in this day and age, a lot of people still get stereotyped about such things. Also, don't presume that "the other" doesn't like "your kind" of recreational activities, books, even music. Or don't presume that "they" wouldn't fit in social scenes you frequent. I mean, just treat them in that regard the same way you'd treat people in your own reference group.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 PM

32,115 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What I am stating is a fact. The next Democratic candidate does *not* need to win a single Trump voter in 2020. A lot of the people who voted for Trump in the Rust Belt won't even be alive by the time 2020 rolls around.
Natural deaths from April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2017

New York - 1,102,746
Pennsylvania - 935,944

Pennsylvania has had nearly as many deaths as New York despite having 7 million fewer people. Trump's base is literally dying off.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:07 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Calling women fat slobs isn't "playing in the mud." You're eating ____ at that point.

My point is that it's a double standard for Democrats. And it makes no sense.
What standard?
The word “deplorable” may have cost her the election.
And I think it says a lot that she couldn’t beat Trump. It says more that she writes a book a year later pointing fingers. And all this revisionist history comes out saying Bernie was the better candidate and he’s not going away either LOL

Old 05-15-2018, 04:09 PM

10,032 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nope. She said they belonged in two baskets. She never said the baskets were of equal size.

She also called out things racists and people who thought feminism was worse than having cancer, so I guess we should assume that anyone who thought she was referring to them is one or both of those types?

I do think it was an unfortunate comment, mostly because it required more explanation than she gave as his supporters just didn't get that if they were not actually deplorable people, she was not referring to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCHJVE9trSM

Old 05-15-2018, 04:10 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,234,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It's okay. Hillary was just being "un-PC."

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies