Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:07 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Lawsuit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:10 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Which one do you think it is?
I think the employee was being stupid. That would be my assumption.

I remember one time, my best friend Mike and i went to The Boiling Crab restaurant in orange county, as soon as he (a white guy) asked for a cracker, the waiter started to smile (in my opinion, for no reasons). The waiter's racial and ethnic identity is not important here. After ten minutes, a waitress came and gave my friend the crab cracker, she asked, "Are you the one who asked for a cracker?" She also smiled (in my opinion, for no reasons.)

I don't think they are racists, I think they are just unprofessional and dumb.

The good thing is that my friend and I can laugh about it. I found this whole thing a little hilarious. (maybe I shouldn't be feeling this way.) He was not offended, but he did say minorities could be just as racists. (I don't disagree.) Do I think the waiter and the waitress were being "racist"? It is hard to say. They have been unprofessional for sure though.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:23 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,034 times
Perhaps in heavily accented English “Peter” sounded like “beaner”.
Why should an employee in a fast paced work environment have to tippy toe around “people of color”?

If recent newcomers are serious about staying here they need to learn to laugh at the little stuff and let slide the things that really don’t matter in the diversity of American society.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Perhaps in heavily accented English “Peter” sounded like “beaner”.
Why should an employee in a fast paced work environment have to tippy toe around “people of color”?

If recent newcomers are serious about staying here they need to learn to laugh at the little stuff and let slide the things that really don’t matter in the diversity of American society.
I gotta agree with this post. I've seen some names totally get butchered at Starbucks before, especially for names that are uncommon. I once had a coworker whos name was "Faz" (short for their full name...Indian origin) and the barista wrote Faz on the cup, but it looked more like a g instead of a z.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Something weird here

One story shows a cold drink with 'Beaner' on it
And then the other stories show a hot drink with 'Beaner' on it.

Starbucks Facing More Racism Allegations After Latino Customer Receives Cup With ‘Beaner’ On The Label « CBS Los Angeles

Starbucks cup calls Hispanic California man a racial slur | The Sacramento Bee

And how come Peter isn't the one on camera?

Old 05-17-2018, 11:43 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I would like to hear that customer say his name (Peter). Peter is not a common name for a Latino, and honestly I could understand if the Starbucks employee misunderstood him because of his heavy Hispanic accent. I also would like to know how busy that Starbucks was at the time of that order.

I watched the tv interview, and the translator's voice covered up what that man's friend was saying in Spanish.

I still don't believe that the Phila. incident was racist. The two men were very obvious that they had no intention of buying anything at Starbucks. And I do think that it's not appropriate to have a business meeting inside a Starbucks cafe without making a purchase.

As to the bathroom thing (mentioned also in the newscast), I believe it correct to have a customers only policy for bathrooms, and that the person who was allowed to use the bathroom before making a purchase was a regular customer that the staff recognized from previous visits.

I've never found any fast food or coffee cafe to be racist. But I understand when they try to keep their real customers happy and them being able to have a seat to sit at or having a clean bathroom to use. And sometimes that means asking non-customers to leave or denying them bathroom privileges.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:46 AM

10,035 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Something weird here

One story shows a cold drink with 'Beaner' on it
And then the other stories show a hot drink with 'Beaner' on it.

Starbucks Facing More Racism Allegations After Latino Customer Receives Cup With ‘Beaner’ On The Label « CBS Los Angeles

Starbucks cup calls Hispanic California man a racial slur | The Sacramento Bee

And how come Peter isn't the one on camera?
According to the article I read, the customer had ordered two drinks.

Just to clarify, the barista may hate hispanics, I don't know but several of the articles mention racism. To be clear, Hispanic is not a race.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Let’s all get our bats and swing away! Wait, Did anybody ask the employee? Perhaps it was a communication problem.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post

Just to clarify, the barista may hate hispanics, I don't know but several of the articles mention racism. To be clear, Hispanic is not a race.
In these 2 articles the customer talks about ONE CUP OF COFFEE.

Something fishy.

And when was the last time -- except for the Starbucks in Target or at a grocery store -- has the person who took the order been the one to make the coffee and call out your name?

Nah -- something fishy here.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:16 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post

If the barista has a problem with Hispanics... then why haven't they left CA already? Especially being Los Angeles, where they are everywhere.

Anyway, I think it very unlikely that a (probably young) barista at a Starbucks in the Los Angeles area is racist against Hispanics.

And because earbuds are commonly used by young people, they can suffer from hearing loss. I really think that the issue was the barista not being able to understand Peter's name because if their heavy accent and not being able to speak English very well. And they heard Beaner instead of Peter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies