Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Where did you grow up, every guy in high school did not have guns when I was growing down south.
I grew up in Colorado and yes, most of the guys hunted or went target shooting.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What age qualifies as older?
40+ probably...

Me, Im 30.
My snacks weren't candy and chips and soda.
I devour fruit like it's going out of style.
My parents would treat my little sister and I with soda once in a while. Mainly water, home brewed Iced Tea and lemonaide. Not the powdered crap you mix in with water either.

Rural upstate NY I could be found all summer-early fall looking for black berry bushes, Raspberry bushes, blueberries, apples, melons, cherries, mulberries, plus whatever exotic fruits were in the grocery store.

Grew up hunting. So aside from your normal grocery store meats, I had wild turkey, venison (deer), duck, pheasant, and occasionally geese. (They're gamey and require a brine otherwise you won't like it)
Then pasta etc...
There were very few times perhaps once every month if that, that we ate at a fast food joint.
Venison and Prime Rib were my favorite. I could live off Venison and Prime Rib.
Pizza was like an emergency type thing... once in a while or if something popped up that would have prevented dinner from being ready...

When I moved out at 20, about the only unhealthy thing I consumed would be beer whiskey vodka...
Even then it wasn't in massive amounts to get falling down drunk. I brewed my own whiskey in my basement, and would brew apple jack in the winter time. Unprocessed cider from the local orchards was more than abundant.

Since moving to Florida the deer down here are tiny and not very meaty. About the size of a black lab. Or a fawn back in NY. So I hunt wild hogs. Particularly in citrus groves. And I do so with an AR15. My girlfriend prefers her AK. We both hunt them. Then we take and field dress them and have BBQ and cut up tender loins, flanks, ribs, etc. They're a nuisance animal. They're smart too. They'll root up around a tree and attack the roots to get a tree to drop fruit. Be it citrus or mangos. Their tusks contain bacteria lethal to cattle and people alike if bitten. And since most of the cattle ranches/farms are beef and milk, most places have natural cattle. No hormones or antibiotics. Gets quite costly if a territorial boar/hog attacks.

Every once in a while, since it is cost prohibited, I'll go out into the country side of central Florida and buy natural beef. No hormones. No anti biotics.
Should the offer be accepted in a couple weeks, I hopefully will have 115 acres to have my own shooting range, have my own land to rip around on dirtbikes and quads that have been sitting in storage fired up occasionally, and have my own cattle chicken and hogs with a few acres worth of fruit trees and vegetables.
Pipe dream, go back to NY take a few bucks and does and bring them down here to hunt.

While it's convienent to be living in suburbia. It isn't for me. It's nice that everything is within walking distance... but no land... having to drive 40-50 miles to be out in the open...
Perfect would be a rural beach front area. That is an impossible location to find...

I miss living miles away from everything. Not having acreage to play on sucks.
Used to be work 5-6 days. Sleep in on Sunday. Drive half an hour to go grocery shopping, get stuff for the house, maybe go out to the Hudson River go striper bass fishing or just rip around on a jetski. Hop on a quad or dirt bike with friends and go ride for miles up in the woods into MA CT or even Vermont. Same with the winter months only replace quad with snowmobile.

Kinda grew up like a northern version of Duck Dynasty. Minus the whole church thing.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
What does that have to do with anything ? It isn't like they are walking around waiting to get picked up. One still has to buy one or steal one, just like 30 years ago.
Plus there were a hell of a lot less people 70 years ago. The % of ownership to total population is less now than at any period since WW2.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Tx Governor: " Unlike Parkland, there were no warning signs or criminal history".

An honor roll student, member of football team and the folk dancer at his church.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
Gun laws are certainly more strict than they were 40 years ago--when they are enforced. I would say that since these types of events didn't happen often at all back then that something serious and complicated is affecting the mental health of people in the present day.

We can speculate forever about what is causing this, but this violence has risen to the level of an emergency. Banning certain types of weapons is something we can do quickly as an emergency measure that we know has been effective in other countries.

I guess you can think of it like martial law. If we ever figure out why so many people are going mad and killing each other then perhaps we can lift restrictions one day -- as unlikely as that will be.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
"Because it's lot harder to go on a random mass killing spree with pipe bombs, for obvious reasons."

Not sure where this comes from. The kid in Texas just went on a mass killing spree with pipe bombs. Why is it harder? It is Pipe bombs kill more people at a time. Lots of things are easier to kill people with than guns, cars for example.

"Except no one wants to ban guns. Almost all reasonable people want common-sense regulation. Until we have normal laws like the rest of the civilized world, the massacres will continue."

Well off we go into the distraction world again. Why are you doing this? Is someone paying you to direct focus away from the problem or are you just doing it because for some reason you think it is a good idea? Psychotic kids killing others, killing themselves that is the problem. Guns, cars brake, fluid, swords, it does not matter what they use it is the desire for death that we need to focus on. Please stop trying to extend the problem by keeping attention away from it. Forget your politics, forget mantras and facebook memes, forget the paycheck if there is one. Kid are dying. Please stop getting in the way of finding a cause and a solution.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Sad, but nothing will change. I feel for the families affected by this, and I feel for the families who will have to face this in the future. I really don't know of what else can be said, that hasn't been said, it's gotten so common place that the talking points from all sides seem to be the same. It's simply a matter of wash, rinse, repeat, and that's a pretty crappy thing to have gotten so meh about.

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What age qualifies as older?
I think in this case about 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So you think that these problems didn't exist years ago? How do you explain school shootings in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's?

And I don't think that a great majority of these school shooters are mentally ill.
There were so few before 1990 they will hardly show on a graph compared to after.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:42 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
evil murderer.

there are no rational reasons for irrational acts.

some people are just evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies