Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:49 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Don't worry, your guns will always be safe. As more children die. That's the new normal.
Yep. Too many "gun owners" are actually owned BY their guns. They'll glad vote themselves into poverty and their neighbors into a grave if it protects their silly arsenals. They then spend all day dreaming about "revolution against the evil government" - while supporting a tyrant wanna-be in Trump.

It's insane, and mark my words - if true tyranny ever does come to America, it'll be the gun lovers and far-right who vote him into office, and I'd bet that "protecting your guns" will be one of the tyrant's promises. Never mind how utterly useless they'll be against actual tyranny. Unfortunately, too many people think it'll end like the American Revolution or the latest Hollywood movie; they need only look around the world to see the actual endgame scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 11:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
So, to be clear, if some nut wants to "take away everyone's guns," that's bad, but the even more dangerous extremists who want "guns for all, no questions asked," are to be seen as heroes? Laughable lunacy.
Why do they want 'guns for all' though...think about that? Its because they feel that would be the best solution to the problem, more people nearby to respond with force if needed.

It may not be perfect, but having lots of armed civilians is the best defense against tyranny taking hold, the founding fathers knew this and included protections for firearms. Govt/law enforcement needs to be a little fearful of what the people MAY do, thats the point, to keep them from becoming what they are today (tyrannical)!!

Do you honestly think our govt would be creating crazy laws and regulations (like the war on drugs), if civilians were equally armed as the US armed forces? OF course not! They would be scared of what the people MIGHT DO.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:59 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Yep. Too many "gun owners" are actually owned BY their guns. They'll glad vote themselves into poverty and their neighbors into a grave if it protects their silly arsenals. They then spend all day dreaming about "revolution against the evil government" - while supporting a tyrant wanna-be in Trump.

It's insane, and mark my words - if true tyranny ever does come to America, it'll be the gun lovers and far-right who vote him into office, and I'd bet that "protecting your guns" will be one of the tyrant's promises. Never mind how utterly useless they'll be against actual tyranny. Unfortunately, too many people think it'll end like the American Revolution or the latest Hollywood movie; they need only look around the world to see the actual endgame scenario.
I'm failing to understand your logic.

You go as far to say that Trump is a tyrant...
Yet hold the opinion that more gun control is necessary for when a tyrant is in power?

I'm baffled. Have you skipped world history when you were in highschool?
What has every tyrant done when they took power?
Stalin. Mao. Pol Pot. Castro. Che. Hitler.
They took guns with the disguise of a public safety utopia promise. Only police and military will have them.

As for weapons being useless against tyranny, how would they be useless?

Old 05-20-2018, 12:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why do they want 'guns for all' though...think about that? Its because they feel that would be the best solution to the problem, more people nearby to respond with force if needed.

It may not be perfect, but having lots of armed civilians is the best defense against tyranny taking hold, the founding fathers knew this and included protections for firearms. Govt/law enforcement needs to be a little fearful of what the people MAY do, thats the point, to keep them from becoming what they are today (tyrannical)!!

Do you honestly think our govt would be creating crazy laws and regulations (like the war on drugs), if civilians were equally armed as the US armed forces? OF course not! They would be scared of what the people MIGHT DO.
Do you honestly think:

- A bunch of armed citizens poses any real threat to the US military?

- The average rage-filled citizen who uses the word "revolution" as code for "killing people I don't like and not paying taxes" is qualified to lead anything?

Look at the ignorance you see around here in so many posts - the rage, fact-free blather, and often obvious bigotry. Now, look at all the nuts on the road who can't be trusted with a car. Those are the people who the far-right is wanting to arm when they spout off about "guns for all, no questions asked."

No, those people are NOT qualified for much of anything that involves responsibility, empathy, justice, or potential harm to others.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Do you honestly think:

- A bunch of armed citizens poses any real threat to the US military?.
Yes. In the "hypothetical" revolution against tyranny, you have to realize, the military is bound to rules of engagement. We The people, are not.
Look at every engagement with forces from Vietnam to Taliban to ISIS.

Our military isn't trained to fight asymmetrical warfare. Our special forces are however.
They are trained to fight opposing armies.

What have insurgency forces done in Iraq and Afghanistan? I take it you don't have highschool friends who were over there. I do.
They would fire from a crowd called, crowd hugging. To provoke return fire to have the media on the ground aid in their "jihad" to paint US forces as evil women and children killers.
Ambushes, Improvised explosives, you name it. Sometimes, it was only 2 gun men firing from a crowd upon a convoy. Once the crowd cleared they were cleared to engage.
In afghanistan, the insurgent forces had home field advantage. With night vision, flirting, etc, the best latest and greatest equipment to be fielded, and still they were pushed around until an air strike or artillery came in.

There are places, so remote in even upstate NY that tanks can't traverse. Engagements would need to be on the ground and from the air.

Do you really think, the military is going to wipe out billions, trillions in infrastructure with artillery and mortar teams? Strafe towns cities villages with A10s and fighter/bombers? Drop MOABS? JDAMS? No way... those are for utter destruction....

Mind you, 19 trillion in debt... the fact many in the military would not go through with it and have a coup...

Guess you forgot about how many armed veterans showed up to the Bundy Ranch...

Quote:
- The average rage-filled citizen who uses the word "revolution" as code for "killing people I don't like and not paying taxes" is qualified to lead anything?.
Where do you get rage filled from people willing to defend civil liberties?
Would other civil rights activists be considered extremists? Take the pink hat crowd.
They're rage filled.
Inauguration day ring a bell? Rioting, limo burnt, Windows smashed?

Quote:
Look at the ignorance you see around here in so many posts - the rage, fact-free blather, and often obvious bigotry.
Oh like Trump is a tyrant?
Straight, white males suffer toxic masculinity?
The firearm experts who insist hunting rifles are some how safer than AR15s when in fact the opposite is true...
Simple physics and knowledge of what a 30-06 and other popular hunting rounds construction will counter the whole, AR15s are oh so powerful and evil...

Quote:
Now, look at all the nuts on the road who can't be trusted with a car. Those are the people who the far-right is wanting to arm when they spout off about "guns for all, no questions asked."

No, those people are NOT qualified for much of anything that involves responsibility, empathy, justice, or potential harm to others.
Nuts on the road....

You mean the idiots who put make up on driving to work, the idiots who can't go 5 seconds without uploading a selfie to social media, because narcissistie is too difficult to spell? The idiots who can't go 5 minutes without texting? The idiots who can't drive without ABS traction control and stability control and once inclement weather strikes those fancy low profile 20 inch tires lose all traction and wind up in a ditch or worse? Those would be your cityiots, and my and younger generations who love that 1st amendment so much, they're willing to risk their lives and the lives of others to do social media updates and texting while driving...

Old 05-20-2018, 12:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think:

- A bunch of armed citizens poses any real threat to the US military?
If they were on equal grounds (weaponry) with the military, Yes, I do think they could put up a pretty good fight, but its really more about the threat than actually carrying it out. the threat of so many civilians being so well armed/equipped, is the best defense against tyranny, however, to sort of get around this today, it comes down to recognizing tyranny as tyranny. Its being disguised as safety/ security to make it tougher to distinguish, people are confused.

Look at the level of security around govt buildings today for proof of that...just imagine if everyone had access to military grade firepower!!!

Besides that, look at how well the fighters in Afghanistan and vietnam did against the mighty US military!

Old 05-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If they were on equal grounds (weaponry) with the military, Yes, I do think they could put up a pretty good fight, but its really more about the threat than actually carrying it out. the threat of so many civilians being so well armed/equipped, is the best defense against tyranny, however, to sort of get around this today, it comes down to recognizing tyranny as tyranny. Its being disguised as safety/ security to make it tougher to distinguish, people are confused.

Look at the level of security around govt buildings today for proof of that...just imagine if everyone had access to military grade firepower!!!

Besides that, look at how well the fighters in Afghanistan and vietnam did against the mighty US military!
I've come to the conclusion that many progressive posters here, (and I usually am right) have this false sense of security about them.

I'm willing to bet, 90% of them never lived nor grew up in a rural area.
At 30 I have twice the life expirience they have at 60/70.

For them, they're comfortable in their suburban towns or cities. They're used to a 9/11 response time of 2-5 maybe 10 minutes.
Maybe even live in well groomed HOAs.
Take public services for granted. Such as plowed roads in the winter. Garbage collection. The ability to walk here there and everywhere.

However.

They didn't live way out in the middle of nowhere.
911 response time on average of 27 minutes.
Traverse mountainous roads that weren't plowed with snow drifts as high as 2-3 feet.
Never hunted for food.
Had no choice but to roll their sleeves up and fix something themselves because of a lack of services. Having to actually figure stuff out on their own and solve their own problems...
Like fixing a car/truck in their driveway.
Bandaging a wound, not a scrape or paper cut either. Having to actually stop profuse bleeding from say an angle grinder biting them, a nasty gash from some rusty steel, a wicked burn from welding slag or oxygen acetylene torch.
Setting a sprain or fracture in a splint. Then driving half an hour to the emergency room.
Having the power go out in a storm oh God life as they know it would end.
For me, it's 10 below 0 outside. Strong wind gusts, with a windchill factor of -30.

Go get the generator running and wire up the well pump direct to prevent pipes from freezing and breaking in the basement. And to get the furnace back up and running because even with the thermostat set to 80 the warmest it gets is 40 degrees.
Shoot a deer and dress it properly so meat isn't contaminated by a punctured bowel/bladder. Then drag said deer hundreds of yards through 2-3 feet of snow.

No such thing as traction control, ABS, Stability Control in an old 80s carbureted pickup truck. Boss says you need to be at work on time whether it snows or not.
Oh a tree uprooted in the storm and fell in the driveway? Don't have a winch on the truck? Better grab the chainsaw and some tow chain move it aside and handle it when you get home.

Roof sagging and don't have the funds to hire a contractor? Put in for a week's worth of vacation run to your buddies lumber yard and buy rough cut oak to save money, get a dumpster dropped to throw the old shingles and paper in, take the plywood and trusses have a bon fire.

They take their comforts for granted and believe that's how life should be for all.
Nah. Pound sand.

Liberty is a dangerous concept to them for some strange reason.

If you don't comply or conform you're a knuckle dragging troglodyte a trumpling a racist a sexist a homophobe a xenophobe insert whatever else immature insult you can and hope it sticks, for not agreeing nor willing to conform to their ideology.
And if you don't use emotions as a base to debate you're a cold blooded cruel NRA supporter that believes your guns are more valuable than children's lives, as they champion for abortion...
Which makes me laugh every time a debate comes up on these types of things...

It's "Oh the government needs to fix this"

No lemmings... the government holds accountability by legislating progressive values into society... don't you get it?

Divorce rates-high
Can't "**** shame" you sexist bigot, as single parent house holds rise.
Can't cuff your kid upside the head for being an obnoxious or cruel little heathen, that's child abuse, grounds for CPS to confiscate them to be put in foster care system.
Kids can't defend themselves from bullies with 0 tolerance policy enacted. If they do, they get charges pressed against them and face worse punishments than their aggressor in some cases.
It breeds a victim hood mentality of hopelessness and helplessness.
Parents don't parent any more. It's easier to gather at the stepford wives table to talk about little Johnny and Suzy like they're perfect angels and chalk their behavior up as some sort of new trendy disorder that warrants psychotropic medications as if it's some sort of competition or points award system to see who's kid is on the most meds.
Never mind being a parent to them and discipline them though... God forbid you communicate with, and do things with them... just dump some pills down their throat, prop them up with a video game and Internet capable devices and cell phones...

And yet...

Despite all of the above...

You have the nerve to call on government to fix a problem that it helped to create?

And its gun owners and NRA members who are responsible?

Well I'll be that boogey man for the LOLs then.
I've been called worse by better than the likes of a bunch of emotional hyperbolic lemmings who refuse to acknowledge the fact that it is individuals and their Motives, Incentives, Intent, and Enabling outliers that are out doing these heinous atrocities.

If you lemmings would listen rather than be so short sighted on going after firearms, you'd help get something accomplished. But you don't. The solutions are easy, they transcend most of what you believe is the only way to do things, or that you know to be true...

So when you're done being hyper hysterical brats get your insults and ignorance slung around let's talk.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:29 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,221,309 times
If you took every gun in America and dumped them into the ocean, then these kids would be killing each other with knives, baseball bats, bombs, etc.

I'm 57 and school was a long time ago for me, but geez. We never had anything like what's going on in the nation's schools nowadays. So what's up with these kids? Not enough attention from mommy and daddy?

Old 05-20-2018, 01:41 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that many progressive posters here, (and I usually am right) have this false sense of security about them.

I'm willing to bet, 90% of them never lived nor grew up in a rural area.
At 30 I have twice the life expirience they have at 60/70.

For them, they're comfortable in their suburban towns or cities. They're used to a 9/11 response time of 2-5 maybe 10 minutes.
Maybe even live in well groomed HOAs.
Take public services for granted. Such as plowed roads in the winter. Garbage collection. The ability to walk here there and everywhere.

However.

They didn't live way out in the middle of nowhere.
911 response time on average of 27 minutes.
Traverse mountainous roads that weren't plowed with snow drifts as high as 2-3 feet.
Never hunted for food.
Had no choice but to roll their sleeves up and fix something themselves because of a lack of services. Having to actually figure stuff out on their own and solve their own problems...
Like fixing a car/truck in their driveway.
Bandaging a wound, not a scrape or paper cut either. Having to actually stop profuse bleeding from say an angle grinder biting them, a nasty gash from some rusty steel, a wicked burn from welding slag or oxygen acetylene torch.
Setting a sprain or fracture in a splint. Then driving half an hour to the emergency room.
Having the power go out in a storm oh God life as they know it would end.
For me, it's 10 below 0 outside. Strong wind gusts, with a windchill factor of -30.

Go get the generator running and wire up the well pump direct to prevent pipes from freezing and breaking in the basement. And to get the furnace back up and running because even with the thermostat set to 80 the warmest it gets is 40 degrees.
Shoot a deer and dress it properly so meat isn't contaminated by a punctured bowel/bladder. Then drag said deer hundreds of yards through 2-3 feet of snow.

No such thing as traction control, ABS, Stability Control in an old 80s carbureted pickup truck. Boss says you need to be at work on time whether it snows or not.
Oh a tree uprooted in the storm and fell in the driveway? Don't have a winch on the truck? Better grab the chainsaw and some tow chain move it aside and handle it when you get home.

Roof sagging and don't have the funds to hire a contractor? Put in for a week's worth of vacation run to your buddies lumber yard and buy rough cut oak to save money, get a dumpster dropped to throw the old shingles and paper in, take the plywood and trusses have a bon fire.

They take their comforts for granted and believe that's how life should be for all.
Nah. Pound sand.

Liberty is a dangerous concept to them for some strange reason.

If you don't comply or conform you're a knuckle dragging troglodyte a trumpling a racist a sexist a homophobe a xenophobe insert whatever else immature insult you can and hope it sticks, for not agreeing nor willing to conform to their ideology.
And if you don't use emotions as a base to debate you're a cold blooded cruel NRA supporter that believes your guns are more valuable than children's lives, as they champion for abortion...
Which makes me laugh every time a debate comes up on these types of things...

It's "Oh the government needs to fix this"

No lemmings... the government holds accountability by legislating progressive values into society... don't you get it?

Divorce rates-high
Can't "**** shame" you sexist bigot, as single parent house holds rise.
Can't cuff your kid upside the head for being an obnoxious or cruel little heathen, that's child abuse, grounds for CPS to confiscate them to be put in foster care system.
Kids can't defend themselves from bullies with 0 tolerance policy enacted. If they do, they get charges pressed against them and face worse punishments than their aggressor in some cases.
It breeds a victim hood mentality of hopelessness and helplessness.
Parents don't parent any more. It's easier to gather at the stepford wives table to talk about little Johnny and Suzy like they're perfect angels and chalk their behavior up as some sort of new trendy disorder that warrants psychotropic medications as if it's some sort of competition or points award system to see who's kid is on the most meds.
Never mind being a parent to them and discipline them though... God forbid you communicate with, and do things with them... just dump some pills down their throat, prop them up with a video game and Internet capable devices and cell phones...

And yet...

Despite all of the above...

You have the nerve to call on government to fix a problem that it helped to create?

And its gun owners and NRA members who are responsible?

Well I'll be that boogey man for the LOLs then.
I've been called worse by better than the likes of a bunch of emotional hyperbolic lemmings who refuse to acknowledge the fact that it is individuals and their Motives, Incentives, Intent, and Enabling outliers that are out doing these heinous atrocities.

If you lemmings would listen rather than be so short sighted on going after firearms, you'd help get something accomplished. But you don't. The solutions are easy, they transcend most of what you believe is the only way to do things, or that you know to be true...

So when you're done being hyper hysterical brats get your insults and ignorance slung around let's talk.
You and I grew up in similar situations, apparently. Also, I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head with this post re: the different mindset between rural and suburban lifestyles and how it affects the way you approach life in general.

I'll gladly join you in being the boogeyman for the citified crowd that doesn't understand self-reliance.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You and I grew up in similar situations, apparently. Also, I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head with this post re: the different mindset between rural and suburban lifestyles and how it affects the way you approach life in general.

I'll gladly join you in being the boogeyman for the citified crowd that doesn't understand self-reliance.
There's also one thing I left out in there.

That is the gun free school act.

All of the problems we see today, are entirely related to things that passed when I was a kid in the 90s.

What's odd, the politicians they screech to and email/call, politicians demanding the kids be protected and as safe as they are inside the halls of congress, those congress critters enjoy the protections of...

Armed guards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies