Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:42 AM

208 posts, read 819,800 times

Advertisements

I've read news articles about people losing their jobs over things that they've posted online, and read how certain sites have censored users. I am definitely not an expert, but I want to make sure that I understand this, so please help me out.

The Government shall not make laws to prohibit our free speech, correct? I should be able to criticize whomever, doesn't matter if they are private citizens or public officials. I can call them a dirty whatever, but I can't threaten them with harm. I don't have the right to post to city-data, youtube, or somewhere else, if they don't like what I have to say (write), they can remove it, but the government cannot impose laws or imprison me for saying or writing criticizing statements.

Now, I'm not entitled to a job, so if I post something online, and my manager doesn't like it, they can fire me correct? If I hire someone to clean my yard, but I saw that they posted something that I didn't like, I can fire them, correct?

You can say what you want (non-threatening), you have that right, and the government can't interfere, but your employer can fire you, and websites can block you? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:48 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
People, mainly conservatives, just don't understand what free speech means. You are absolutely correct in saying that free speech means the government cannot stop you from speaking and can make no laws that do stop you as long as you are nt making threats to individuals. Free speech has nothing to do with the consequences of speaking stupidly and showing the world how stupid, bigoted, or racist you actually are. Thus companies that you work for can fire you for your stupid, bigoted, or racist speeches, tweets, or facebook posts.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
No, not missing a thing.

Double standards all the way. Look at the way Obama and his thugs are treated vs. Trump or how rappers are treated compared to Rosanne. No one said life is fair, we just need to learn to work our own way through the world for the duration.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:54 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
sounds to me like you got it. the government cannot do anything to you if you criticize them, or peacefully protest them,as long as you follow the laws regarding the protest itself, IE getting the proper permits for where you want the protest, the time of the protest, etc. also you cannot block access to what ever you are protesting. for instance lets say you want to protest the cops for what you think is brutality, you cannot block the comings and goings, or otherwise interfere with the cops doing their duties.

but while you can say what you want about your employer, your employer can retaliate by punishing you if what you say harms the company, even if you are off duty.

also you can say anything you like about another person, but they can also retaliate legally against you if what you say is slander or libel. if you speak the truth, you have the protection of the truth.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:02 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
I've read news articles about people losing their jobs over things that they've posted online, and read how certain sites have censored users. I am definitely not an expert, but I want to make sure that I understand this, so please help me out.

The Government shall not make laws to prohibit our free speech, correct? I should be able to criticize whomever, doesn't matter if they are private citizens or public officials. I can call them a dirty whatever, but I can't threaten them with harm. I don't have the right to post to city-data, youtube, or somewhere else, if they don't like what I have to say (write), they can remove it, but the government cannot impose laws or imprison me for saying or writing criticizing statements.

Now, I'm not entitled to a job, so if I post something online, and my manager doesn't like it, they can fire me correct? If I hire someone to clean my yard, but I saw that they posted something that I didn't like, I can fire them, correct?

You can say what you want (non-threatening), you have that right, and the government can't interfere, but your employer can fire you, and websites can block you? Am I missing something?
Good summation. Only the government can violate 1A. If the company is not a government entity, they can do whatever is best for their business.

It also helps if you don't make racist jokes when your boss is a different race than you.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:03 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
It is, of course, correct that the First Amendment refers to the Government restricting speech by American citizens.

Now, Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, urged the National Football League to punish football players that 'take a knee' during the playing of the National Anthem.

Here is a handy link referencing what Mr. Trump has said.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/24/1...m-donald-trump

I would submit that President Trump is 'the Government'.

I would also submit that the President urging a private company to 'fire' players if said players engage in 'speech' would be prohibited by the First Amendment.

In other words, the "Government" was restricting the speech of American Citizens by proxy.

So, if we all agree that the government may not restrict speech, can we also agree that the government cannot wield its power to make private companies restrict the speech of others?

Old 05-30-2018, 11:06 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It is, of course, correct that the First Amendment refers to the Government restricting speech by American citizens.

Now, Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, urged the National Football League to punish football players that 'take a knee' during the playing of the National Anthem.

I would also submit that the President urging a private company to 'fire' players if said players engage in 'speech' would be prohibited by the First Amendment.

In other words, the "Government" was restricting the speech of American Citizens by proxy.

So, if we all agree that the government may not restrict speech, can we also agree that the government cannot wield its power to make private companies restrict the speech of others?
He gave his opinion. He isn't making anyone do anything.

Stretch Armstrong ain't got nothing on you.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

so what you are saying is that no one in government has free speech rights? does this mean that once someone becomes a government official their rights no longer exist until such time as they leave government?

sorry my friend it doesnt work that way, fortunately. trump can say what ever he wants, and he can even encourage certain behaviors, but others dont have to listen to him or follow his advice.

take the kneeling issue for instance, trump can say everything he said, the team owners can tell him to F@#$ off anytime they choose. you cannot muzzle someone just because they become president and you dont like the things they say.

remember the president cannot make laws, only congress can, and congress is prevented from making laws regarding freedom of speech, etc.

obama, in fact pretty much all presidents, said things i didnt like, but while i disagreed with them, i never called for limiting their free speech rights.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:13 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
This captures it pretty simply.
https://xkcd.com/1357/

Old 05-30-2018, 11:16 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so what you are saying is that no one in government has free speech rights? does this mean that once someone becomes a government official their rights no longer exist until such time as they leave government?

sorry my friend it doesnt work that way, fortunately. trump can say what ever he wants, and he can even encourage certain behaviors, but others dont have to listen to him or follow his advice.

take the kneeling issue for instance, trump can say everything he said, the team owners can tell him to F@#$ off anytime they choose. you cannot muzzle someone just because they become president and you dont like the things they say.

remember the president cannot make laws, only congress can, and congress is prevented from making laws regarding freedom of speech, etc.

obama, in fact pretty much all presidents, said things i didnt like, but while i disagreed with them, i never called for limiting their free speech rights.

Your lack of understanding of my point is appalling.

Ah, well. I did not expect much in the way of responses, and I have not been disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies