Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 07:33 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It wasn't about that so stop lying. The ruling was about the Colorado Civil Rights ruling and NOT that he could or couldn't discriminate based on religious convictions and will only lead to further lawsuits due to their punt.

by which time a few more Gorsuch strict Constitutionalists will be replacing the lefties left, since they are so, so, so elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:41 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
There's a lot of talk about it these days. Do you live in the Deep South? After same-sex marriage was legalized there was a lot of talk about civil war. Fact is if they are talking about it, deep down there is a hunger for it. It's just a matter of what will push them over the edge. The Trump era has really shown that evangelical rage is a very real thing and a force to be reckoned with.
You are absurd. This is absurd.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:58 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
You are absurd. This is absurd.
That's putting it nicely.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:59 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I think you've made your complete intolerance toward religion abundantly clear here.

It shouldn't come as any surprise to you that you are not the only intolerant person in the nation. Your intolerance toward religion does not supercede an individual's right to their opinions of homosexuality. Just remember that the next time you're spouting off about someone else spouting off. You being gay isn't more righteous than someone being religious.
You've missed my point completely. I am not intolerant towards religion. Everyone has the right to believe in any God or gods they want, and I don't care one bit what God other people believe in. But I am intolerant toward people using their religion as a weapon to discriminate against other people, whether it be blacks, women, gays, Hispanics, disabled people, or anyone different from oneself, then say God is who is telling them to discriminate.

You want to discriminate? Fine. At least man up and admit it's you being the jackass, not God. I have several Christian friends and relatives in my life, and they are loving, caring people; people who try to live life according to the Bible; in other words, people worthy of the term Christian.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
People keep talking about "sincerely held religious beliefs" as if a real person was being defended. What the SC is defending is mythology: the right for a person to discriminate towards other PEOPLE based on his stated belief in myths. The Supreme Court thinks criticism of religion is worse than actual prejudice towards gays.
What actual prejudice? The baker offered to sell them products that did not violate his beliefs.

This was an intolerant post btw towards religious people. Your lack of belief does not make their beliefs myths.

This SC has been superb, case after case, in 2018.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The deep, seething hatred most people these days have towards the LGBT community is on full display here. Three years after the SCOTUS ruling legalizing same-sex marriage, hate and rage against anybody not white, straight, and Christian has completely taken over this country.

The one silver lining is I was legitimately worried about a violent uprising among evangelicals if the court ruled in favor of the couple.
I'm sorry, but this is completely ridiculous. Most evangelicals have no problem with people living their life however they want. We don't agree with nudist camps or swinger clubs, but you don't hear us protesting against them. Why? Because they are not trying to shove their lifestyle down our throats the way the gay community is doing here.

The Colorado baker had his business damaged and lost a lot of money. The gay couple was only mildly inconvenienced. But no, how dare someone not embrace their lifestyle with open arms. They wanted the Christian to pay and pay dearly. That's how I see it.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is completely ridiculous. Most evangelicals have no problem with people living their life however they want. We don't agree with nudist camps or swinger clubs, but you don't hear us protesting against them. Why? Because they are not trying to shove their lifestyle down our throats the way the gay community is doing here.

The Colorado baker had his business damaged and lost a lot of money. The gay couple was only mildly inconvenienced. But no, how dare someone not embrace their lifestyle with open arms. They wanted the Christian to pay and pay dearly. That's how I see it.

amen.

They wanted to pick a public fight to promote their agenda, and they lost royally.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:12 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I’m trying to think of a major piece of civil liberty granted through a 5-4 SCOTUS decision that was later reversed. Miranda is the biggest civil rights case recently that was 5-4, and we all know that isn’t reversed. The problem with fanatics fantasizing about reversal of Obergefell is that they fail to grasp an important idea: once a liberty is recognized, it is actually quite difficult un-recognize that right. Same-sex marriage is not going anywhere, and some people just have to accept this reality and move on.
An example of a 5-4 that was overturned was Logan v. Marsh, which enshrined the right to picket or otherwise protest in shopping centers or other private property. 5-4's might not be reversed very often but they are very prone to being confined to their narrow facts. Certainly they are rarely extended.

Also 5-4's have a way of being narrowly construed or even mocked by lower courts. Do you really think Miranda is observed? In the real world the police read the warnings and often convince a suspect it is in his interest to talk. Or get him to talk at a point that he is allegedly not a suspect; but really is. Escobedo and Gideon are much more widely observed since people do believe in the right to counsel. People don't believe that the police should be handcuffed.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You've missed my point completely. I am not intolerant towards religion. Everyone has the right to believe in any God or gods they want, and I don't care one bit what God other people believe in. But I am intolerant toward people using their religion as a weapon to discriminate against other people, whether it be blacks, women, gays, Hispanics, disabled people, or anyone different from oneself, then say God is who is telling them to discriminate.

You want to discriminate? Fine. At least man up and admit it's you being the jackass, not God. I have several Christian friends and relatives in my life, and they are loving, caring people; people who try to live life according to the Bible; in other words, people worthy of the term Christian.
That is so Very Well said.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post

The SCOTUS agreed..and now the case goes back to the commission for further review and a new ruling--don't be surprised if the ruling goes against the baker..you know how much petty bureaucrats love being overturned!
Doubt it. SC set up a nice lawsuit against the anti religion Colorado bigot on the commission already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies