Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 PM

1,081 posts, read 549,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
We seem to have more armed robbers and intruders than they do in first tier countries. Why is that?
This should be an easy one to answer.
Whether armed with a knife, machete, or bludgeoning device, your life is equally at risk as when they have a firearm.

Do you have facts to back up that "we" have more armed robbers (with any weapon) than other first tier countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 12:46 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
"These boys need their father and need some type of discipline. They're out here without any fear," the homeowner said. He said he did regret the loss of life, but "it was either me or them."

Homeowner shoots, kills 2 burglars with AK-47 - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL
You tell the police this is my home, they broke in, I would like to speak to an attorney before I speak to you any further.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:49 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Obama, their own leftist hero, signed an executive order to do a CDC study on gun violence. The results did not go their way.

Apparently gun grabbers are still too stupid to accept the facts as they wet themselves in their emotional outbursts.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...rime-deterrent
The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the results of their research through the CDC last month. Researchers compiled data from previous studies in order to guide future research on gun violence, noting that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year.”

The report expresses uncertainty about gun control measures, stating that “whether gun restrictions reduce firearm-related violence is an unresolved issue,” and that there is no evidence “that passage of right-to-carry laws decrease or increase violence crime.” It also stated that proposed “gun turn-in programs are ineffective.”

Old 06-04-2018, 01:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Briefly detained and released, not arrested and no charges.

What is your definition of a good guy?
One who doesn't have shoot outs at his house --- the casual comment that this has happened before -- meh -- suggests there might be something more to his just defending himself against random intruders.

Being worried about family retaliation -- meh -- again -- something suggests this isn't a random crime.

If I come home and see someone ransacking my house -- first step -- call 911. Honestly -- any of you smart gun owners -- would you just walk in to a house being robbed without a gun in hand -- thinking -- if I can just get to the closet. NO!!!!!

There is so much more to this story.

I just think that folks might want to be a little more discerning about trying to find examples where a good guy with a gun saved himself and his friends from danger.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:28 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
'legal machine guns' being the key word there, says nothing about how many illegal, full auto AK47s are out there, or coming in regularly.

NOTHING so mass produced is going to be 20K+, I dont care whether its legal or not. The handful of people I know that have them, didnt pay anywhere close to that, they were acquired thru 'private sales' (under $1000.)

Full auto AKs are more common than most people think in rural areas.

Umm, you're kinda wrong. Any full auto AK that is legally transferred is going to run about $20k+. There are a finite amount of them and that is what makes the price so high. I'd be willing to bet you a ham sandwich that most of the AKs acquired for under $1000 are semi-auto. As far as rural areas go, AKs are not really that common in a full auto configuration. And anyone who keeps an illegally-owned full-auto AK isn't going to go around telling you about it. That's the kind of thing you don't even tell your wife and kids about.

Transferable automatics are stupid expensive compared to non-transferable, dealer samples or illegal versions. A transferaable MP5 is big money. One is up for auction, currently sitting just under $28,000. A post-86 dealer sample, buy it now for $3,250. Current sale price for a Chinese AK, $30,000 for a transferable piece. Can't find a post-86 piece. Semi-autos, up to $2000.

So, yeah. Something so mass produced can, and does, sell for that much.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:32 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The report noted that his house was shot up less than a year ago. This is almost certainly gang/drug beef.
Or he could be somebody who informed on criminal activity to the police. Members of their criminal enterprise may have been arrested as a result. Criminals have a pretty passionate dislike for such folks. It could be that they got the wrong house. It could be a lot of things.

We do know that he acted in self defense and that's the real point here. He was able to save his own life because he was armed.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Sh*t reminds of a episode on Seinfeld where the mechanic ate George 's candybar. He had Twix crumbs all over his shirt but George still couldn't prove it cause he didn't see him eat it. Lol
Seinfeld references are always a good thing, and usually prove a point and help clarify the situation.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:41 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,948,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
One who doesn't have shoot outs at his house --- the casual comment that this has happened before -- meh -- suggests there might be something more to his just defending himself against random intruders.

Being worried about family retaliation -- meh -- again -- something suggests this isn't a random crime.

If I come home and see someone ransacking my house -- first step -- call 911. Honestly -- any of you smart gun owners -- would you just walk in to a house being robbed without a gun in hand -- thinking -- if I can just get to the closet. NO!!!!!

I just think that folks might want to be a little more discerning about trying to find examples where a good guy with a gun saved himself and his friends from danger.
The fact that his house was previously the target of a drive by shooting does not in any way make him a criminal.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The fact that his house was previously the target of a drive by shooting does not in any way make him a criminal.
They didn't say it was a drive by shooting before.

And as someone pointed out -- he wasn't maybe a criminal YET but this guy isn't leading the good life for sure.

There was a neighbor that expressed concern about the shootings -- as if this was not common for the rest of the community -- just this guy.

MEH --- more to this story.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:53 PM

814 posts, read 760,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Probably something he needed to get to before polic3 show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies