Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 08:58 AM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Paper mail in ballots in Oregon work great. I can sit at my kitchen table, fill out the ballot as leisurely as I want to, and either drop it off at a local collection site or mail it off. Much easier then waiting in line at a precinct and using one of those stupid machines!
We had paper ballots at one time, until the butterfly ballot in Florida fiasco happened and the democrats pushed for the electronic voting systems. Remember the "hanging chad"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 09:02 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
There's a big difference between Midwestern liberals and what you call progressive. Midwestern liberals tend to support gun rights, Christianity, privacy, freedom of speech, border enforcement, America first trade policy, the middle and working classes. What the left calls progressive is in direct conflict with nearly all of those values. Progressives want all guns confiscated as their ultimate goal, hate Christianity and openly bash/target Christians whenever possible, support govt surveillance, targeting of political opposition, silencing political opposition via censorship, intimidation and violence, support open borders/amnesty/DACA, support corporations and globalism over the American middle/working classes (see tariffs threads), constantly drone on about how much more educated they are than the middle/working classes & relish calling them names at every turn.
What?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:04 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Actions speak louder than words. Those who don’t acknowledge the inherent racism and bias in our justice system from the beat cops on up are saying black lives don’t matter.
That issue is about political perspective.

Many people believe that the cops are just doing their jobs by going after criminals. It has nothing to do with race.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:05 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I really need to take issue with progressives moving to any very red states. Here is why: Before I retired I heard of the Villages. I even went there a couple of times. While I was less than impressed with their inability to tell me the total price of a new house there, the politics was much worse. Sumter Landing had Fox radio playing in the street. Barnes and Nobles had a rack of right wing books. Anything writings that were left of center were hard to find. There were other annoyances like a thirty thousand person rally for Sara Palin.

Meaning no disrespect to the OP, this is where they send Democrats when they go to Hell. Why would I go there voluntarily.
The Villages is a strongly Republican part of Florida, a very competitive purple state. There are several places in Florida where liberals would be surrounded by like-minded persons and friendly media - most of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale metro, Orlando, Gainesville, Tallahassee and the urban core of Tampa Bay for instance.

If liberals want to use relocation as a strategy to perform better in the electoral college, moving to purple states would make more sense than red states. It would take a lot of Democrats moving to dark red Oklahoma or South Carolina to make those states even remotely competitive, but an influx of left-leaning voters to Wisconsin or Michigan would go a long way towards reassembling the blue wall. This approach has worked pretty well in Virginia and Colorado the last few election cycles after all, to name a couple formerly Republican states where the party is struggling to compete today that have received many domestic migrants. But keep in mind, Republicans could retaliate with strategic moves of their own.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:33 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've done this. I wouldn't recommend it.

A better strategy would be to get Putin out of our elections.

Paper ballots instead of those Diebold's electronic voting machines with no paper trails would be a smart move as well.
No one has ever claimed Russians hacked the voting machines.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:46 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Unfortunately I live in the absolute worst of the worst of the red states; Oklahoma. This is a state that's still 30-50 years away from legal recreational marijuana because most people consider it the "devil's lettuce." This is a state where the Baptist church pretty much is the state government. This is a state where despite being in my thirties, I'm still mostly closeted about my sexuality and living a double life because that's just what I have to do. Words cannot describe how much I despise this place but due to poor life decisions I'm now stuck here. Why do I despise it? It's pretty much the capital of the religious right and Trumpism. It's the dream location of people who dream of a right-wing authoritarian society. The words "small government" don't apply in Oklahoma. Here, the government is an institution set up by God to impose the will of the Baptist church.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:26 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'm so sorry OP...I had no idea that California had gotten so bad! Good luck with your move.
LOL, they complain about the high taxes, the high COL, the high cost of homes, the huge number of homeless druggies.......

Then they move somewhere nice and say we want to change it just like the "Utopia" they just left.

It's a Liberal virus.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
After reading about Trump's behavior at G7, I think drastic measures need to be taken. Since we can't abolish the Electoral College for whatever the reason, people in liberal states need to figure out how to move in enough numbers to red states to turn this country around. This can't be allowed to happen again; he is a national embarrassment and a real threat to the word's security and political stability.

So, who's joining me in my move to Iowa?
How RED is Iowa anyways?
Didn't they also elect Obama?

From my travels Iowans are very nice people even if they are all white.....I think the blackest thing I saw in that state was the pavement !

Old 06-10-2018, 10:33 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
How RED is Iowa anyways?
Didn't they also elect Obama?

From my travels Iowans are very nice people even if they are all white.....I think the blackest thing I saw in that state was the pavement !

Yeah Iowa is a purple state. If you want red, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Alabama are the reddest of the red.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:36 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
The Villages is a strongly Republican part of Florida, a very competitive purple state. There are several places in Florida where liberals would be surrounded by like-minded persons and friendly media - most of the Miami/Fort Lauderdale metro, Orlando, Gainesville, Tallahassee and the urban core of Tampa Bay for instance.

If liberals want to use relocation as a strategy to perform better in the electoral college, moving to purple states would make more sense than red states. It would take a lot of Democrats moving to dark red Oklahoma or South Carolina to make those states even remotely competitive, but an influx of left-leaning voters to Wisconsin or Michigan would go a long way towards reassembling the blue wall. This approach has worked pretty well in Virginia and Colorado the last few election cycles after all, to name a couple formerly Republican states where the party is struggling to compete today that have received many domestic migrants. But keep in mind, Republicans could retaliate with strategic moves of their own.
Florida also elected President Obama twice.....and there are more registered Dems in the state than Repubs.

Trump won the state by a little over 1% also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies