Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 AM

506 posts, read 510,311 times

Advertisements

If you are driving about, and you see someone raising the flag, such on a high school campus, do you stop your car and wait for the flag to be completely raised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Its a piece of cloth with a particular design on it, so no. But if I happen upon a herd of cows crossing a road, I do slow down considerably while I weave in and out

Old 06-14-2018, 07:49 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Nope. No need to.

Only on a military base does this apply.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:53 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
That sounds dangerous. I'd be more concerned about the safety of those around me than some artificial gesture to a ceremony that I'm not participating in.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:54 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
If you are driving about, and you see someone raising the flag, such on a high school campus, do you stop your car and wait for the flag to be completely raised?
Why would one stop?

As for flag etiquette? Burn it?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Unless I'm driving on a Military Base, no. You're talking about reveille.

Stopping on a busy street, especially where I live, can get you killed.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:03 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its a piece of cloth with a particular design on it, so no. But if I happen upon a herd of cows crossing a road, I do slow down considerably while I weave in and out
Not exactly about the flag but about the national anthem. When I lived in TN I used to run and mountain bike on trails just off main base of a military installation. The first time I rode late in the afternoon I was alone on trails and all of a sudden I heard the national anthem playing over a loud speaker (I learned pretty quickly that they did this every day at 5pm).

I was alone and deep in the woods and for a few seconds I continued riding. But I couldn't keep riding. I dismounted and stood beside my bike until the anthem was done, then I got back on my bike and continued with my ride. At the time my son was in Iraq. My sons' father was military. My now husband was ex-military and retired law enforcement. I can't ever forget those who served and those who serve. It costs me nothing to take a minute to acknowledge them.

I don't stop when a flag is being raised. But I also don't relish in deliberately being dismissive of those in this nation who serve on our behalf.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:07 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
About 3 or 4 times per day.

My car has a lot of dents and I will need a walker soon. But my patriotism is unchallenged.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Not exactly about the flag but about the national anthem. When I lived in TN I used to run and mountain bike on trails just off main base of a military installation. The first time I rode late in the afternoon I was alone on trails and all of a sudden I heard the national anthem playing over a loud speaker (I learned pretty quickly that they did this every day at 5pm).

I was alone and deep in the woods and for a few seconds I continued riding. But I couldn't keep riding. I dismounted and stood beside my bike until the anthem was done, then I got back on my bike and continued with my ride. At the time my son was in Iraq. My sons' father was military. My now husband was ex-military and retired law enforcement. I can't ever forget those who served and those who serve. It costs me nothing to take a minute to acknowledge them.

I don't stop when a flag is being raised. But I also don't relish in deliberately being dismissive of those in this nation who serve on our behalf.
once you figure out they arent serving on our behalf, the dismissive attutude becomes natural

Old 06-14-2018, 09:55 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Unless I'm driving on a Military Base, no. You're talking about reveille.

Stopping on a busy street, especially where I live, can get you killed.
Even on a military base, you would find people playing dumb. Heck, go by a barracks around the time of 'colors' and you will see people diving into buildings just so they don't get stuck standing outside staring at a flagpole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies