Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 02:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I've never understood how poor people can have children and live with themselves/their decisions (unless they can't reconcile having an abortion and were raped). The child didn't do anything to deserve being born into a poor family.
So poor people do not have the right to be normal humans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 02:43 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Here's the CDC study, with details.

They counted as rural for counties with < 50,000 residents. 14% of the US population lives in these rural areas, per the link. There were a few variations for some states that didn't have any counties with <50k residents. This link explains how they split rural and metro.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6723a1.htm
My county is just over 80,000, but there are plenty of fat people there. They help keep the Texas Roadhouse packed. I had to give up eating two baskets of their wonderful hot roles, or else I was gonna get fat with them.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:46 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Nope. So they better get on the ball or shake the stick. Being too lazy doesn't cut it. They could end up in jail for being too lazy to live right.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:53 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, when Republicans laugh about health food initiatives, fight even simple (and partial) solutions such as calorie listings on menus, no 64 OZ Big Gulps (that's death in a cup, c'mon!) and stuff like that, it doesn't look very good from the outside.

It's sort of like you saying the Republicans really care about energy efficiency - when, in fact, they hung their hat nationwide on how "bad" it was to talk about getting rid of 100W incandescent bulbs! This type of stuff really makes them a caricature - and this is not some lunatic fringe.

The Marching Cry has always been "If I want a car that gets 10 MPG I should be able to buy one and drive it all I want".

Change starts with attitude..and words ARE important. I do notice that after things change (you can't hardly buy a 100x bulb anymore), Republicans go silent and seem to finally understand that they are saving big bucks. Still, a state like TX uses 250% as much energy per capita as the more efficient states.

Whether it's energy gluttony or food gluttony....same thing, really.

Things ARE changing a little bit due to demand. Back in the 1990's it was almost impossible to find anything to eat (decent) when I was on the road (my biz took me mostly to rural parts). Now it is a little bit easier...if nothing else you can find a chain that is semi-healthy.

Of course, this is not purely a political topic as most people are independents or non-voters. But at the same time, you will find most of the food trends as a result of the "hippies" (all current health food culture really stemmed from the 60's and various macrobiotic and vegetarian movements).

We were ridiculed and laughed at.....but now, the rest of the country (and world, to a degree) is coming around. Those who are not often die younger or get sicker quicker.
At least one of the choices for filling those up is zero calorie.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:23 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
^^^^^ Doesn't address my last sentence at all.

People should have as many children as they like, if they can afford to raise them and not rely on others/the taxpayers to pay for them.

The percentage of U.S. births that are paid for by Medicaid is astronomical.

Have you ever lived with having at least enough money so that you can at least 'taste the world' a bit..beyond local constraints. If so, why would you want to deny that for your child?

IMO, my parents had no business having me. They literally didn't have anything. The only thing that 'saved' me re being able to have even the basics (I'm an only child) was my mother being able to rely on my wealthy grandparents.

I can afford kids, but I decided when I was 10 years old to never have kids (I have a godson (a friend of mine passed over his brothers to make me the godfather of his first born son), and I'm close/have helped with some well situated but fatherless kids in my family). I felt that no kid deserves to have the legacy of having my (even though deceased since my 20s) father as a grandfather, especially given that I had (IMO) the best grandfather (maternal) who ever lived.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well you have to read it, understand it, and implement it. As I mentioned, I lost all of my excess weight, my A1C dropped to normal, cholesterol normal, BMI in ideal range, fat dropped to 10% and muscle mass shot to the level of a competitive athlete....my doctor decided to read the book and implement it herself after seeing the results I got.
It was a joke! I wanted to hear what the book said, which you still haven't told us.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In my family, it is socially unacceptable to be fat. It is viewed as a lack of control, a lack of discipline.
So you (plural) do a lot of judging, hey?

Old 06-16-2018, 07:38 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Rural America, aka "Trump Land," is full of fat and out of shape people.

Who knew?!
"Trump land?" Hardly.
Quote:
"Hispanics (47.0%) and non-Hispanic blacks (46.8%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity"
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db288.pdf

Typically NOT Trump voters.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Blacks and Latino's are much more likely to be obese than Whites.

Current obesity rates are as follows:
  • Black Adult Men - 37.1%
  • Latino Adult Men - 40.1%
  • White Adult Men - 32.4%

• Black Adult Women - 56.6%
  • Latino Adult Women - 44.4%
  • White Adult Women - 32.8%
  • Black Boys - 19.9%
  • Latino Boys - 24.1%
  • White Boys - 12.6%
  • Black Girls - 20.5%
  • Latino Girls - 20.6%
  • White Girls - 15.6%
Yikes!

Quote:
I don't know where this narrative of Trump voters being obese comes from.
Me, neither. It simply isn't true. It's actually the other way around. Dem voters are far more likely to be obese.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I live in a rural community in SE Texas (outside of Houston,) and I know many of the factors leading to the rural obesity issue. And it's not just Hispanics who are not health conscious: blacks and whites ignore their health as well. In rural Texas, we are even more dependent on our cars than in urban Houston. In my community, we drive about 25 minutes to get to the affordable grocery stores. The two others that are nearby have a limited selection and high prices.

The extreme heat deters residents from exercising outdoors. Throughout the summer, most adults and kids stay shut inside with the A/C on full blast. And of course healthy food is far more expensive than unhealthy food, plus it just doesn't taste as good. Long hours at work combined with long commutes home makes adults unwilling to exercise after hours. Then of course restaurants offer an abundance of high fat, high carb meals in excessive quantities. And cooking at home is less convenient than eating out. And of course there is the video game/cell phone/computer thing, which consumes many hours of children's time. I'm sure there are other factors I'm not considering.

My wife and I are gaining weight as the temperatures creep up and are taking active measures to stop the problem. I have cut out red meat, am eating more vegetables and fruit, and restarted my exercise program at the gym. We also got a season pass at our water park and go swimming once a week. It's helping bit by bit. But it isn't easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies