Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 05:17 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
How many calories are in the Trump koolaid these fools are guzzling?

I am shocked to discover that Real 'Murica is full of fat, ignorant people. Who woulda thunk it?

awww....judgmental much ? Someone still seems a bit butt hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 05:26 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Biggest lie ever.

It costs money to eat steak, seafood, and exotic fruits or vegetables. That's it....

There is nothing expensive about rice, beans, or frozen pees and carrots. There is nothing expensive about scrambled eggs, whole chickens, or catfish. There is nothing expensive about potatoes, apples, or spinach.

Give me a break with this nonsense. A good sized zucchini costs less than a candy bar.........smh
I could fill an entire shopping cart plum full for a $100, which isn't even a quarter of what most poor people receive on their food cards.
Truth.

I can go into an Aldi’s or Walmart and buy enough whole, fresh, unprocessed foods for $70 a week and feed a family of 4. The problem has absolutely nothing to do with healthy food being expensive, it has to do with people being lazy.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:30 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
I was born in KS, and still have family there. When I return to the small town to visit, I've looked for like a nice home style cooking type of restaurant, and they had all gone out of business. All that is left is fast food, cheap and fast. It is sad really. We are well on our way to this....
https://scifiinterfaces.files.wordpr...lnetwork01.jpg

Old 06-15-2018, 05:31 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Your quite wrong when describing Italians. I spent a lot of time in Italy. When I was there, it was rare to see someone overweight much less obese. Italian are generally very fit and have one of the longest life expectancies in the world. One of the last pieces of data I looked at put adult Italians at 10 percent obese, dramatically lower than the U.S. and also lower than most of it's European neighbors. Childhood obesity is however increasing. Don't go and compare that to Mexicans in Mexico that have an obese rate the same as the U.S.

Obesity in Italy | EASO
When talking about obesity rate, we of course need to specify SEC, and age, and region, because those will have an impact on the specific numbers.

I was talking generally about a how a traditionally carb heavy diet, added to a modern lifestyle, will influence the tendency of the general weight population. Of course there are many fit Italians in Italy; I’ve seen them myself. But drill down to SEC, region, and age group and you will find a propensity for heavier people as they age. ( Compared to, say elderly Japanese.)

The implication is not that Italians have an obesity problem like, say, poorer Latinos in their native countries; rather it was pointing to the long term effects of a carb heavy diet, without weighing SEC, and thus lifestyle. Added, the poorer Latinos’ diet was low on animal protein and fresh vegetables. So, you’re already starting off with a poor template, before “Americanizing” it.

The bold is my main point. I mentioned an increase in global obesity, esp. amoung kids in regions where this previously was not a problem. This I believe is mostly due to modern changes to traditional diets and lifestyle. Consider why the “Slow Food” movement arose in Italy. It is an issue with which many countries, rich and poor, is grappling.

Last edited by mingna; 06-15-2018 at 05:41 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 05:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Some people already drink more than 64 oz of soda/day.
Except that is over the course of a day, a 64 oz drink is just one serving.

Ive been meaning to ask our cup suppliers if they offer a 72oz or larger cup, just to see what they say...if they do have one or tell me they are considering making them, I will have no doubt this is all intentional.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:55 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
When one of the biggest problems in your country is that the poor people are too fat you are doing something right. Capitalism has created such an abundance of stuff that no one even knows what to do with it all. There's a store down the road run by a local church that just gives away food for free all week.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:16 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I noticed the same. However, I grew up in a majority Italian immigrant community in the USA and there are a significant number that are obese. We need to identify where we (Americans) are failing (I already have and fixed it).
The answer to that is pretty simple. Italian Americans eat an American diet, not an Italian one. In Italy, the main meal of the day is served at noon, not at night. When I was there, I never saw Italians eating junk food either nor snack in between meals. Of course some do, but not nearly to the extent Americans do. They eat very little fatty meat as well. Having sweets was an occasional thing reserved for special occasions.
Also, Italians in Italy make it a point not to be overweight. Their culture is about looking good and dressing well. Maybe things have changed significantly since I lived there, but that's how it was.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:21 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Was that about the same time the government vilified fat and all “fat free” items became fabulous? Add to that the “diet” soft drinks. I think Tab came out during the 70’s. Oh yeah, don’t forget about margarine!

Agribusiness + government = corruption and disease.
Yes.
Fructose corn syrup for the win... well for the farm lobby anyway

Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 AM

482 posts, read 242,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think I'll pass on that, thanks.
LOL Good eye

yeah, I think most people would.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You want to see a fat population. Look at the honest and hard working..and smart...Amish.

About 80% of the older women are obese...really obese. A lot of the men are too, but not quite as many.
Yes, the non-young Amish and Mennonite women are hefty. The dresses don't even hide it that well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies