Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,953,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Blacks and Latino's are much more likely to be obese than Whites.

Current obesity rates are as follows:
  • Black Adult Men - 37.1%
  • Latino Adult Men - 40.1%
  • White Adult Men - 32.4%
  • Black Adult Women - 56.6%
  • Latino Adult Women - 44.4%
  • White Adult Women - 32.8%
  • Black Boys - 19.9%
  • Latino Boys - 24.1%
  • White Boys - 12.6%
  • Black Girls - 20.5%
  • Latino Girls - 20.6%
  • White Girls - 15.6%

I don't know where this narrative of Trump voters being obese comes from.
Desperation caused by TDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:10 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,953,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
.......I live in CA and obesity seems to be everywhere here as well, with Blacks and Latinos leading the way with each having over 31% obesity and that's expected to double in the next few years. Are you going to get some kind of joy from that as well?
Only if they vote Republican.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:18 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
For many poor people and people in rural America eating is the number one form of family entertainment an recreation.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,361,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You don't sound very Neutral. Regardless, what satisfaction does anyone get out of being haters regarding the obesity rate anywhere?
I live in CA and obesity seems to be everywhere here as well, with Blacks and Latinos leading the way with each having over 31% obesity and that's expected to double in the next few years. Are you going to get some kind of joy from that as well?
The traditional Latino diet is heavy on carbs and low on fresh vegetables. If you observed these folks in their native countries, they also tend towards being heavier as they age, similar to the pasta and bread-heavy Italians.

Add to the modern Latino diet large amounts of sugar in the form of candies and soda, coupled with American-sized portions, and you have the makings for a very high obesity rate, esp. among the kids.

Here in the US, we are all susceptible to a distorted view of what comprises a normal meal size, especially when eating out.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Take away their SNAP benefits. In fact, anyone who is obese, needs to lose their SNAP benefits.
Those people with SNAP benefits are only able to afford junk to feed their children and even worse if they live in an area without good grocery stores or available produce. Expensive to eat a healthy diet.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:46 PM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
The traditional Latino diet is heavy on carbs and low on fresh vegetables. If you observed these folks in their native countries, they also tend towards being heavier as they age, similar to the pasta and bread-heavy Italians.

Add to the modern Latino diet large amounts of sugar in the form of candies and soda, coupled with American-sized portions, and you have the makings for a very high obesity rate, esp. among the kids.

Here in the US, we are all susceptible to a distorted view of what comprises a normal meal size, especially when eating out.
Your quite wrong when describing Italians. I spent a lot of time in Italy. When I was there, it was rare to see someone overweight much less obese. Italian are generally very fit and have one of the longest life expectancies in the world. One of the last pieces of data I looked at put adult Italians at 10 percent obese, dramatically lower than the U.S. and also lower than most of it's European neighbors. Childhood obesity is however increasing. Don't go and compare that to Mexicans in Mexico that have an obese rate the same as the U.S.

http://easo.org/media-portal/country...sity-in-italy/

Last edited by marino760; 06-14-2018 at 09:48 PM..

Old 06-14-2018, 08:54 PM

482 posts, read 242,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Those people with SNAP benefits are only able to afford junk to feed their children and even worse if they live in an area without good grocery stores or available produce. Expensive to eat a healthy diet.
Biggest lie ever.

It costs money to eat steak, seafood, and exotic fruits or vegetables. That's it....

There is nothing expensive about rice, beans, or frozen pees and carrots. There is nothing expensive about scrambled eggs, whole chickens, or catfish. There is nothing expensive about potatoes, apples, or spinach.

Give me a break with this nonsense. A good sized zucchini costs less than a candy bar.........smh
I could fill an entire shopping cart plum full for a $100, which isn't even a quarter of what most poor people receive on their food cards.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:58 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,696,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
You can take it up with these guys, I used their numbers.

https://stateofobesity.org/disparities/
No, I am taking it up with you. Look at WV and tell me what you see in their stats. That is rural and white and represents the subject perfectly.

I have to assume you can do numbers....and those you quoted don't add up. I don't care who wrote them. You can't have all white people nationally being low and then have most of the fattest states being heavily white - doesn't jive!

The only way your numbers would work out would be if the US was 10% white or something.

Besides, a vast number of hispanics are "white". The word often denotes heritage. Are people from Spain White? I can assure you they are since we have had them as exchange students many years. Perfectly white from head to toe.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,696,215 times
Let's be realistic. You want to see a fat population. Look at the honest and hard working..and smart...Amish. I know...I see them for many months as I live near a community where they vacation and retire.

About 80% of the older women are obese...really obese. A lot of the men are too, but not quite as many.

The reason is simple. They eat a diet which works OK for hard work when they are young. But they keep eating the same thing as they age - and they balloon up.

I am 65 and have vastly changed my diet and calorie intake. You simply can't expend the same amount of calories as you can when you are banging nails all day long (when younger)...

Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 PM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
As someone else has already stated, you couldn't be more wrong. Ready made frozen fatty junk food is far more expensive than making your own nutritious meals.
As a single person I can make soup with fresh or frozen vegetables and chicken and have enough to last me almost week or I can buy a frozen pizza and have it for 2 days for almost the same cost. I can do the same thing making most casseroles. I can make sausage and eggs on a weekend morning for maybe $1.50 cost instead of going to McDonalds as well.
The snap program was put into place so low income people would be able to buy nutritious food to feed their families. If people use it properly they can achieve that.

Last edited by marino760; 06-14-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies