Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Her spokesperson clearly DID say she just grabbed it and it meant nothing. From your own link on the first page:

Therefore yes - what you are doing is assuming a hidden message.
Sorry, First Ladies who are doing an official, political photo op do not just grab any old thing to wear for the occasion.

If you believe that, there is a guy in Nigeria who can make you a million dollars if you just send him a check for a thousand.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why would Melania buy a jacket for $39 in the first place? To wear it today makes her an idiot.
Couldn't tell you. I'm not Melania. However, the vast majority of this post is sheer speculation on something her spokesperson already clearly stated meant nothing. I'm holding myself to the same standards that I would do if this was someone that I support or cared for. If this had been Michelle Obama instead of Melania, I would have still pointed to the statement made by her spokesperson. I would have still stated that anything else is conjecture. While it's fair to come up with possible reasons she may have worn the jacket, we cannot fairly judge all of her actions because of the jacket without putting faith into a reason other than what was given by her spokesperson. And this is exactly how I would have responded had it been someone I liked instead of someone I don't particularly care for because there's facts and there's opinion.

Most of this post is opinion.

Facts are Melania spoke out before Trump reversed the decision. She is the only one from his team to visit the border. She is the only who has stated she has a desire to help reunite families. She's the only one who has shown an ounce of empathy and actually interacted with the children. The. Only. One. She wore a jacket and the spokesperson clearly stated there was no meaning to it.

Anything else is assumption. Basing your entire opinion on an assumption shows a lack of critical thinking.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Sorry, First Ladies who are doing an official, political photo op do not just grab any old thing to wear for the occasion.

If you believe that, I know a guy in Nigeria who can make you a million dollars if you just send him a check for a thousand.
She wore it boarding the plane and getting off the plane. Neither of which are considered photo opportunities.

Still doesn't change facts. She's done a lot more than anyone else from that camp and the fact that so many of you are so willing to pounce on her jacket instead of admitting she's doing something when the rest are doing nothing and giving her credit for making an effort just shows a blatant bias.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
This from the first lady whose priority is bullying and she is married to a bully. She will gain my respect the day she drops the orange man.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
" according to a statement from her office." When I hear Melania say the words herself, I will believe it.
Ah, splitting hairs. How pleasant. You're still assuming and she still came out before the rest of them changed their minds. I couldn't care less what you want, she had a spokesperson release a statement on her behalf. If you choose to be picky that's your choice, but it doesn't change what she's done.

I'm willing to bet money that most of you making a big deal out of this would have been half as critical (if critical at all) if this had played out with Michelle.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Her spokesperson clearly DID say she just grabbed it and it meant nothing. From your own link on the first page:

Therefore yes - what you are doing is assuming a hidden message.
Read the tweet again -- her spokesperson did not say she 'just grabbed it"...you are reading into it what you want to see.

Today’s visit w the children in Texas impacted @flotus greatly. If media would spend their time & energy on her actions & efforts to help kids - rather than speculate & focus on her wardrobe - we could get so much accomplished on behalf of children. #SheCares #ItsJustAJacket

There has never ever been a First Lady that has gone on any official visit that has just grabbed a sweater or a jacket. They have staff for that...it is purposeful and well meaning.

But -- they can try to pretend the media is making a fuss -- CNN -- Don Lemon of all people and they said it was kind of confusing but it does not take away from kids in cages needing to be cared for and that it did not take away from her and her staff throwing the meeting together in 48 hours.

I want to know wht Melania has done for these kids. I asked Grisham to clarify -- crickets.

She showed up for a photo op -- I'm glad she did...but please let's not pretend she saved the world from Trump' stupid policies.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Read the tweet again -- her spokesperson did not say she 'just grabbed it"...you are reading into it what you want to see.

Today’s visit w the children in Texas impacted @flotus greatly. If media would spend their time & energy on her actions & efforts to help kids - rather than speculate & focus on her wardrobe - we could get so much accomplished on behalf of children. #SheCares #ItsJustAJacket

There has never ever been a First Lady that has gone on any official visit that has just grabbed a sweater or a jacket. They have staff for that...it is purposeful and well meaning.

But -- they can try to pretend the media is making a fuss -- CNN -- Don Lemon of all people and they said it was kind of confusing but it does not take away from kids in cages needing to be cared for and that it did not take away from her and her staff throwing the meeting together in 48 hours.

I want to know wht Melania has done for these kids. I asked Grisham to clarify -- crickets.

She showed up for a photo op -- I'm glad she did...but please let's not pretend she saved the world from Trump' stupid policies.
What tweet?? I'm taking the quote from the CNN article YOU posted. On the first page. There was no tweet, that was the statement.

You should probably read the link you posted again.

You're assuming. Bottom line, you changed your entire tune the second someone gave you what you deemed a valid excuse to condemn her.

ETA the link in case you need it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/polit...ion/index.html

Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
What tweet?? I'm taking the quote from the CNN article YOU posted. On the first page. There was no tweet, that was the statement.

You should probably read the link you posted again.

You're assuming. Bottom line, you changed your entire tune the second someone gave you what you deemed a valid excuse to condemn her.
My apologies -- when I posted that article -- she had not yet worn the jacket. They updated their story. I did not know they included a quote from Grisham.

I was watching on TV as she left and came to my own conclusion.

Because I don't agree with you I must have been told how I think???? I'll excuse that because many here are that gullible me not so much. I reacted the way I did based on my immediate reaction of -- WHY DID SHE DO THAT. Knowing it was the wrong thing to do.

It was not an accident and it was inappropriate. You can say I'm assuming........all you want.

Trump said it was meant for the press -- do you think he is lying?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:45 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I want one of these in a t-shirt, a hoodie and a jacket If you see them for sale let me know

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgPm8eGWAAA4_HI.jpg
Ben Wikler's Twitter has a link to a non-profit source for T-shirts. Evidently they come in different colors, as some are expressing their preference for orange!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My apologies -- when I posted that article -- she had not yet worn the jacket. They updated their story. I did not know they included a quote from Grisham.

I was watching on TV as she left and came to my own conclusion.

Because I don't agree with you I must have been told how I think???? I'll excuse that because many here are that gullible me not so much. I reacted the way I did based on my immediate reaction of -- WHY DID SHE DO THAT. Knowing it was the wrong thing to do.

It was not an accident and it was inappropriate. You can say I'm assuming........all you want.

Trump said it was meant for the press -- do you think he is lying?
You are assuming. It's not an opinion. It's a fact. You have been given the reason behind the jacket from her spokesperson and have willingly chose not to believe it and instead come to your own conclusion. That is an assumption and you're basing your entire opinion off of it.

Trump always lies. ALWAYS. He would say the sky is blue and I'd go outside to double check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies