Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe That Women Gaining The Right To Vote Brought Us Today's Welfare State?
Yes 23 20.91%
No 87 79.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times

Advertisements

Not being sexist. Just asking for opinions. I read about this a while back.

After the 19th amendment was passed. Women gained the right to vote. 100 years later we have one of the largest welfare states in the World.

Women tend to vote for big government, and the party of big government.

Women are now relying on the government to raise them, and their children. Men are sometimes punished through the court system with no visitation , and or high child support payments. Women no longer get married. They would much rather have the government give them forced redistribution of resources rather than get married and have a man provide.

Agree , disagree.? Yes not maybe so? Let go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,645 times
No.

Not every woman who chooses not to marry is on welfare. Most women who are single by choice, are too busy working and taking care of themselves.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
I think the issue is that women were held down/oppressed in many ways for years. The husband was the one who made the decisions etc.

So women feel closer to the liberal issues in this country. They are mothers & think with their heart more than their brain.

By women siding on that side of the political spectrum they've contributed to things getting that way because that's how the party moves.

I'm not an expert on welfare state but I'd say that with many mothers they think with their heart & instead of what might really be a solution to welfare. They would want to keep putting money into a broken system because they can't bear to see children live poor. When in reality it should have never got that far. You're always going to have poor people as long as you have rich. If they had understood that some people will be hurt by not continuing polices but eventually in the long run things would get better. That's the problem & what I mean by thinking with their heart instead of the brain.

Sometimes the unpopular decision is ultimately the right decision long term. Getting off on a tangent here but sometimes a company has to lay people off in order for it to survive. By doing that the company looks bad & people hate that company. But 5 years later it's still around & providing many jobs for people in that community. And while the company might employ 100 less people it still employees 1000 people in that community that otherwise wouldn't exist.

But if that company acted with a heart instead of what actually made sense it would probably be out of business because it was never going to survive otherwise.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
So now we are going to talk about taking away women's right to vote? What, do we want to go back to a nation where only white men who own property have the right to vote?

Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
I don't know if this is true but I heard that years ago black pastors in churches would tell black women that you don't need a man around because if you don't have a man around you can collect money from the government. So don't get married because then you will have more difficulty getting government assistance.

Black families were probably some of the strongest families around because you had to stick together in tough/racist times. But then suddenly the family ties fell apart.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp25 View Post
not being sexist. Just asking for opinions. I read about this a while back.

After the 19th amendment was passed. Women gained the right to vote. 100 years later we have one of the largest welfare states in the world.

Women are now relying on the government to raise them, and their children. Men are sometimes punished through the court system with no visitation , and or high child support payments. Women no longer get married. They would much rather have the government give them forced redistribution of resources rather than get married and have a man provide.

lol.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:21 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Not being sexist. Just asking for opinions. I read about this a while back.

After the 19th amendment was passed. Women gained the right to vote. 100 years later we have one of the largest welfare states in the World.

Of course not, not one bit.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Conservative ignorance and bigotry baffles the mind in my honest opinion.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Conservative ignorance and bigotry baffles the mind in my honest opinion.
Well , according to this study. Whenever welfare reform was enacted, this increased the likelihood of women voting by about 4 percentage points, which translates to about a 10% increase relative to the baseline mean.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w22052.pdf

Apparently data shows this.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
So now we are going to talk about taking away women's right to vote? What, do we want to go back to a nation where only white men who own property have the right to vote?
Kind of confused with your "statement"....I did not see anyone type "Lets take away a women's right to vote" ????????????

Where do you see this??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies