Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 03:53 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What about the correlation between no food and starvation?

Your insistence on quoting - incorrectly, I might add - this OIG report is becoming laughable.

The reason for this is well-documented and comes down to the fact that inexpensive food is starchy stuff that doesn't fill you up and that is nutrient-deficient; and to the fact that many low-income neighborhoods are food deserts.

Oh, how many times have we been down this road? Let me quote directly from the report:

You are able to understand the difference between "may be" and "is" is, yes?

Two or more programs ... That means a child could be receiving breakfast (SBP) and lunch (NSLP), which is not a duplication of meals. That means a child could be receiving breakfast and/or lunch at school, while a younger sibling and mom receive WIC benefits, which the school-age child is not eligible for. No duplication there, either.

Oops ...

In other words, the OIC isn't sure if there is overlap and/or duplication in federal food programs.

Let that sink in ...

It's not. At least the federal government hasn't proven that it is, yet.
This part:

Quote:
The reason for this is well-documented and comes down to the fact that inexpensive food is starchy stuff that doesn't fill you up and that is nutrient-deficient; and to the fact that many low-income neighborhoods are food deserts.
Is absolutely correct. I've been trying to tell people that for years, but they all insist that one can survive on a $5 bag of oranges per week with no problem.

What is cheap and spreads out over the week?

Potatoes
Bread
Rice
Beans

I can get a 10lb bag of potatoes, a huge bag of rice, a loaf of bread, and a bag of beans for under $15. And it would last me, alone, well over a week.

Go into the produce department, I can get:

Apples for $1.00/lb (About 5 apples, give or take a few)
Oranges in bags for $5 (about 10 oranges, give or take a few)
A head of lettuce for $1.29
Bananas for 99cents/lb (about 7 bananas, and you have to eat them fast, they don't last a week even if you get them bright green)
Onions for 89cents/lb (so a single onion, typically- to go with the lettuce)
Grapes 1.89/lb so about a single bag
Spinach (not in a bag so it's cheaper) at about 89cents a "head".
Carrots (raw, not peeled, not cut) about $1.29 for about 8
Green Beans (not frozen, not cut, not snapped, whatever) for about 89cents/lb...so a lot of green beans.

Welp, I'm at the $15 mark already with produce.

So what do I get out of that?

About 3-4 salads with only lettuce, spinach, and onion pieces, no dressing, no croutons, no BaconBits or walnuts or whatever weird stuff people put on their salads.
An apple a day for the work week
An orange a day for a week and a half
A banana a day for a week
Grapes for about 3 days
And then carrots and green beans for about a week and a half.

So $15 on the starchy foods that will last about 2 weeks or the produce that will last fully about 3-4 days, and then only a plateful of beans or carrots plus 2 fruits the rest of that week. Forget week 2.

And despite the claim, starchy foods do make you feel full. Eating an apple and a plate of green beans does not make you feel full.

You don't gain weight on the produce diet, mainly because you're starving. You do gain weight on the starchy diet because they are starchy foods. Starchy foods convert to glucose rapidly and that, in turn, releases insulin. Insulin causes the body to store the excess glucose into fat. If you eat a of starchy foods, (because it's cheap and lasts much longer than healthier foods), your body stores it all as fat, hence why poor people, who eat a lot of starchy foods, because they are cheap, are fatter than those who can afford to do all of their shopping in the produce aisle.

We can argue about food stamps all we want, but let's not pretend that the poor people are eating a crap ton more food than others. It's not how much they are eating, it's WHAT they are eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This part:

Is absolutely correct. I've been trying to tell people that for years, but they all insist that one can survive on a $5 bag of oranges per week with no problem.

What is cheap and spreads out over the week?

Potatoes
Bread
Rice
Beans

I can get a 10lb bag of potatoes, a huge bag of rice, a loaf of bread, and a bag of beans for under $15. And it would last me, alone, well over a week.

Go into the produce department, I can get:

Apples for $1.00/lb (About 5 apples, give or take a few)
Oranges in bags for $5 (about 10 oranges, give or take a few)
A head of lettuce for $1.29
Bananas for 99cents/lb (about 7 bananas, and you have to eat them fast, they don't last a week even if you get them bright green)
Onions for 89cents/lb (so a single onion, typically- to go with the lettuce)
Grapes 1.89/lb so about a single bag
Spinach (not in a bag so it's cheaper) at about 89cents a "head".
Carrots (raw, not peeled, not cut) about $1.29 for about 8
Green Beans (not frozen, not cut, not snapped, whatever) for about 89cents/lb...so a lot of green beans.

Welp, I'm at the $15 mark already with produce.

So what do I get out of that?

About 3-4 salads with only lettuce, spinach, and onion pieces, no dressing, no croutons, no BaconBits or walnuts or whatever weird stuff people put on their salads.
An apple a day for the work week
An orange a day for a week and a half
A banana a day for a week
Grapes for about 3 days
And then carrots and green beans for about a week and a half.

So $15 on the starchy foods that will last about 2 weeks or the produce that will last fully about 3-4 days, and then only a plateful of beans or carrots plus 2 fruits the rest of that week. Forget week 2.

And despite the claim, starchy foods do make you feel full. Eating an apple and a plate of green beans does not make you feel full.

You don't gain weight on the produce diet, mainly because you're starving. You do gain weight on the starchy diet because they are starchy foods. Starchy foods convert to glucose rapidly and that, in turn, releases insulin. Insulin causes the body to store the excess glucose into fat. If you eat a of starchy foods, (because it's cheap and lasts much longer than healthier foods), your body stores it all as fat, hence why poor people, who eat a lot of starchy foods, because they are cheap, are fatter than those who can afford to do all of their shopping in the produce aisle.

We can argue about food stamps all we want, but let's not pretend that the poor people are eating a crap ton more food than others. It's not how much they are eating, it's WHAT they are eating.
I'm not buying it. The poor in Asian countries eat a lot of what? Rice. And they have MUCH lower obesity rates than Americans.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
Quote:
The responsibility to find 2 jobs that work together without causing scheduling conflicts is on you, the worker, not the company.

I'm sick of hearing people talking about how "hard" it is. I worked 4 jobs in Seattle, which included a 40 hour work week full time job, and 3 part time jobs (evening/night and then weekends during the day). I worked every. single. day. Not a single one of those jobs' hours conflicted with other jobs' hours...because I worked around my own schedule, and did not expect others to fix their schedule for me.

When I lived in Maine, I did it again. It's not easy to find a full time job in Maine, so when I first moved there, I worked multiple part time jobs. Again, I knew my schedules, so I worked around those schedules for any additional jobs. If I saw a job that I liked but it conflicted with a job I already had, the choice was a) keep looking or b) choose to take the new job if it paid better.

No one owes anyone anything when it comes to working. You (general) figure it out. It is not impossible, and it's not as hard as people pretend. If I can find 4 flippin' jobs in the state of Maine, the state that everyone in Maine likes to say "there's no jobs, don't come up here", then it can be done elsewhere. One job I got because I knew someone on the forum. ONE. The other jobs I got were all because I looked for them and worked them around each other.

Is it exhausting to work 4 jobs? Hell yes. I even showed up for work at one of the part time jobs one time when I wasn't even scheduled to work because I was just so automated to working by that point.

But you know what is more exhausting than working 4 jobs? Not having enough money. What's more exhausting than not having enough money? Not having the freedom that you get when you earn your own damn money, and you have to rely on a system to give it to you, but only so much, and if you get a raise or work 1 hour more in your jobs, you're out.

So how about you just find a way to earn your own stinking money and not be a slave to the system?

No, you're not a "slave" to the workforce, you are getting paid, and with that pay you are able to afford a place to live, food, electric, and gasp! Maybe even something fun once in awhile. You will have to figure out that you can't have all the expensive crap that you want, but you know what, life is actually nicer without a lot of it.

I keep my expenses low, always have, and I've been able to live quite happily without spending a ton of money. People need to re-examine their lifestyles, and if they can't or won't change them, then they're going to have to get working.

NO one owes anyone their level of comfort.
Exhibit A: If the poor are so busy that they have to have 4 jobs and still can only scrape by, they will not have time to think about why they must work 4 jobs.

Enough with your nonsense. No one can work 4 jobs. There are literally only 168 hours in a week. There is clearly something you are not telling us that would make your terribly stupid life choices untenable for the vast majority of people.

Congratulations on having been too dim to see just how grossly you were being taken advantage of. Is it retrospective malice that makes you unbearably pompous, or are you just really certain that the rest of us cannot spot the massive holes in your lie?

Old 07-02-2018, 05:10 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wait until they find out just how many SNAP recipients already are working, or are disabled and cannot work.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/policy...e-program-snap

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...?chartId=82672
Wait till they find out how many SNAP recipients lie about their eligibility and live with baby daddy and his or her mommy/daddy

Old 07-02-2018, 05:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Uh no, their willingness to run an immoral food stamp scheme is responsible for people getting food stamps.
Wages on the other hand are negotiated between principles and subject to the law of supply and demand.
So in your view it's "moral" to allow people to starve to death.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:17 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,439,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Soybean farmers in the three I states, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana say the Trump tariffs will have serious negative economic impacts. Trump mumbled something about making it up to them.
I'm sure I heard or read -Patience!
Yikes.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:20 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,439,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Exhibit A: If the poor are so busy that they have to have 4 jobs and still can only scrape by, they will not have time to think about why they must work 4 jobs.

Enough with your nonsense. No one can work 4 jobs. There are literally only 168 hours in a week. There is clearly something you are not telling us that would make your terribly stupid life choices untenable for the vast majority of people.

Congratulations on having been too dim to see just how grossly you were being taken advantage of. Is it retrospective malice that makes you unbearably pompous, or are you just really certain that the rest of us cannot spot the massive holes in your lie?
Maybe this persons parents talked to them the same way you are right now... Were not there when they were being taken advantage of, or ever offered guidance.

Try and be not quite so cruel .

Old 07-02-2018, 05:46 PM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
There are plenty that don't
Got stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The correlation between Food Stamps and much higher rates of obesity, and consequently much higher rates of obesity-related life-threatening diseases is no less dire.
Well, you sure are right about that. If you starve to death, you won't get diabetes.

Quote:
I worked 4 jobs in Seattle, which included a 40 hour work week full time job, and 3 part time jobs (evening/night and then weekends during the day).
Congratulations. We'll be sure to nominate you for sainthood.

Quote:
Not having the freedom that you get when you earn your own damn money
You don't have much freedom when you're working 4 jobs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Wait till they find out how many SNAP recipients lie about their eligibility and live with baby daddy and his or her mommy/daddy
Got stats?

Old 07-02-2018, 05:50 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Maybe this persons parents talked to them the same way you are right now... Were not there when they were being taken advantage of, or ever offered guidance.

Try and be not quite so cruel .
I can find an infinite number of reasons for the "why" of such a sociopathic lack of empathy.

But I was not presented with background. Instead, this person chose to ignore the option to live in a society that does not require working 4 jobs at once and still remain in poverty. They proceeded to judge literally everyone else for not having made the same choices.

Even if I wasn't so certain that the "four jobs" claim was a lie, I was not cruel. I was blunt in the way I refused to extend the same empathy. It's an online discussion; why would I ask for more lies to understand a false claim?

Old 07-02-2018, 06:19 PM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So in your view it's "moral" to allow people to starve to death.
I think if SNAP were ended the recipients would get healthier as SNAP promotes the purchase of junk food (big ag loves it too).
And people wont be starving to death without a govt handout scheme, theyll turn to private charity or maybe rearrange finances and buy real food instead of cell phones, cigarettes, booze, lotto tickets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies