Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not buying it. The poor in Asian countries eat a lot of what? Rice. And they have MUCH lower obesity rates than Americans.
They also eat a LOT of vegetables and fish. Both are expensive in this country.

Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Exhibit A: If the poor are so busy that they have to have 4 jobs and still can only scrape by, they will not have time to think about why they must work 4 jobs.

Enough with your nonsense. No one can work 4 jobs. There are literally only 168 hours in a week. There is clearly something you are not telling us that would make your terribly stupid life choices untenable for the vast majority of people.

Congratulations on having been too dim to see just how grossly you were being taken advantage of. Is it retrospective malice that makes you unbearably pompous, or are you just really certain that the rest of us cannot spot the massive holes in your lie?
What part of "1 full time job and 3 part time jobs" are you having a hard time comprehending? I most certainly did work 4 jobs. I did not say "4 full time jobs", perhaps you should take the time to read what I wrote, slowly. That was in Seattle. In Maine, it was 4 part time jobs, which I also clearly stated.

Go back, re-read, and try your response again.

As to the last quip: I chose to do that work. No one forced me to work 4 jobs, and no, I was not "still poor". I had the money to get what I needed when I needed it, and I had the money to get some of the things I wanted, when I wanted them. At no point was I "taken advantage of" by anyone.

People can sit around pissing and whining that they don't have enough money for this, that, and the other, or they can get up off of their lazy, excuse making asses and get working.

Gee, where is southwardbound who thinks I didn't do anything.

Let me know if you want me to write out my schedules that I had, I'll be happy to oblige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Maybe this persons parents talked to them the same way you are right now... Were not there when they were being taken advantage of, or ever offered guidance.

Try and be not quite so cruel .
If you want to get personal, there was no family support. They were well off enough, they just didn't believe in handing you everything. You had to earn it. Been that way since I was a kid. I might have "wanted" a car, but I sure as hell couldn't ask them to get me one, that didn't happen in our family. Oh, you overspent and now can't pay your bills? Oh well, guess you better work hard and fix that problem. That's how I was raised. So working 4 jobs meant that I realized I could only rely on myself, not rely on others to pay my way through life.

The fact that some people act like that's a bad thing is hilarious. Okay, keep whining that you don't have things, keep moaning for $15/hr that only makes prices go up for everyone, see how that whining and moaning is working out for you.

As I've said on another thread, it is harder for younger people today than it was for the boomers, as an example. But, you have to live in that reality. It is not the same as it was for the boomers (I'm not a boomer, nor am I a millennial), and it won't be. Whining about how it's not as easy does not pay your rent, does not get you that new gaming laptop, does not fix your car, does not keep you fed. Or you could go on government assistance and be limited on where you live, be limited on the amount of money you have to spend to eat and what you can buy with that money...sure, that's "freedom".

Except for the 40 hour a week job, I actually enjoyed the other jobs so, no, there was no downside to any of it. But I didn't sit around complaining, I looked for the work, I found the work, I applied for the work, sometimes I got the job, sometimes I didn't. There were some part time jobs I wanted more than others, but you pick what you can find that you won't hate yourself for, and go do it.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 07-02-2018 at 09:13 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Got stats?

Well, you sure are right about that. If you starve to death, you won't get diabetes.

Congratulations. We'll be sure to nominate you for sainthood.

You don't have much freedom when you're working 4 jobs ...

Got stats?
Yes, you do have freedom. You can sit around and wait for the government to dole out whatever amount it's going to send to you each month, or you can work hard and earn your way, and NO ONE can tell you how much you can make, there's no limit.

I never stated I was a saint, but I am stating it's bull**** when people cry about having 2 jobs.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:13 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Uh no, their willingness to run an immoral food stamp scheme is responsible for people getting food stamps.
Wages on the other hand are negotiated between principles and subject to the law of supply and demand.
Like in the 19th century? You want workers to starve on the streets? Slaves got housing and food but you think starvation and homelessness for workers in 2018 is acceptable? Do you not see how your callous approach to worker's rights leads to more political extremism?

Old 07-02-2018, 09:20 PM

89,038 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They also eat a LOT of vegetables and fish. Both are expensive in this country.

Try again.
Vegetables are easily grown in container gardens. No reason the poor can't grow their own veggies. Rice is cheap. That only leaves a protein that may or may not be costly.

Again the poor in Asian countries eat a lot of rice. They have very low obesity rates.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Vegetables are easily grown in container gardens. No reason the poor can't grow their own veggies. Rice is cheap. That only leaves a protein that may or may not be costly.

Again the poor in Asian countries eat a lot of rice. They have very low obesity rates.
Well, that's assuming that people know how to grow vegetables. But let's pretend that they do, they have the room and know how for tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, beans, etc, because they have the land or space in their homes to do this....

What do they do in the meantime for food since they spent their money on containers and gardening supplies and seeds or cuts of plants to get started?

And what do they do while they wait for it to grow?

And what, exactly, do you think they should grow?

Let's say that they have a 144 sq ft apartment. They have a bed, they have their clothes, they have a tv. Where should they put their containers of vegetables in their 144 sq ft apartment (oops, have to take off some of that footage for the tiny bathroom, so, let's say 100sq ft.)

Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
The responsibility to find 2 jobs that work together without causing scheduling conflicts is on you, the worker, not the company.

I'm sick of hearing people talking about how "hard" it is. I worked 4 jobs in Seattle, which included a 40 hour work week full time job, and 3 part time jobs (evening/night and then weekends during the day). I worked every. single. day. Not a single one of those jobs' hours conflicted with other jobs' hours...because I worked around my own schedule, and did not expect others to fix their schedule for me.

When I lived in Maine, I did it again. It's not easy to find a full time job in Maine, so when I first moved there, I worked multiple part time jobs. Again, I knew my schedules, so I worked around those schedules for any additional jobs. If I saw a job that I liked but it conflicted with a job I already had, the choice was a) keep looking or b) choose to take the new job if it paid better.

No one owes anyone anything when it comes to working. You (general) figure it out. It is not impossible, and it's not as hard as people pretend. If I can find 4 flippin' jobs in the state of Maine, the state that everyone in Maine likes to say "there's no jobs, don't come up here", then it can be done elsewhere. One job I got because I knew someone on the forum. ONE. The other jobs I got were all because I looked for them and worked them around each other.

Is it exhausting to work 4 jobs? Hell yes. I even showed up for work at one of the part time jobs one time when I wasn't even scheduled to work because I was just so automated to working by that point.

But you know what is more exhausting than working 4 jobs? Not having enough money. What's more exhausting than not having enough money? Not having the freedom that you get when you earn your own damn money, and you have to rely on a system to give it to you, but only so much, and if you get a raise or work 1 hour more in your jobs, you're out.

So how about you just find a way to earn your own stinking money and not be a slave to the system?

No, you're not a "slave" to the workforce, you are getting paid, and with that pay you are able to afford a place to live, food, electric, and gasp! Maybe even something fun once in awhile. You will have to figure out that you can't have all the expensive crap that you want, but you know what, life is actually nicer without a lot of it.

I keep my expenses low, always have, and I've been able to live quite happily without spending a ton of money. People need to re-examine their lifestyles, and if they can't or won't change them, then they're going to have to get working.

NO one owes anyone their level of comfort.
I didn't say it was impossible. I said it can be difficult. I have worked multiple jobs, too, but only at places that offered a reasonably fixed schedule.

My point was that there are employers, typically businesses that are open 24/7, that expect their employees to be available for any shift on any day. Take two or more jobs like that, and eventually there will be a conflict. It might be worked out, if you can get someone to trade shifts with you, but like I said, it can be difficult.

I stand by my statement.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:20 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Well, that's assuming that people know how to grow vegetables. But let's pretend that they do, they have the room and know how for tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, beans, etc, because they have the land or space in their homes to do this....

What do they do in the meantime for food since they spent their money on containers and gardening supplies and seeds or cuts of plants to get started?

And what do they do while they wait for it to grow?

And what, exactly, do you think they should grow?

Let's say that they have a 144 sq ft apartment. They have a bed, they have their clothes, they have a tv. Where should they put their containers of vegetables in their 144 sq ft apartment (oops, have to take off some of that footage for the tiny bathroom, so, let's say 100sq ft.)
Those are all good points, particularly the last one.

The storage issue is huge. Homegrown vegetables are wonderful, and seeds are covered by SNAP, but to use them as a primary food source year-round would require either a very large freezer or an enormous pantry, complete with canning supplies. Lots of people in small single-family homes don't have that kind of storage space, let alone apart-dwellers.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Except that all these part time employers want full time open availability I order to fill the schedule the way they want.... if you are trying to get a second job and try to limit availability at your first job you get your part time hours cute even more and to top it off won't (or very rarely theses days) find an employer to fill those gaps.... again since they also want full time availability.
Very few industries do that. Overwhelmingly employers have people work the same hours for part time work. Good workers who know their value have set hours. Why stay in a part time job, with low pay that has changing times of employment when there are so many other jobs that don't do that?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:26 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
No rule against it, no, but it can be difficult unless both employers are sympathetic to scheduling needs. Some are great, others, not so much. If you work for someone who expects you to be available for any shift on any day, good luck.
Why would anyone looking for full time employment limit themselves to a job that works a person part time yet expects them to be available 24/7? That rarely happens and anyone who stays in that type of job deserves what they get.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 07-03-2018 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies