Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domat View Post
Killing primarily for fun which this was is wrong. Children who do this we see as a sign as something wrong. It is also wrong as adults.

The rest is just virtue signalling and pretending you actually care about everything else. If this was not a canned hunt (bull) she did not know any of the things she wrote at the time of the kill.
Do you even know what a canned hunt is? She could know those things about the animal without it being fenced.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
And I do have hunters in my family and have been hunting but never for something large, just mainly birds/fowl and fishing, which is a specific type of hunt lol. And we always eat what is caught/killed. I wonder if this woman ate some of the giraffe or took some home to eat. If she didn't, I don't understand the desire to kill the animal. My family members hunt and fish in order to save money on food and they eat what they kill.
These same folks that express outrage over the giraffe, would express outrage over you with a goose, a mallard, a pheasant, a turkey, etc. Because
1. Grocery stores get their meat, from a meat tree.
2. Assumption of killing for the sake of killing.
3. They don't get it.

No matter how you explain it, or how many times you explain to these people, you will never be able to understand it for them. They have to express outrage in everything they don't partake in or understand.

In regards to her bringing meat back home, some cases that is not allowed by customs. So whether she herself can bring the meat back is another story due to what is and what isnt, allowed to return with you. Same with fish too. Whether it's a breed or a regional thing. There are instances where meat can not be brought back.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Hunting is fun. I've been hunting since I was a kid. It never was thrill of the kill..
If it's not the thrill what makes it fun? I can see hunting for food, most of us eat meat and it's an animal that has to be killed for us to eat. I don't understand hunting for sport or for fun.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Hunting is fun. I've been hunting since I was a kid. It never was thrill of the kill. That's your assumption. You take issue with a defenseless creature being killed.

Let me tell you what happens when folks with your mentality hold power in local government.

I lived in rural upstate NY for 28 of my 30 years. Folks with your mentality are the reason why the deer population exploded. Incessant whining and boohooing over the morality of it, to illegitimate fear of being mistaken for a deer while wearing bright spandex on a 18 speed to jogging on the side of the road.
Deer didn't have a natural predator. They had to be hunted. When the cityiot transplants took over the town board, they ended hunting Friday-Sunday.
Deer population EXPLODED

This resulted in farmers crops being ravaged, orchards being ravaged, but they didn't care... when they started whacking deer in the middle of the night with their BMW Audi Mercedes etc luxury sedan/suv then they started to take issue. Due to them being non driving idiots car insurance went up, Dramatically, due to the amount of collisions. It wasn't until deer started going into their lush well groomed and landscaped yards to decimate their shrubs and plants before they decided to do anything about it.
Ever see an animal with wasting disorder? I have. It's not pretty.
Ever see the brainiac idea of getting ENCON and DEC to release mountain lions from Vermont to thin the herd? I did. It didn't work just like we told the dinks at the town hall meetings. Colts, calves, sheep, goats, chickens, alpacas etc were dragged over fences because they're apex predators and will go after easy pickings first. But that didn't dawn on them. So that area is costing farmers and apple/pear/fig orchards deerly pun intended.

Never mind rezoning the lake I lived on to be residential and put the brakes on hunting waterfowl. Geese turned that lake into their personal toilet and the health department had to put signs up warning folks not to drink the water, ensure their fish were thoroughly cooked, and to not go in with open cuts/sores/wounds.

But yes... take outrage and assume it's because of killing for the sake of killing. It isnt. Alot of good comes from hunting.
Can't tout that environmental card when you get upon that soap box and express rage. You contribute to the destruction of an ecosystem and imbalances that cause detrimental effects.
If some impoverished nation wants to allow hunting for a premium, good. There's nothing wrong with that.

There is a big difference between inhumane torture of animals and hunting.
What you describe with a kid killing a dog, that's inhumane. Coyotes, different story. Coyotes and foxes loved to mess with chicken farmers.

Poaching, that's an issue to discuss. Poaching is something you would have valid cause for outrage.

I hunt feral hogs in central Florida.
Why?
They attack livestock, there are meat and dairy farms, and the cattle aren't treated with antibiotics. One bite from a hog with tusks that animal is no good. That animal is an investment to the rancher/farmer. That feral hog is detrimental to his ability to make a profit. Bacterial infections result from the wounds. That's contaminated meat it's no good, and the cow/bull/calf has to be put down.

Feral hogs aren't stupid either. They'll dig at the roots of mango and orange trees to kill the tree so it will drop fruit.

Like to drink your Tropicana every morning with breakfast? Take saw palmetto? You can thank me and the thousands of others that shoot the bastards in the citrus groves and make BBQ out of them. Feral hogs are a scourge here and Texas.

As for the giraffe, I would imagine they decimate trees and probably, like the deer in NY wind up fighting each other to the death for food. Herds have to be culled or there will be no food to support the existence of that species.
Take your morality and take a hike.

I agree with this and believe most people do not understand that huntiing does serve a purpose. However, I don't have a problem with the person in Africa who tweeted the message. They just don't like it and everyone is entitled to their opinions on the matter.

My family members who hunt deer do so in part to keep the deer population in our area in check too but they do eat the deer (I don't like venison though). Note, we are all citified people lol.

I think more urban dwellers should hunt, especially liberals who are concerned about where their food comes from. I'd rather eat a wild turkey or pheasant than chicken from a grocery store because I know where it came from and know the bird had a decent life rather than being stuck in a cage eating feces of other chickens for its whole life.

I also have some cousins in FL who hunt hogs. My husband wants to go hunt some if he can bring home the meat lol. He figures we can have a lot of pork for a while.

Still I don't see the need to take selfies though. It is weird, but I do agree that hunting is necessary to control animal populations and it also does the same here in the US in regards to generating revenue for states/counties. My uncles hunt birds in MI and it is something that MI advertises as hunters bring tourist dollars to the state.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I've never seen giraffe meat in groceries.
I have never seen White/Blacktail der, Elk, Moose or Bear meat in brick & mortar grocery store.
I have seen them in the self serve grocery store, out in the back 40.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
These same folks that express outrage over the giraffe, would express outrage over you with a goose, a mallard, a pheasant, a turkey, etc. Because
1. Grocery stores get their meat, from a meat tree.
2. Assumption of killing for the sake of killing.
3. They don't get it.

No matter how you explain it, or how many times you explain to these people, you will never be able to understand it for them. They have to express outrage in everything they don't partake in or understand.

In regards to her bringing meat back home, some cases that is not allowed by customs. So whether she herself can bring the meat back is another story due to what is and what isnt, allowed to return with you. Same with fish too. Whether it's a breed or a regional thing. There are instances where meat can not be brought back.

I'm just hoping that the meat was donated to an orphanage or some other place where it will be used.

And I agree that people are weird who are upset about hunting/killing animals, especially if they aren't vegans because someone killed the meat you're eating.

As I noted earlier, I'd rather eat an animal that lived a natural life than one caged up treated poorly. I actually encouraged my husband to hang out more with my uncles who hunt and fish so he can get more real food.

Pictures are just weird to me. I have no issue with her killing the animal especially if it will be consumed. I don't like when they kill elephants though or big cats that won't get eaten or used in any meaningful way but I also understand if those animals are a nuisance. I'd hope that the ranchers/farmers/property owners would consider other ways of protecting their property though prior to killing off animals, but sometimes it is necessary for that reason IMO as well.

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If it's not the thrill what makes it fun? I can see hunting for food, most of us eat meat and it's an animal that has to be killed for us to eat. I don't understand hunting for sport or for fun.
What makes it fun? Spending time with your father.
What makes it fun? Hiking up in the woods picking black caps while you go.
What makes it fun? Learning a valuable life lesson on being self sufficient. Aka I can fend and feed myself without being reliant on a grocery store markup. My example in florida is Feral hogs. For the cost of 1 pound of pork, I can take an entire hog. I take multiple hogs. In NY it was turkey and deer. I lived on venison most of the year. I'd take the maximum doe and bucks that I could.
What makes it fun? Literally everything. From learning how to use a game call, to learning what to look for when climbing a tree (deer) so you don't wind up getting injured or killed, how to judge wind, how to accurately and humanely dispatch an animal with 1 shot not wounding it for it to suffer.

Things you don't understand because you've never experienced. That's what makes it fun. Venture out of the comfort and confines of a city or HOA. Try it sometime. Might not be your cup of tea, still might not understand it. But that will happen when you take things for granted via the super market.

977 posts, read 568,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't mean to single you out in particular, but...

I too am not a hunter. I too do not understand the thrill of killing an animal. But, guess what? I don't have to understand it. Hunting in general is well regulated by local authorities, and most hunters are more concerned about animal populations as a whole than the general population. If hunters want to kill animals, you, I, or anyone else don't need to understand it. So long as they are following the relevant local laws and regulations that deal with hunting, then why is it our business?

Old 07-02-2018, 08:16 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
While I have no interest in trophy hunting, I will not fault someone who does and is involved in game management. Managing herds properly is important and if you can get wealthy people to contribute to your expenses then more's the better. If it is true that this bull would have been culled because of killing younger bulls then his days were numbered anyway and it would have been a game manager doing it, with no extra income from the American hunter.

As far as selfies and neanderthals or other ancient humans, what the hell do you think cave drawings of hunts are? Or stories told through generations? GMAB.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Neanderthals, Homo Sapiens and every other group you may be descended from. Humans have always killed and eaten other animals and hunters have always taken pride in their skills. Hunting is about as normal, natural and human an activity as there is. Who are you virtue signalling to with this? Intelligent herbivore friends on some alien planet?

When it's going out in the local area to put food on the table I agree. Traveling great distances at no doubt great expense to do so? Not so much.

Personally, with such a big wide world out there I'd be disappointed if I wasted a dream to merely kill a defenseless animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies