Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:48 PM

30,407 posts, read 23,874,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it's not about this animal being an endangered species or not. It about an animal that has a life in the wild. It's part of that ecosystem. It's lived there, fought battles there, fathered offspring there and took care of itself as best it could. Now here comes someone with a high powered rifle who enjoys killing large wild animals and poof, it's life is gone like it didn't matter at all. And for what? So someone with a big ego and probably a lot of money can get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing they killed something that was doing nothing more than minding it's own business and living out it's life.
I only glanced at the picture because I find it revolting.
I think my posts made that clear that I tend to have that same viewpoint. The difference is, I do understand that hunting does help with conservation....although I'd prefer, as Hockey said, it was done naturally since they did it without us.

But yes, I also believe that bragging about it is all about ego first. The fact that it helped with conservation, I believe, came as a distant second with this 'hunter'.

Nonetheless, it was legal for her to do, so there's not an issue there as far as her hunting is concerned, from a legal standpoint.

As the article states, that I quoted, "morally and ethically" are different points...and I'm there with you, I don't find it "great" at all. Again, however, because it was legal for her to do so, me yelling at her on social media isn't going to do a thing. It's legal, she did it, she bragged about it, I think she's disgusting for bragging about killing something for a "trophy", but then I move on with my life...except to reply to City Data posts responding to anything I've said about the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm talking about the entire world, not just Africa. I don't think anyone has to die, but certainly we would need to restructure the way we live as humans. And it would be great if we could expand the natural preserves in the world (giving animals more breathing room from our cities).

I imagine much of the progress could be accomplished by simply rethinking the way we use our lands. Reduce/eliminate many monocultures in food production. Allow animals to co-exist on "human-owned" land (as they do in much of the world).
We have too many people. I'm not advocating that people be killed, but I think we should advocate not having a ton of kids, either. A lot of societies have a lot of kids...the earth is overpopulated with humans, of all stripes.

And for those who want to live out in the middle of nowhere once they've earned their money in the city and want to "get away from it all", take what comes with the territory. If you encounter a bobcat, a gator, a wolf, whatever, you moved into their territory, take it or leave it, but don't go around shooting random animals because you got attacked. That pisses me off more than anything.

In FL, because people are stupid and feed gators (which is not legal), the gators come to know humans as a source of food and start to lose their fear of people. That makes them dangerous. And when any gator over 4' attacks someone, F&W go out in search for 'the gator' and kill whatever they find that is 4' or more, whether that was the gator or not. Same goes with other wildlife. "Well, the coyotes that we found were agitated, so it must have been them. We destroyed them."

All these people touting how much they 'love nature' but then want to kill everything the moment one of them attacks a human. Sharks, mountain lions, gators, bears, etc.

Humans are, overall, very stupid when it comes to co-existing with nature and animals. The animals suffer for it.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 07-02-2018 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 02:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,305,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I've never seen giraffe meat in groceries.
Exactly.

I wish the giraffe had kicked her in the head and killed HER instead. Effin idiots flying around the world to kill animals for sport. Drives me nuts.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:05 PM

19,782 posts, read 12,345,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Exactly.

I wish the giraffe had kicked her in the head and killed HER instead. Effin idiots flying around the world to kill animals for sport. Drives me nuts.
So if the animal was to be culled anyway, why do you care who legally shot it?

Old 07-02-2018, 03:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,305,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So if the animal was to be culled anyway, why do you care who legally shot it?
Because I do, that’s why.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM

46,382 posts, read 27,247,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469
I've never seen giraffe meat in groceries.

You shop in Africa?

Quote:
Exactly.

You shop in Africa?

It was all legal....

Quote:
Because I do, that’s why.

Who cares....it was legal....

Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM

923 posts, read 497,309 times
Don't like hunting? Don't hunt!

Old 07-02-2018, 03:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,171,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I don't see why not. The idea that they're a wild dog turned me off from eating them.
That and rabies. It was possible to see deer with rabies. But coyotes being scavengers would eat anything dead or wounded. They were a scourge for trappers.
The possibility of a rabid coyote is likely as they do go after weaker, dying, dead meat.
Yeah, I forgot about the risk of rabies. Rabies occurs mainly in bats on the west coast, but I have heard that raccoons and coyotes are much likelier vectors on the east half of the country.

I've also eaten dog meat before while travelling, and did not like the taste at all.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:10 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,679,165 times
She points out that the giraffe she killed was 18, too old to breed, and had killed three younger bulls who were able to breed, causing the herd’s population to decrease. Now, with the older giraffe dead, the younger bulls are able to continue to breed and can increase the population.

“This is called conservation through game management,” says Talley, who insists hers was not a “canned” hunt.

How in the world did these creatures manage to survive and thrive for thousands of years without humans "managing" them???

Old 07-02-2018, 04:19 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,566,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
She points out that the giraffe she killed was 18, too old to breed, and had killed three younger bulls who were able to breed, causing the herd’s population to decrease. Now, with the older giraffe dead, the younger bulls are able to continue to breed and can increase the population.

“This is called conservation through game management,” says Talley, who insists hers was not a “canned” hunt.

How in the world did these creatures manage to survive and thrive for thousands of years without humans "managing" them???
The real issue is they've lost their habitat to humans. We've gotten to the point with our population that without management and intervention the animals will be lost entirely in some cases. I don't particularly like these African trophy hunts but sometimes they serve a legitimate purpose, taking cull animals and providing money they would not otherwise get for conservation uses. Some of the people involved are easy to not like I will say that. Rich people who think they own the world. It's not an ideal approach but we are talking Africa, the economic and social issues there make conservation issues a hard sell.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:29 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,790,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
[How in the world did these creatures manage to survive and thrive for thousands of years without humans "managing" them???
They were sharing Africa with less than 100 million humans, none of whom had guns. Now there are 1.2 billion humans there. Soon there will be 4 billion Africans and, without conservation and management, zero giraffes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies