Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 06:13 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see statistics. I do not care, unless it is something that I should be really worried about. I know what the statistics say. Statistics in itself are not racist. People are. People who only use statistics as a way to justify their hatred for Black people are themselves bigots trying to justify their actions. It is not so much just plausible deniability. There is evidence of said person's bigoted attitudes. However, it is more or less about trying to make the the unacceptable acceptable. Said persons know what they are doing. Rather it isn't about admitting to the action, it is admitting to wrong-doing. What better way to deny any wrong doing than to get other people to see one's actions as acceptable.

I've seen those social experiments on 20/20. I've seen that particular episode. It makes me consider that I have to always be on my Ps and Qs just so I don't attract any attention, and even that might not be enough.

Yes. I totally agree with what you are saying. I look at things like the guy who walks through a swarm of gnats and starts behaving erratically...but it only seems erratic if you are not aware that the person has walked through a swarm of gnats. If you have a vested interest in making it appear like something is wrong with that person.....you will seek to suppress the information of the person walking through gnats, thus allowing the persons behavior to be seen as in a vacuum and not as a REACTION to something else external.

In light of that, in order to show black people as inherently dysfunctional.....and hence inferior, black behavior as a reaction to some external occurrence, like racism, has to be suppressed/discredited. This is why racism must be denied at all cost. It's akin to to letting it be known that the guy acting erratically has walked through a swarm of gnats, thus destroying the narrative of those whose narrative is to portray the person as naturally crazy.

I am with you. I know that I am not a criminal. I know those statics are being misused to justify and cover for cowardly racist, who use the statistic to make an argument that "Truth is inherently not racist". The statistic is only being used because they are seeking to deny to other....and themselves, that they are racist. Its a plausible excuse only in their minds....but they project that others are as ignorant as they are.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Because they make up over 50% of all murderers and only 5% of doctors.
That's why

Obviously your focus is not on statistical probability....but rather black rates relative to whites. I mean, if there were only 2 murder in the country last year, and one was committed by a black person, that would be enough evidence in your mind to warrant seeing blacks are criminals because of the 50% of the murders were committed by blacks while 13% of the population is black, which shows a higher rate for blacks than whites.....ergo....black inferiority to whites. It has nothing to do with the probability of a person being murdered by blacks.....which is extremely rare....what is important to you is to show that blacks are inherently more dysfunctional to white and to use that to justify seeing the typical black person in a negative light relative to a white person.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What does any of this have to do with Black people who are not criminals?

They are the saviors in the deal. If I try to educate a black person where it all went wrong and what needs to happen to correct it, I will be called a racist, all because I'm not black and cannot possibly know anything about them and then trying to tell them like it is.
I'm not a racist, I'm a realist.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Or the black kid who knocked on someones door for directions and had a shotgun pointed at him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
It's just crazy out there right now in Trump's America.
Yea, jsut like this incident in 2016...Obama's America, lol.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-sh...usetts-murder/

https://www.masslive.com/news/index....in_chicop.html

What color was the kid? Strange how that incident did not get coast to coast coverage blasting on the headlines for a week.

Quote:
Obviously your focus is not on statistical probability....but rather black rates relative to whites. I mean, if there were only 2 murder in the country last year, and one was committed by a black person, that would be enough evidence in your mind to warrant seeing blacks are criminals because of the 50% of the murders were committed by blacks while 13% of the population is black, which shows a higher rate for blacks than whites.....ergo....black inferiority to whites. It has nothing to do with the probability of a person being murdered by blacks.....which is extremely rare....what is important to you is to show that blacks are inherently more dysfunctional to white and to use that to justify seeing the typical black person in a negative light relative to a white person.
Yet you will have no issue using rates when it benefits your view, right? The entire basis of this thread is over a few events, out of the billions of interactions that occur per day between blacks and whites. Same with police killings, where the probability is low, extremely low, of being killed by a cop, yet I am certain I will find a thread on here about you complaining about cops and just how dangerous they are to blacks.(maybe I am wrong and I will not find a thread on here with you saying something like that?)

Old 07-06-2018, 06:36 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They are the saviors in the deal. If I try to educate a black person where it all went wrong and what needs to happen to correct it, I will be called a racist, all because I'm not black and cannot possibly know anything about them and then trying to tell them like it is.
I'm not a racist, I'm a realist.
How are they the saviors? I'm just trying to live my life being a Black man in America. My concern is making sure I live a good life. I am concerned about making sure I can live my life without having to deal with dealing with racist people. I don't want the cops called on me for trivial stuff. It wastes my time and the policeman's time. Again, what is in it for me?

Old 07-06-2018, 06:42 PM

482 posts, read 242,453 times
Quote:
Obviously your focus is not on statistical probability....but rather black rates relative to whites. I mean, if there were only 2 murder in the country past year, and one was committed by a black person, that would be enough evidence in your mind to warrant seeing blacks are criminals because of the 50% of the murders were committed by blacks while 13% of the population is black, which shows a higher rate for blacks than whites.....ergo....black inferiority to whites. It has nothing to do with the probability of a person being murdered by blacks.....which is extremely rare....what is important to you is to show that blacks are inherently more dysfunctional to white and to use that to justify seeing the typical black person in a negative light relative to a white person.
It wouldn't. I'm merely pointing out why people are more likely to call the police on blacks when they're not doing anything. I don't think it's Justified at all. I'm just telling you why they do it.

I'm not even White. You can put your Pitchfork down.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yea, jsut like this incident in 2016...Obama's America, lol.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/teen-sh...usetts-murder/

https://www.masslive.com/news/index....in_chicop.html

What color was the kid? Strange how that incident did not get coast to coast coverage blasting on the headlines for a week.

Yet you will have no issue using rates when it benefits your view, right? The entire basis of this thread is over a few events, out of the billions of interactions that occur per day between blacks and whites. Same with police killings, where the probability is low, extremely low, of being killed by a cop, yet I am certain I will find a thread on here about you complaining about cops and just how dangerous they are to blacks.(maybe I am wrong and I will not find a thread on here with you saying something like that?)

I don't use events like what is posted by the OP as proof of anything. And I agree with you about the probability of being killed by a police is extremely low. None of my beliefs are based upon incidents reported. My view of the police is based upon my own personal experience as a black man and my beliefs concerning whites is based upon my own personal experience, conversations, family history and the like. I look at studies and scholarly research on the subject also. Never do I base my beliefs or arguments on current events, even though I will use them to make a point.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:48 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Many years ago, I had a black boyfriend. At the time I lived in a predominantly white neighborhood. He came to my place all the time and I went to his all the time. One time he came over and I asked him to plant a tree with me out front. We were half way digging our hole when a cop came by. Said someone reported a suspicious person. He showed his ID and I explained to the cop that I lived there and we were just planting a tree. The cop went on his way.

When I started working in engineering, one time a there was an operation that needed precise surveying for elevations. Our surveyor was black. He was out there with his surveying equipment when a cop came by because someone reported a suspicious person.

Years later I had moved to a different company. While in the office I talked with my boss. He shared with me that many years ago he was a surveyor and while he was with a full crew playing out stations and forming up forms for a concrete pour a cop came by and asked him for his ID because someone reported a suspicious person. He was the only black guy there at the time.

I currently work with an older guy who's about to retire. The other day he told me he used to be a home inspector and one time while inspecting a property a couple cops came by asking for his ID because someone reported him.

I know there have been some high profile cases of black people doing every day things getting called on. These cases are high profile because there was a camera and social media. Just remember that for the longest time there was no cell phone cameras and social media. And not everyone makes a scene. Most people just show their ID to get it over with.

I know a lot of white people have trouble believing that cops get called on black people for doing ordinary things. Black people are too aware of this.
I worked with a white girl who traveled in from out of town. The hospital we worked at was near a black neighborhood. She got a flat tire and went into a bar to get help. A black guy came up to her and told her to get out of here now. She said she needed help, he repeated... I said, get in your car, I don't care if you ride the rims, get out of here now.

If you look hard enough, and it seems you do, you can find stories of all kinds everywhere Rachel.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:49 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Yes. I totally agree with what you are saying. I look at things like the guy who walks through a swarm of gnats and starts behaving erratically...but it only seems erratic if you are not aware that the person has walked through a swarm of gnats. If you have a vested interest in making it appear like something is wrong with that person.....you will seek to suppress the information of the person walking through gnats, thus allowing the persons behavior to be seen as in a vacuum and not as a REACTION to something else external.

In light of that, in order to show black people as inherently dysfunctional.....and hence inferior, black behavior as a reaction to some external occurrence, like racism, has to be suppressed/discredited. This is why racism must be denied at all cost. It's akin to to letting it be known that the guy acting erratically has walked through a swarm of gnats, thus destroying the narrative of those whose narrative is to portray the person as naturally crazy.

I am with you. I know that I am not a criminal. I know those statics are being misused to justify and cover for cowardly racist, who use the statistic to make an argument that "Truth is inherently not racist". The statistic is only being used because they are seeking to deny to other....and themselves, that they are racist. Its a plausible excuse only in their minds....but they project that others are as ignorant as they are.
One thing about many racist people: They are cowards. Many racist persons try to make themselves look like "concerned citizens". Said persons are invested in the idea of black inferiority. Back in the days of Jim Crow, said persons were more bold with it and just admitted their hatred of Blacks. Some did cite things like crime and violence, but alot of people just admitted how they felt without making many justifications for it. Nowadays, racist persons try to be more sly with it.

Truth is, many people want to make themselves feel good about themselves by putting others down.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
It wouldn't. I'm merely pointing out why people are more likely to call the police on blacks when they're not doing anything. I don't think it's Justified at all. I'm just telling you why they do it.

I'm not even White. You can put your Pitchfork down.

You are pointing out and or assuming that others are ignorant. Are you projecting? I don't believe that people have a statistical reason to fear blacks and violent crime if less than 1% of blacks are committing violent crimes. It's statistically irrelevant that blacks commit a disproportionate percentage of violent crimes when less than 1% of blacks are doing such....I mean....is there really any less of a threat from the typical black person if blacks committed violent crime proportionate to their numbers in the general population? That is a insignificant difference statistically in regards to the probability that a an unknown black person is a violent criminal.

I don't assume people are that STUPID....but I do think they are that RACIST and just using the statics as an excuse to justify treating blacks negatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies