Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:16 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You implied that Academy can either keep doing with it is doing and eventually someone will steal a gun and kill someone with it and Academy has huge lawsuit to deal with or stop selling guns. You seem to say that they face a huge liability and they might.

The manager did not know this when he stopped the perp. Hindsight is great but he got lucky. I am fine with Academy changing the rules say if it involves stealing a firearm. Or hold a persons ID when they are checking out the firearms. But I don't blame Academy for adhering to the rules they have in place.
LOL I never said Academy should stop selling guns! I said that was poor policy and bad upper management judgement! I'd have given the guy a raise for stopping a potential fustercluck for me! If that firearm made its way to kill someone and it was my stores policy to be irresponsible and just let a theif take a firearm, it is my ass for enabling irresponsible practices. But again, not really, as I could turn around and blame the employee.

How on earth you arrived to herp derp don't sell guns is beyond me.

But I wouldn't do that. I'd have given the employee a raise and said job well done. You prevented a potentially far worse situation other than a firearm being stolen that would have been far worse for the both of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 03:21 PM

30,197 posts, read 11,845,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The employees were yelling stop him he stole a gun. Try reading the entire story before making this statement.

I did not say that and yes I did read the story. I said the manager did not know what the perp intended to do or that he stole the ammo.

Reading comprehension please...

Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,390,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There was an incident not too long ago at a big box store where a loss prevention employee and a regular employee got into it with someone trying to steal something. They were both shot dead.
There was a murder like this here in Dallas in April, maybe two of the victims ended up dying so it could be the incident you're thinking about. As it happened, I was driving the kids home when a huge convoy of ambulances and police cars blew past us. I later found out there had been a shooting behind the store where my stepson works for a big national chain. His shift had ended and he was not there, and for once he was thoughtful enough to contact us to confirm that he was okay. Anyway . . . .

Store security guy saw suspicious activity and contacted an off-duty DPD officer who was in the store at the time. She detained the guy, found an outstanding warrant, and called DPD. Two officers showed up, but somehow they botched the weapon search, and as they were cuffing him he pulled a gun and shot the security employee and the two on-duty cops. One of the cops died, and a second one may have later.

Anyway, the guy who lives across the alley from me recently "retired" and went to work at another location of the same retailer. He said management never even mentioned the shooting at the other store, and store policy was to leave the customer/shoplifter alone.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,406,428 times
Ironic a store a manager stops a bad guy from firing on other people and that stored himself is fired from his job.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Ironic a store a manager stops a bad guy from firing on other people and that stored himself is fired from his job.
Any store selling firearms should at least have the guy behind the counter armed and trained. I'd not want to to work where I couldn't carry.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:29 PM

17,451 posts, read 9,285,984 times
So ... the thief says he needed a gun because somebody was threatening him. He admits he stole guns and will do it again. The gun,ammo and other stuff was his 3rd gun theft in a matter of hours.
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/6d0...ason-white.jpg

What did the Tallahassee Court do with 3 charges of Felony theft you might ask ... let him out of Jail on $5,000 bail.
Meanwhile, White posted $5,000 bail and was released from the Leon County jail on July 6. He faces three counts of grand theft of a firearm after being connected to the theft of two other guns from a pawn shop just hours before he entered Academy Sports.

White, according to court records, said he and his family were being threatened by an unknown person and he wanted the gun to “kill him."

“He repeatedly said ‘I stole and I admit to it’ and ‘I will steal again when I get out of jail,’” officers wrote in their report.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ger/778561002/

The Leftists complain constantly about the GUNS! The real problem is the prosecutors and Judges. He said he would steal again as soon as he was out of jail... they said OK, and let him out. Crazy people.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-13-2018 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 03:53 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,609,648 times
Well, fact is, as some have already said, most retail stores have it in their rulebooks not to chase/tackle/etc a thief. In high school, I worked at Circuit City for a little while, and we once saw a guy walking out the door with a huge TV, at least 60" if I am remembering correctly. A couple of us ran over to him, and asked him to stop. He kept walking and saying he was owed the TV (not sure what that meant), so we just followed him to the parking lot, with the police on the phone, and gave them his tag number and description. Our GM told us that we were lucky we didn't touch him or the buggy, because we could have been terminated, because they deem it a liability and don't want their employees playing hero.

You can argue that it is a stupid policy all you want, but the management did what they had to do to follow policy, and they are no where near the only company that would have done so. But don't let facts get in your way.

For the record, I tend to think it's stupid as well, but I also think that putting your life on the line for a company that will replace you in a week if you get shot and killed trying to stop a shoplifter is stupid.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:05 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,541,708 times
Academy hired the manager back apparently

Old 07-13-2018, 04:23 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Academy hired the manager back apparently
Want to mess with someone for doing the right thing? And it's 2nd Amendment related?
Remind Academy there are other retailers that are out there that out price them and don't fire their employees for doing the right thing. I found phone numbers and emails dispensed them to the 2A groups I'm in.
Seems academy doesn't want what happened to Dicks to happen to them.
My local Dicks may be going out of business soon after the stunt Dicks pulled, that parking lot has been vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies