Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:34 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,236,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Where did you read that the meat was "frozen"? All one has read in media reports is that the surplus meat and poultry is in "cold storage". That could be anything from deep refrigeration to perhaps frozen, but is not automatically the latter.

Where did you read it's not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 05:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,600,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It will all be destroyed before they let the prices come down.
Quote:
Lookee here; since some of you either are incapable of doing independent research, and or simply run with whatever suits your agenda this meat/poultry glut is *NOT* merely a result of tariffs per se.

Meat (especially red) consumption by Americans has been decreasing for decades on average. For various and vast reasons agriculture in this country still produces far more than can be sold locally, so USA like other nations turns to exports.

It can take several months to years before an infant animal is ready for slaughter, so obviously predicting future market sales is always risky.

Asia only accounts for a small amount of American meat exports. But overall USA beef producers export about 15 percent of their product. Take a slack in demand (or miscalculation) add a bit of tariffs or whatever, and then you've got problems.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/23/beef...t-tariffs.html
If we aren't using the meat - maybe we could just stop killing animals unnecessarily.

Anyone thought of that?

Old 07-24-2018, 06:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,766,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are people really this stupid?

When you kill a product, it goes in the freezer.....

It does not go in a fridge, unless it for immediate consumption.....

If it's for long term it's vacuum sealed....

When that company buys that product, it goes in a freezer...while being brought to them in a freezer...

I'm amazed at the stupidity of the left....
Stupidity of the left? When there is oversupply and our trade partners are going to other sources, it's great that the meat prices will go down. But I seriously doubt the meat farmers are too happy to see those price decreases. No pity though, they voted for that.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,236,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Stupidity of the left?

Is that what you think I said?

Quote:
When there is oversupply and our trade partners are going to other sources, it's great that the meat prices will go down. But I seriously doubt the meat farmers are too happy to see those price decreases. No pity though, they voted for that.

All meat farmers are only righties?

Well, I guess you could be right, I mean, you know, fly over country....

Old 07-24-2018, 07:37 PM

39,907 posts, read 26,617,117 times
Quote:
Who's got a good smoker? Pulled pork samwiches for everybody!
I guess I better pick up a few more bags of pellets for the Traeger.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:05 PM

32,029 posts, read 27,231,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Where did you read it's not?

It is just common sense to those that know about meat/poultry processing in this country and or those who purchase, including everyone from housewives to chefs.

If said stockpiles were frozen articles would simply say so instead of merely "cold storage". The two are not same and broadly like the difference between putting things in a fridge versus freezer.

Not all meat, poultry or whatever is automatically frozen in the USA. Much depends upon who is doing the purchasing and other factors.

You've obviously not engaged in much meat shopping because vast amounts of stuff in the "meat section" is labeled "never frozen" or "thawed from frozen". Wendy's for years has made a big deal that their beef patties are "never frozen".

https://www.quora.com/How-long-after...h-supermarkets

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ers/402584002/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/th...n-taste.96155/

When it comes to poultry the federal government says:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...-similar-terms

If said surplus meat or poultry were in deep freeze storage, then there would be less of an issue in how to get rid. Just leave it there for a few months or so until demand warrants then..... Of course there becomes the question of running out of freezer space.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I guess I better pick up a few more bags of pellets for the Traeger.
Great! Will be over with the family! *LOL* What time are we eating and what is your beverage of choice (was brought up never to arrive empty handed).

Old 07-24-2018, 08:08 PM

24,030 posts, read 12,813,773 times
Good. So many in this country had been shut out from often eating meat because of the high prices. Meat can almost be classified as a luxury item, even the cheap cuts. If the prices drop then more people will buy.

Quote:
I believe I said in the OP that we'll get a few turkeys for the freezer CHEAP. What part of that was not clear? But 2.5 billion pounds of meat is a lot of meat and I'm sure the meat farmers are not thrilled that they will likely be losing a lot of money since they've lost so much trade power.
All throughout this thread you talk about getting turkeys cheap because of this. Where do you shop that you can't find cheap turkeys in Nov and Dec? I find them for around 60 cents per pound, sometimes a few cents higher or lower, around those holidays. Plan your shopping around holidays and you can usually find certain meats cheaper (I love St. Pat's day--cheaper corned beef).

Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,907,534 times
I hope the meat stays here... I love steaks, chicken, and bacon... Sorry for the rest of the world and their rice with lettuce meals... At the end of it, we will win and their games were for nothing.... Win, win...

Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
If we aren't using the meat - maybe we could just stop killing animals unnecessarily.

Anyone thought of that?
Well aside from wild game that would cause all sorts of problems. This is because right or wrong (depending upon your views) many in this country make their living from raising animals for food.

The beef industry is already under siege from declining dairy prices (what do you thinks happens to cows surplus to milk producing requirements?), and or the "war" on eating red meat that has been going on for decades now.

On average beef consumption in USA has been on a decline since the highs of 1970's.
2018 Will See High Meat Consumption in the U.S., but the American Diet is Shifting | World Resources Institute

IIRC that is when all the health ills from eating all that meat post WWII years began to become evident with people stroking out and other high levels of cardiovascular disease. Much of that was attributed to high red meat consumption along with smoking and booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies