Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,764,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Good. So many in this country had been shut out from often eating meat because of the high prices. Meat can almost be classified as a luxury item, even the cheap cuts. If the prices drop then more people will buy.

All throughout this thread you talk about getting turkeys cheap because of this. Where do you shop that you can't find cheap turkeys in Nov and Dec? I find them for around 60 cents per pound, sometimes a few cents higher or lower, around those holidays. Plan your shopping around holidays and you can usually find certain meats cheaper (I love St. Pat's day--cheaper corned beef).
Well it was meant humorously but I will say, turkeys tend to sell out quickly around the holidays at least the big ones do and we make a lot of turkey. So yes, I would buy a few large ones. But again, this was mostly meant in jest. Restrained rage over the fact that Trump is taking $12 Billion in taxpayer dollars to bail out farmers who elected him because Trump created a trade war. I'm supposed to give farmers my money to bail them out for electing Trump. I don't have a lot of sympathy for meat farmers now or anytime in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 PM

73,155 posts, read 62,859,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So we'll finally see some relief from rising food prices, especially beef? Sounds like it's time for a BBQ.
Not really. Meat being stockpiled won't last forever.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not really. Meat being stockpiled won't last forever.
No it won't but they have been making it sound like a freezer has magical powers and that meat will keep for years.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:37 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,066,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are people really this stupid?
Some people here sure are, this OP is a perfect example of their best work.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Some people here sure are, this OP is a perfect example of their best work.
Personal attacks now? Please show the error in the OP.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Remember when Trump said trade wars are easy to win? We have too many farmers and that includes meat. But I think we'll buy four or five turkeys for the freezer this year, we should be able to get a great deal.

"Federal data, coming as early as Monday, are expected to show a record level of beef, pork, poultry and turkey being stockpiled in U.S. facilities, rising above 2.5 billion pounds, agricultural analysts said".

2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meat-pi...low-1532268000
Great, we just keep on winning.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...amount-in-2018

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 PM

32,024 posts, read 27,213,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I hope the meat stays here... I love steaks, chicken, and bacon... Sorry for the rest of the world and their rice with lettuce meals... At the end of it, we will win and their games were for nothing.... Win, win...
Yes, those poor "rice with lettuce" meals countries. Meanwhile many of them have longer average lifespans then the USA. A good portion of that difference comes down to lifestyle which includes diet.

Geoba.se: Gazetteer - The World - Life Expectancy - Top 100+ By Country (2018)

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 PM

34,299 posts, read 15,713,373 times
Quote:
Remember when Trump said trade wars are easy to win? We have too many farmers and that includes meat. But I think we'll buy four or five turkeys for the freezer this year, we should be able to get a great deal.

"Federal data, coming as early as Monday, are expected to show a record level of beef, pork, poultry and turkey being stockpiled in U.S. facilities, rising above 2.5 billion pounds, agricultural analysts said".

2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meat-pi...low-1532268000
Why aren't the do gooders at the UN buying it up cheap to feed the hungry ? Where are the NGO's ?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Personal attacks now? Please show the error in the OP.
Get over yourself you delicate flower, nobody attacked you.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Why aren't the do gooders at the UN buying it up cheap to feed the hungry ? Where are the NGO's ?
It wouldn't matter, that would be our tax dollars too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies