Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 07:10 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I am just seeing where the article is saying that the small minority population poses problems "for new arrivals" Which it does. I think you folks just mode a wild assumption about the articles intent and Ra with it. Of course not having people around you who are similar to you can pose issues. Salons that cater to African-American customers not being readily available is ons. The ability to attract talented members of minority groups that might see more diverse areas as greener pastures is another. How did you folks get from that to discussions of crime rates, or acting like the authors were condemning the area? That is quite a leap.
I would no doubt encounter son problems and inconveniences if I moved to rural Japan or another racially or ethnically homogenous area where I wasn't a member of the dominant group and I was one of a minute percentage of people who weren't members of that group. Writing an article about those problems wouldn't be tantamount to a condemnation of that area...it would simply be an exposition of facts.
Talented minorities don't need an ethnic set up, they go right for the white neighborhoods.

I'm not sure what anyone thinks they can do about rural areas. The cities have salons that do black hair, and Spanish speaking areas. These are small states with a lot of small towns and a few small cities. Minorities tend to congregate in parts of the cities, where there are services.

The goal for immigrants and minorities should be to assimilate to an area anyway, as quickly as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:22 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The NYT attended a meeting of 100 business leaders in NH. The NYT reported on what was discussed at the meeting. It was NH residents, the leaders of the NH businesses, that made the comments. The NYT simply quoted what was said during the meeting.
Makes me wonder if you read the same piece I did. It is hardly a simple collection of quotes from the meeting. Rather it is the NYT author's own analysis of the "problem" of too much whiteness in Northern New England.
Quote:
The NH business leaders also said they want to attract younger people - millennials. Yet the thread heading only focuses on "white" and purposely ignores the other large discussion matter, age, which has zero to do with race.
You blame me for making it about race when the title of the NYT piece is New Hampshire, 94 Percent White, Asks: How Do You Diversify a Whole State?

Quote:
Bottom line, the business leaders of NH had 1 meeting in which they brainstormed how to attract new workers(due to 2% unemployment and the need for workers) and some people got their feelings hurt because race was one of the several topics discussed in the brainstorming meeting. Although age was discussed just as much and possibly more, than race, during the same meeting. But all the comments are about race in this thread. It's obviously a hot button that gets people riled up. Maybe race should never be discussed at all else people get their feelings hurt and start getting defensive.
Bottom line, the main purpose of the group, and of the article, is to promote demographic change in New Hampshire. And by demographic change they mostly mean making it less white.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:47 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Basically what I've learned from this thread is that for most white people, the mere possibility of being welcoming to non-white people is a massive liberal race baiting conspiracy, is completely unacceptable, and will result in said area going down the tubes? Am I right?

I guess it's good to be openly racist now.
I don't care how you will call me. Blacks involved in 50% of the violent crime despite being 12% of the population. I just don't want dangerous people around, that's all. And that's the reason why I did anything I can to live in white/Asian area with 10 rate "white/Asian" school.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:06 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times
One of the many forums the racists speak without consequences. Behind their keyboard of courage.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 1,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I don't care how you will call me. Blacks involved in 50% of the violent crime despite being 12% of the population. I just don't want dangerous people around, that's all. And that's the reason why I did anything I can to live in white/Asian area with 10 rate "white/Asian" school.
This board will call you racist but let me tell you other successful blacks do the same thing. They know not to live in all black areas either.

I think many of the people who claim to not be racist have never lived around blacks, or any minority. Someone from Vermont cannot really know if they're racist because they've never really been around anything but their own.

I don't think the fact that NE is rural holds up as an excuse.. Look at the chart posted on where blacks live and find the Missippi river. Explain rural to that chart.

Upper NE never went black because it never had raw industry and it's leaders didn't want them. Thats the hard truth. Come down to Greenville, Atlanta or Memphis if you want to see what NE would look like otherwise. Your politics kept you isolated but now Greenville and Atlanta are booming and NE is sort of in idle as are most all white areas as America changes andcwinners and losers trade places.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From the article, I don't think they're expecting the culture of northern New England to change. I think they want things like housing and businesses that might have more "ethnic" options.
What on earth is ethnic housing? There are ethnic shops in the cities and scattered around northern NE but it sounds like "they" want something more targeted.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:42 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
If people wish to move to ethnically strange areas, then they need to brave the ethnic inconvenience. We don't demand that towns in backwater China change their housing and shopping options because Westerners think that it might be neat to live there.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
So you regard Black people as a whole as dangerous? You would judge the average Black person based on the very worst of the Black population? Look, I'm not asking you to live in a 70% Black area. No one is asking you to do that. However, the message I'm getting from you that you regard all Black people as dangerous. And if that is what you think, then yes, I could call you a racist.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:14 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adopsler View Post
Black people don't do cold weather. This is well known.

If you ask me, it's well past time to move up to Canada. What's the difference? It's the same cold up there but you don't get the hand basket speeding to hell that the USA is.

on the bold...

I'm black. I live in Ohio and it gets just as cold here in the winter as New England. My family has lived here since the 1840s. I have family who moved from OH and MI and IN in the 19th century to Canada and still have family there.

The bold is really silly.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Northern New England is wicked white. The NYT wants you to know that this is a huge, HUGE problem.

All those white people braving the snowy white Northern New England winters, then enjoying themselves doing white people stuff at their summer camps and cottages by the lake. ... not even thinking about the lack of basic services like salons that specialize in ironing nappy hair? I tell you, something must be done!

NYT: "New Hampshire, 94 Percent White, Asks: How Do You Diversify a Whole State?", by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review

On this, the NYT reported on things being discussed in the local community there which is what they do as a media organization - report stuff they think people will be interested in -interestingly you were lol.

However, I thought it interesting that the area they mentioned in the article - Lynn, MA - some of my family lived there in the early 1900s and there was a small black community there.

You really are obsessed with racial things and being afraid of the mention of black and hispanics it seems. Very strange post in regards to your bold as well.

The NYT article spoke a lot about local businesses being concerned with the aging white population in New England and them not being able to atrract younger workers and diverse workers - the non-white population is growing more than the white population. So this actually could be a problem in specific communities in New England and something they would need to take note of if they are having issues filling positions.

I'll note, I have a cousin who lived in New England the past 4 years and she did say she felt isolated and felt it wasn't a good place to raise her black children in a very white area where there were few black people. She and her husband recently moved away from New England due to them both being experienced, educated professionals and easily able to capitalize off of the growing job market, and because even though they made good money and lived in a "safe" community, they wanted to live in a more diverse place and especially one that had a good sized black community for their sons.

As a black professional woman and parent, I'd do the same thing and I actually think it was brave of my cousin to move to such a white area that she did. I'd never move to an area that was 98% white (and note, I don't have a problem with whites who won't move to an area that is 98% black).

ETA: We don't iron our nappy hair....today most of us wear it nappy but there are salons that focus on making our nappiness more spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies